Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rudy Riot
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
If you've got a completed ride with 3 Parts cards and 1 Wild card, can you later replace the Wild card with the missing Part card and turn it into a natural set? Do you just add the missing card to the stack, turning over the cards to the completed side (4 Parts + 1 Wild), or do you have to "spend" the Wild card first before turning the set into a natural set?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Fred
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Fez.
mbmbmbmbmb
We pondered the same question last night when playing. Our take from the rules is that you can't put that wildcard back in your hand (the rules are specific about this) so the only way you could do that is via a Midway Trade, whereby you get the card you need to make the natural set from your opponent and then you give your opponent the wildcard.

That's what my wife did to me last night to win. I look forward to DiceHateMe's response to your question to find out if I am correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy Riot
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I was playing with some younger family members and just let them leave the wild cards in the completed rides, but I had a feeling that wasn't right. Using the midway trade that you mention makes sense, as well as using the wild card's discard ability one round instead of rolling. We'll see what they say!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Ackles
Cuba
APO
AE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I need to re-watch the videos but I know on at least one Monkey addressed this exact situation.

You can at any time during the game create a natural set and you have the option to either move the wild card to another ride that has at least one material card on it or if there is no other place to put the wild card it must be discarded, because as you already stated it cannot be put back into your hand.

I do not believe that you get to use the special ability because you are not discarding the wild from your hand...though I could be wrong on just that point the more I think about it.

**EDIT**If you have already rolled I know you can't use the ability, but if you discard instead of your roll you should get to use the ability.

I do think that it would be legal to use the wild in a midway trade, though I can't think of very many cases where this makes too much sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.J. Porfirio
United States
Thompsons Station
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
What Van Ryder Game are YOU playing?
mbmbmbmbmb
wheels4hextall wrote:

You can at any time during the game create a natural set and you have the option to either move the wild card to another ride that has at least one material card on it or if there is no other place to put the wild card it must be discarded, because as you already stated it cannot be put back into your hand.

Yep we played this way. Just move the wild to another in process ride. Then put the actual part down to make the natural set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice Hate Me
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
The boardgame blog with worse luck than you! dicehateme.com
mbmbmbmbmb
wheels4hextall wrote:
I need to re-watch the videos but I know on at least one Monkey addressed this exact situation.

I do not believe that you get to use the special ability because you are not discarding the wild from your hand...though I could be wrong on just that point the more I think about it.

**EDIT**If you have already rolled I know you can't use the ability, but if you discard instead of your roll you should get to use the ability.

I do think that it would be legal to use the wild in a midway trade, though I can't think of very many cases where this makes too much sense.

Dean,

This is all correct, once again. We're going to have to name you an honorary Carnie!

As mentioned in the Game Notes portion of the rules, Wild cards can be reassigned to established, incomplete rides during a player's own turn. This can make way for parts of a ride to be placed into the Midway to complete natural sets - and these ride parts can come from the player's hand during turn sequence 4, or as a result of a Dice Roll Action during turn sequence 3.

If a card is removed from a player's Midway when it is not their turn (as a result of a Midway Steal or Trade, etc.), and it results in a Wild being left as the only part of a ride, it must be immediately reassigned to an established, incomplete ride that already has at least 1 part, or be discarded.

Discarding a Wild that is not a part of a 3a turn sequence action does not activate the Wild card discard ability.

Also, just for clarification and mentioned in the rules, the discarded Wild during a 3a action can come from a player's hand or Midway.

Thanks for the question - and for the clarifications!
Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Ackles
Cuba
APO
AE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Chris, I almost feel like an expert and haven't even played the game yet.

I will accept any titles or promoswhistle you might want to bestow on me.

Really can't wait till it is released.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy Riot
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Thanks for all the clarifications and replies! I think when we were first playing we were in the thick of it and I missed the note about reassigning Wild cards, but now of course it's plain as day. Appreciate the help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.