Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Raiko Puust
Estonia
Keila
Harju Maakond
flag msg tools
designer
Raiko & Agnes Forever! Feel the Love and Feel the Warmth. Happiness is 2 hugs plus 3 kisses every hour...:D (http://mrboardgames.wordpress.com/)
badge
Addicted Estonian gamer with big heart and direct winning attitude. Need any help with something, just ask. Need some GG for something, just ask. Need something to be translated, just ask. Meanwhile, behave! :D (http://mrboardgames.wordpress.com/)
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is my question:

Why is there Herculean level contribution awards for RPG and VGG domains, but not for BGG?

Is it because BGG has so many different typed of contributions and they have only 1 level?
If that is the case, why not a add platinum or or some other harder to get/impossible award goal. I miss the excitement of suddenly having an award microbadge...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Because we don't need any more encouragement for people to submit huge numbers of poorly considered images? I suppose geekgold depreciation is helping a little...

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raiko Puust
Estonia
Keila
Harju Maakond
flag msg tools
designer
Raiko & Agnes Forever! Feel the Love and Feel the Warmth. Happiness is 2 hugs plus 3 kisses every hour...:D (http://mrboardgames.wordpress.com/)
badge
Addicted Estonian gamer with big heart and direct winning attitude. Need any help with something, just ask. Need some GG for something, just ask. Need something to be translated, just ask. Meanwhile, behave! :D (http://mrboardgames.wordpress.com/)
mbmbmbmbmb
thepackrat wrote:
Because we don't need any more encouragement for people to submit huge numbers of poorly considered images? I suppose geekgold depreciation is helping a little...

B>

And writing reviews to games that have like 100 of them already is very very necessary.
You obvioulsy haven't seen what I upload, just few pictures here and there. And this is not the point.

Instead of answer of any kind you just attack, like one would expect from a guy like you. Seriously sad that there are users like you around here, but this is life, no good without evil.
Seriously man, get a life.

Edit: have you ever seen what I do with the geekgold I get?

Seems your way of thinking is very corrupt. Wonder how you use that in your real life? And that makes me question you motives for writing reviews - awards? geekgold? Anyway, do not write here, since I just ignore you. Comment or do what ever you do around here, consider yourself ignored.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raiko Puust
Estonia
Keila
Harju Maakond
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PollutedMonkey wrote:
binraix wrote:
Seems your way of thinking is very corrupt. Wonder how you use that in your real life? And that makes me question you motives for writing reviews - awards? geekgold? Anyway, do not write here, since I just ignore you. Comment or do what ever you do around here, consider yourself ignored.

Wow, that seems like a very hostile response.

I'm sure the comment about people spamming with poorly considered pictures wasn't targeted towards you personally. At least it didn't sound like that to me..

It was. He has been at it for some time now under few pictures. He and some few other users are always there to say something very personal against me (not me only, few other contributors as well), but they say in a way you cannot actually report about them. There been few in past who have harrased me before, but in the end they were deleted from BGG, since it got pretty extreme. This here is usual and always comes with success of any kind, in here and in real life and is normal.

Anyway, this is not the topic here.
If this continues, I will delete this thread and make a new one, since this is not why I made this thread. I should have known that he will show up, yes, it was my bad, they always do, but still I would like to get back to the topic at hand here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For context, please see the dozens or so threads every year about adjusting the geekgold rewards for pictures down in some way so that folks are less motivated to spam already-full galleries.

This is one thing the geekgold depreciation actually helps with (apart from the mismatch of review vs image rewards of course)

Adding an additional reward for such folks to shoot at would be counterproductive.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raiko Puust
Estonia
Keila
Harju Maakond
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thepackrat wrote:
For context, please see the dozens or so threads every year about adjusting the geekgold rewards for pictures down in some way so that folks are less motivated to spam already-full galleries.

This is one thing the geekgold depreciation actually helps with (apart from the mismatch of review vs image rewards of course)

Adding an additional reward for such folks to shoot at would be counterproductive.

B>

Make the from images to 0, couln't care less. I have nothing do to it with anyway, but if you had done your homework, you would have known that. It is not about , it is about the contribution to the hobby. Sad, that you do not know that. Like I said, corrupt mind...

Want some ? Sure you do... check these under here (even you have chance to get it).

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/74857/item/1932480#item193...
http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/74857/item/1932479#item193...
http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/74857/item/1932478#item193...
http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/74857/item/1932477#item193...
http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/74857/item/1932476#item193...
http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/74857/item/1932475#item193...
http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/74857/item/1920590#item192...
http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/74857/item/1920589#item192...

This hobby gaming site dude.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
binraix wrote:

It was. He has been at it for some time now under few pictures. He and some few other users are always there to say something very personal against me

One week ago, I asked you to put a meaningful caption on an image. You claimed that it was impossible for you note what the picture was actually of at upload time, because you were too busy uploading 20,000 more pictures. Since I've only seen half a dozen photos from you show up in my subscriptions, it's entirely possible that was hyperbole.

