Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bernard Hopkins
England
Durham/Darlington
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Could I please have some recommendations for games that include money management and payouts/paydays etc. I’ve been playing Chicago Express a lot lately and find that my group really likes this aspect of the game. I also have Caylus which has a tight money system and paydays but I think that may be a little too abstract and rules heavy, though I may give it a try. I also have Acquire that I’ll be trying out soon but don’t think that it will go down as well as Chicago Express has.

All ideas welcome...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rae
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Three suggestions are
- Power Grid multiple things to buy (fuel, resource, power stations) and limited income dependant on your choices.
- Le Havre
- Age of Industry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingólfur Valsson
Iceland
Sauðárkrókur
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While I'm not really familiar with these games I do know that the 18xx line of games are more about money and stock purchasing then laying railtracks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
Power Grid
Empire Builder
Saint Petersburg
Outpost
Merchant of Venus
Acquire

and I'll agree with 18XX, which though they have many tough decisions are fairly concrete.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alberto Casarrubios
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Power Grid is definitely something you should check. If you liked Chicago Express, take a look at Airlines Europe, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
Automobile comes to mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely Power Grid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Hall
United Kingdom
Yate
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Power Grid.

Also have a look at Poseidon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Garber
Canada
Vauxhall
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure if it's what your looking for but Strabourg definitely has a money management aspect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I H
United States
Alexandria
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might want to give Imperial a shot. It's very similar in a number of ways to Chicago Express, and managing money is a huge portion of the game (especially if you play the advanced game without the investor card). Like Chicago Express, Imperial is also a game about investing in various companies/nations and controlling their behavior for maximum payout.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United States
Maple Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
after playing Container it is always the first game i think of when i see these questions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Van Verth
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wealth of Nations could also fit, though it might be hard to find.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My first two thoughts were Saint Petersburg and Caylus Magna Carta, both good games. SP is more about paydays and building an engine that creates money. CMC is definitely simpler than Caylus, but is still a great medium-weight strategy game.

Money is also tight in Notre Dame, but as with CMC it's not so much about paydays and economic engines.

Navegador might be worth a look.

Alternatives to Acquire would include Airlines Europe and Lords of Vegas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Sheets
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
peakhope wrote:

Alternatives to Acquire would include Airlines Europe and Lords of Vegas.

I +1 these two:

Airlines Europe (2-5p)
Lords of Vegas (2-4p)

both are great fun, both scale well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Brass: Lancashire

You will need to take loans, and develop industry to increase your income from zero. You will need to build industries that are in demand in order for them to be of game value.

Steam

Loans are necessary to get off the ground, and you will need to pay them back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith S.
United States
Dallas/Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second (or third or whatever) Power Grid, with caveats. The game is very "mathy"; a winning strategy can involve planning several full rounds in advance when making decisions about what plants to bid on (and how much), how much raw materials to buy and when, and how many cities to power in any given round. This is NOT a "gateway Euro" by any stretch. Also, PG is poor with 2 players and marginal with 3; the game really shines when 4 or 5 players are competing for the best power plants and the limited city spaces on the board. With 3 players the competition for cities is more limited as everyone can eventually build everywhere, and with 2 players competition for cities is virtually nonexistent; the one-player-per-city restriction of the early game is lifted long before it really hampers either player.

The wife and I just got The Pillars of the Earth and find it very enjoyable. Money in the form of Gold is a key part in the game, but it's simply tracked on the board with markers, with no actual coinage to have and to hold. There are resources, though, which are bits, and have value and must be closely managed as in most any game.

At The Gates of Loyang is another one we enjoy when we're in the right mood. You grow and harvest vegetables, then sell them to make your money and advance in the game. Its medium-heavy weight, both in rules complexity and "thinkiness", is comparable to Power Grid but its 2- and 3-player is much better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Tadyshak
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Imperial

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
General Norris
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
qwertymartin wrote:
Automobile comes to mind.

I second this one. It's a game about pushing money foward where money not spent in getting more cars rolling is bad money. But unlike many other games there's not a big snowball and growth is not exponential, making everything tight and fun to play.

If you like the payout of your shares in Chicago Express then you will like the sales system here so I highly recommend it. It's a very interesting game and not very complex, I have dropped it on lots of non-gamers with wonderful results.

I do not like Power Grid because of it's catch-up mechanism, it makes the game all about it instead of efficiency or growth, which is a shame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
General_Norris wrote:
I do not like Power Grid because of it's catch-up mechanism, it makes the game all about it instead of efficiency or growth, which is a shame.

You need to play Outpost, which fortunately for you has just been re-issued in a beautiful new edition.

The main complaints about it are that there is no explicit catch-up mechanism. I'm guessing that won't be a problem for you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April VanGelderen
United States
Zeeland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Karnaxis

St. Petersburg

Age of Steam

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cannon
United States
Annapolis
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Prêt-à-Porter comes to mind. It was developed in Poland to teach financial management so basic business modelling is wrapped around the fashion industry to give it a broad appeal. Collections of designs are judged at each fashion show based on different criteria, such as, Trends, Quantity, Public Relations and Quality while payouts are based on the ranking of collections in each show. Players are encouraged to manage short term investments in employees, buildings, designs and contracts along with long term investments in their 'Brand' in order to win.

Video overview is here http://www.boardgamegeek.com/video/11310/pret-a-porter/pret-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek
United States
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mb
No one has said Monopoly?

It's fairly inexpensive, plays well with 2-8 players, lasts a couple of glorious hours and deals with money and property management.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
General Norris
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
Eric Brosius wrote:
General_Norris wrote:

You need to play Outpost, which fortunately for you has just been re-issued in a beautiful new edition.

The main complaints about it are that there is no explicit catch-up mechanism. I'm guessing that won't be a problem for you!

Haha, unfortunatedly it seems it won't work with my small group (3-4 players) which is a shame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You need to get some more gaming on the side (with another group) for the games your primary group won't play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
General Norris
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
Eric Brosius wrote:
You need to get some more gaming on the side (with another group) for the games your primary group won't play.

Haha, I'm trying to but I'm a picky gamer and new victims, err, players are hard to find!!

I'm actually trying to get more people in, tough I'm not having too much luck. The rest of my friends are not that involved so I'm going to look somewhere else.

You must have a lot of groups because you have a great play record! As soon as I discover how to add you to my geekbuddies you are in!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.