Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Lindley
United Kingdom
Larkfield, Aylesford
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

My parents come to visit every so often and when my son has gone to bed we (mainly me) get a board game out. They now see a life of games beyond backgammon, Monopoly (ewww) and the old favourite of ours, Ludo.

They have played most of the games I have and wouldn't mind getting one or two to play at home. The issue is that there will be only two of them and most of the games I have come alive with 4 or more players.

So, I come asking for suggestions on games they can play, based on a narrow criteria. Here we go...

Games which have already gone down well:
Ticket to Ride Europe
Settlers of Catan
Māori
Fast Flowing Forest Fellers
Pandemic

They did not like Dominion. At all.

The game needs to play well with (or be designed for) two players.
The game needs to be light to medium.
The game needs to be quick to set up.
The game needs to be not overly tactical.
The game needs to have little or no direct conflict (like underhandedness)

The game will score "bonus points" for being portable and be playable on a boat. This isn't a necessity.

One of my own would be Carcassone but I need more to go on!

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Oregon wonderful game
Jaipur
Fresco
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oystein eker
Norway
Unspecified
sola
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Roll through the Ages.

Bonus:
My copy have survived a wet basement. It will no doubt survive a moist boat trip.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I´d say my Topology firs all the criterias including the "portable and playable on a boat"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Thurn and Taxis and Kingdom Builder (though neither is very portable).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ellen D\'Hondt
Belgium
Wetteren
Oost Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about stone age?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you know they like Pandemic, that would work for them. Or perhaps the lighter but similar Forbidden Island. Both play fine with 2, although they might be more fun with more.

I'm not a fan of Ticket to Ride, but there are flavors that supposedly work fine with 2 players, so that's another option. Actually, if they don't like the blocking aspect, playing 2p on one of the larger maps like Europe might be just fine.

Going with a game they already like takes the risk out of the decision.

+1 Jaipur
+1 Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age

-1 Stone Age, until they play it with you first. It can be pretty overwhelming for casual gamers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Hall
United Kingdom
Yate
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dragonheart
Biblios
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith S.
United States
Dallas/Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ThatNiceMan wrote:
Hello,

Games which have already gone down well:
Ticket to Ride Europe
Settlers of Catan
Māori
Fast Flowing Forest Fellers
Pandemic

They did not like Dominion. At all.

The game needs to play well with (or be designed for) two players.
The game needs to be light to medium.
The game needs to be quick to set up.
The game needs to be not overly tactical.
The game needs to have little or no direct conflict (like underhandedness)

The game will score "bonus points" for being portable and be playable on a boat. This isn't a necessity.

One of my own would be Carcassone but I need more to go on! :)

Thanks.

"Not overly tactical" - Please clarify. Most games have quite a lot of tactical elements, if you define tactics classically as "short-term or narrow-scoped action decisions". The entire point of any competitive game is "out-moving" your opponent.

Anyway, you're asking about Carcassonne. Carc plays very well with two players, but it is a different game than 3+. With only one opponent, the "social" aspect is pretty much gone, and the game becomes more cutthroat. There isn't much "direct conflict" - there's nothing you can do to reduce your opponent's score, and the rules prevent what you might call "direct competition". However, that means there's a lot of "INdirect competition", including underhandedness. For instance, there is a rule stating that you cannot place one of your own meeples on a formation (city, road, field) that is already claimed by your opponent. However, you can start a separate formation of the same type close by, and through play of more tiles, connect it to your opponents' formation. If two players tie on the number of meeples used for a formation, they both get the points, which in a two player game is as if neither of them got the points. Similarly, you can place tiles around your opponents' formations that limit or eliminate their ability to finish those formations and get full points.

Just to get the "bonus points", I would suggest Hive. It's a waterproof, elements-proof, abuse-resistant game that is perfect for a boat; all you need is a relatively flat surface to place pieces. However, being a two-player pure abstract, it lives and dies on tactics and direct conflict. You don't capture pieces, but you can trap them, and the game has surprising strategic depth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CM Amidon
United States
Hancock
Michigan
flag msg tools
Isle Royale NP
badge
GO CRAWL IN A CAVE! When not playing games.
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Forbidden Island

Hive is one of my personal favorites. Great on portability; I take it camping. There is a little competition as you're playing against each other, but it's not really underhanded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Sheets
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These games are great for at least two and some of them, more. I am ignoring the portable/boat part since I'm not sure I know anything that would fit that requirement.

Finca

Thurn and Taxis

Palazzo

Ra: The Dice Game

Biblios

Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age

Stone Age

Yspahan

Airlines Europe

All of these are simple to learn games that are also enjoyable for those who are 'gamers'. We love all of them and find them very addictive. None of them have any direct screwage. Another game that we love but I thought might be too 'tactical' (I'm not sure what you mean though) is Metropolys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.