I genuinely can't see the benefit to BGG users of large numbers of pictures uploaded without captions.

Back to the topic of the thread. The issue of skewed rewards for images vs other content remains a motivation for people to upload unnecessary images, often involving cats. Until that many-years-old issue is addressed, additional motivations should be avoided. This is not about you. I am attempting to answer the question you posed.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
binraix wrote:
You obvioulsy haven't seen what I upload, just few pictures here and there.
Now that really has to be a joke...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Dearborn Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Fizzgig need food badly!
badge
Click on Fizzgig to feed him a tasty snack. Nom, Nom, Nom!
mbmbmbmbmb
thepackrat wrote:
binraix wrote:

It was. He has been at it for some time now under few pictures. He and some few other users are always there to say something very personal against me

One week ago, I asked you to put a meaningful caption on an image. You claimed that it was impossible for you note what the picture was actually of at upload time, because you were too busy uploading 20,000 more pictures. Since I've only seen half a dozen photos from you show up in my subscriptions, it's entirely possible that was hyperbole.

I genuinely can't see the benefit to BGG users of large numbers of pictures uploaded without captions.

Back to the topic of the thread. The issue of skewed rewards for images vs other content remains a motivation for people to upload unnecessary images, often involving cats. Until that many-years-old issue is addressed, additional motivations should be avoided. This is not about you. I am attempting to answer the question you posed.

B>

For what its worth, I think you have some valid points here.

One simple solution for part of your points is to have the system block image uploads without a caption of minimum length. Its a simple barrier to bypass in one sense, but it would be fairly obvious in most cases if somebody was trying to do that. Hopefully pure gibberish would never make it through or a bunch of images that all say "picture" for a caption. I think it would help at least a little and be a minor upgrade filter to the system, but an upgrade none the less.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agnes A.
Estonia
Keila
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thepackrat wrote:
binraix wrote:

B>

We just viewed through your own images uploaded and we laughed a little. You say one thing, but do another.
Raiko won't be coming back here, but I thought to say something to you. If you would see the work he does for this site...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agnes A.
Estonia
Keila
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ejtracer wrote:
thepackrat wrote:
binraix wrote:

B>

One simple solution for part of your points is to have the system block image uploads without a caption of minimum length. Its a simple barrier to bypass in one sense, but it would be fairly obvious in most cases if somebody was trying to do that. Hopefully pure gibberish would never make it through or a bunch of images that all say "picture" for a caption. I think it would help at least a little and be a minor upgrade filter to the system, but an upgrade none the less.

You all talk here. Please go and check out his captions under the pictures he uploads. Please, go and do that.
I think you are all jealous. Always the game names, over and over. Why not be useful somewhere instead of blocking people that actually do good here.
Merry Christmas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Dearborn Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Fizzgig need food badly!
badge
Click on Fizzgig to feed him a tasty snack. Nom, Nom, Nom!
mbmbmbmbmb
LilyGirl wrote:
ejtracer wrote:
thepackrat wrote:
binraix wrote:

B>

You all talk here. Please go and check out his captions under the pictures he uploads. Please, go and do that.
I think you are all jealous. Always the game names, over and over. Why not be useful somewhere instead of blocking people that actually do good here.
Merry Christmas.

You assume too much. I was not speaking in reference to any one user, much less Binrax. I have seen many images come through geek mod that do not have captions, and I was pointing out a way that might improve upon that problem in general. I was being constructive in this conversation and offering a valid suggestion despite what you may think.

Side Note: A good many of us know your his fiance, so you are kind of biased when speaking in reference to him in any situation at this point. Its okay, I'm the same way with my wife, as are many couples, and your attempt a defending him is understandable even if unwarranted, but lets just be honest about it shall we.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LilyGirl wrote:

We just viewed through your own images uploaded and we laughed a little. You say one thing, but do another.
Raiko won't be coming back here, but I thought to say something to you. If you would see the work he does for this site...

I'm not sure what you mean here, but I'd like to know how you feel my typical image captions could be more useful.

Have a look at the first page here
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/images/boardgame/all/page/1?use...

and tell me which captions you feel are not useful or descriptive, or perhaps which ones are repetitive? I would prefer whatever I upload to actually be useful to everyone.

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ejtracer wrote:

Thanks.
Quote:

Another approach could be to look for groups of images with identical or near-identical captions and complain/block the upload. I'm sure we could think up valid cases it stumbles on, but it seems as if it would be a good idea.

Sadly, I gather from all the frustration on the imagemod complains threads that this is quite a ways down the list of BGG feature priorities :(

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
thepackrat wrote:
Another approach could be to look for groups of images with identical or near-identical captions and complain/block the upload. I'm sure we could think up valid cases it stumbles on, but it seems as if it would be a good idea.
That requires actually paying attention while GeekModding. Something GeekModders clearly rarely do...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my magical world, there would be a sparkly automatic script pony that would do it without troubling the geekmodders.

I'm trying to be realistic about its chances :(
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.