Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Yost
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My first solo conquest game. The level 5 city was revealed as the white city, with two altem guardsmen and some golems. If I'm running things correctly, each of those guardsmen has 8 armor and resistance to all. So I need to scrape together 16 attack to kill even one of them, and none of my fancy tricks like ice block or disintegrate will scratch them. I'm drawing 9 cards a turn due to my keeps and I've got all my units readied, but I haven't been able to come up with any way that my deck can get 16 attack. The only thing I've seen come through the offer that could maybe be useful would be Into The Fire with a bunch of units - that seems like a good way to get 12 attack together.

Even spending a whole day and night preparing I can't figure out how to scratch this city - what should I have looked for while I was building up t o this point? I picked up underground assault as I had read that it's important to pick up spells that are good to attack the cities, but that didn't end up helping me. Is this just a tough city, or should I have expected to be able to beat it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh G. Rection
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yostage wrote:
I'm drawing 9 cards a turn due to my keeps

You only draw the extra cards if you end your turn in the same or an adjacent space to one of your keeps, not every single turn. surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barrie Voice
United Kingdom
Letchworth Garden City
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
There are several spells that can make attacking cities much easier. In a game with my brother last night I had a spell that destroyed an enemy outright when powered for it's advanced effect.There is also a spell that removes all resistances or fortifications from enemy, I think it's expose.

There are also advanced actions like Agility that allows you to convert movement into attack which helps if you don't draw enough attack cards.

Some artifacts can create awesome combinations or kick out lots of damage. I've used an Expose/Sword of justice combo to take a city on a solo playthrough.

I think you'll find that on the next playthrough you'll start seeing how things can combine together in powerful combinations.

It took me several plays to start utilising spells and every game I discover new combinations that help me do something awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
I also purchased this and do not know what to do with it!
badge
I purchased this and do not know what to do with it!
mbmbmbmbmb
Amotep freezers are a great follower for that situation as is the one skill Tovak has that gives an enemny aromor penalty equal to the number of resistances it has. By far the easiest way to deal with those guys is to do most of the damage via armor penalties (tremor) the muscle up 2 damage

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kelly
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hugh_G_Rection wrote:
Yostage wrote:

You only draw the extra cards if you end your turn in the same or an adjacent space to one of your keeps, not every single turn. surprise

If he's on the white city tile, he could be starting turns on the keep there.
TK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Miller
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's more than 16 attack available just in your basic starting cards, even without playing anything sideways. Do you not have any mana crystals? Do you not have any units that can attack? Do you not have any advanced deed cards or level-up skills that can add attack? Also, any white or green spells will work on them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Miller
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tkelly wrote:
Hugh_G_Rection wrote:
Yostage wrote:

If he's on the white city tile, he could be starting turns on the keep there.
TK

Or any of the cities, if he's adjacent to a keep on the border of an adjacent tile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Also note that all blue and red attack effects (including fire and ice attacks, as well as spells) will still work on them - they are just half as effective.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Candi wrote:
Amotep freezers are a great follower for that situation as is the one skill Tovak has that gives an enemny aromor penalty equal to the number of resistances it has. By far the easiest way to deal with those guys is to do most of the damage via armor penalties (tremor) the muscle up 2 damage

The unit power you are referring to is powered by blue mana and thus won't affect an enemy with Ice Resistance.

Getting the right spells for city siege is critical - Tremor, Tornado, and Expose are all effective.

The biggest issue with the solo game is that building yourself up for city siege is the only viable path. In a multiplayer game you can "win" without taking any cities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
clarence
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Barrie Voice wrote:
There are several spells that can make attacking cities much easier. In a game with my brother last night I had a spell that destroyed an enemy outright when powered for it's advanced effect.

There is no spell in game that can destroyed an enemy outright. Tornado and Disintegrate
can only be use in the attack phase. You still need to absorb or block their damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Yost
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was able to take the white city on night 3 by breaking the sword of justice and the amulet of day - once I had doubled all physical attacks and removed all resistance, I only needed to come up with 12 physical attack total in order to get it doubled to 24 and take out the no-longer-resistant guards and golems. (these are artifacts I picked up after I gave up on the white city assault in day 3 and went around doing other stuff instead)

I was actually swimming in mana for most of the game with my skills - between dark fire magic, invocation, and polarization, I was able to turn wounds into gold mana in the day and fix the source at night to get almost whatever mana I needed.

But I think my position was actually pretty weak - I had very crappy units (peasants, swordsmen, and guardsmen) and not much in the way of good attacks.

Tornado showed up in the spell offer in day 3, so that could have also been used in a pinch. Flame Wall moved through the offer at one point - that would have gotten me up to fire attack 9, so that might have been useful in getting up to the big 16. Expose and Tremor never showed up, but I agree they would have been useful if they had. I had various other cool things - burning shield, ice shield, lethal chill - but they're all immune.

I had a leftover Underground Attack in my hand so I used it to tunnel over to the red 8 city for a last ditch attempt to win the game, but I just didn't have enough good stuff left over in my deck to get through the four defenders in one turn.

Without the sword of justice, I'm not sure I ever would have cracked this city - I agree that it's maybe possible I could scrape together 16 attack (esp. using Into The Heat), but to make that fly I need to stop 15 damage and generate 16 attack just to kill one of the three defenders, and then I need to come back and generate 16 attack AGAIN to take down the second guardsman. It's possible, but I don't think it's possible early enough in this particular game for me to then be able to get the red city as well. I really wanted to take the white city down on either night 2 or day 3 so that I had enough time to focus on the red city - is that normal? Or do you normally try to take down both cities on the last night?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Rodriguez
Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've done 4 solo conquests, and I've failed two because of the altem duo. Last one was with Norowas, in which I had the bad luck of drawing white city lvl 5 and red city lvl 8. Last round I had to defeat 1 altem guardsmen in the white city (I had killed all the others in the day) and 1 altem mage along with 3 other monsters (werewolf, illusionists and gunners and a ice dragon before!!!), suffice to say I couldn't do it even though I had expose (no black mana to cast mass expose). You simply can't generate 45+ attack in one round.

My advice is taking a whole city in round 5 and the other in round 6, otherwise it's very difficult, unless specially prepared for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gamequack wrote:
I've done 4 solo conquests, and I've failed two because of the altem duo. Last one was with Norowas, in which I had the bad luck of drawing white city lvl 5 and red city lvl 8. Last round I had to defeat 1 altem guardsmen in the white city (I had killed all the others in the day) and 1 altem mage along with 3 other monsters (werewolf, illusionists and gunners and a ice dragon before!!!), suffice to say I couldn't do it even though I had expose (no black mana to cast mass expose). You simply can't generate 45+ attack in one round.

I've generated 71 attack in one turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.