Popular Tags: [View All]
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
According to the backstory, there has been a major galactic war between (at least one faction of) the Terrans and the Hegemony. There is a Galactic Council where the seven major races (the player races) are being represented. We learn that the Planta are respected navigators in interspecies trading vessels and that the Orion Hegemony have actively patrolled the general volume of space since the early times.

If all that is true, how can it happen that at the start of the game, each race only knows their home system and has to go out and explore their surrounding space in order to find out what's there?

One of the reasons I ask about this is that ideas have been brought forward (and I'm about to bring forward one myself) about a variant that adds a political dimension to the game. For such a variant the Galactic Council needs to exist and I would say that that means that the different races should know the way to the Galactic Center.

If the Galactic Center houses the Galactic Council (which I presume), why is there a discovery tile on that hex? That hex should already be discovered if different races have their representations in the Council. And what does it mean for the Council if one of the races conquers that hex?

If the Council is not housed in the Center, then where?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aki Järvi-Eskola
Finland
Helsinki
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
It's a pad of sticky notes!
mbmbmbmbmb
Where do you get the idea that the races don't know each other, or know only their own home hexes. These are wormholes were talking about! Old routes to the Galactic Center may have been jeopardized by natural causes.
Or an explanation I like more, and is more in line with the fluff: The space ship minis represent whole fleets and battlestations/military bases, and MOVe orders don't represent mobilization of forces, but repositioning of whole bases (of thousands of ships whose masses excel many fold the volume of smaller planets) and political bodies that go along with them. The existing routes to the Galactic Center (and otherwise known space, such as the other species) are no where near appropriate for the actions I stated now, but preoccupied with trade and transportation routes.
Space is huge, and I bet there is unexplored areas in even the home hexes themselves (fluff-wise).
Note: Oh, I'm in a hurry, gotta go. I'll return to this conversation at a later time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
The galactic council actually meets in the Planta's home sector. The Planta's council member just couldn't bear being uprooted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eetu Immonen
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
"Ain't nothing to it / microbadge made me do it"
badge
"Move the Pawn, Luke"
mbmbmbmbmb
This: Quick fluff question
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morgan
United States
Simi Valley
CA
flag msg tools
It's a game. The back story is of zero consequence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antti Autio
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
badge
Gina, Escher gang leader (Necromunda). Don't mess with her or she'll kick your ass.. actually, she's gonna do it anyway!
mbmbmbmbmb
This is my understanding of the backstory, based on conversations with the designers:

The Terran-Hegemony War is the first and only well-documented significant hostile encounter between two species from different parts of the galaxy in the relatively short history of the Galactic Council (that was only established after the war). Yet, compared to what happens during an entire game of Eclipse (that lasts about 1000 Terran-equivalent years), it was a relatively minor skirmish that lead to the destruction of several Terran deep space frontier colonies and lead to a bitter arms race that resulted in the discovery of many of the key technologies that enable the more extensive wormhole travel that has only relatively recently given the Seven the possibility to begin a major expansion of their spheres of influence.

The so-called Galactic Centre is a major contact hub and several safe routes there have been charted and are frequently used by the Seven. Still, most of the Galaxy is still largely a wilderness. While the locations of stars and habitable worlds are known to astronomers, the galactic distances are so vast that travel between sectors of space (in a reasonable time at least) is only possible through stable wormholes. It is this that has kept the major factions busy ever since the Galactic Centre was established: building exploration fleets capable of locating and stabilising wormhole connections between major star systems and charting routes and setting up the administrative infrastructure for entire sectors of space.

People often refer to (starting) hexes as (home) systems, but in fact they are sectors, ie. vast regions of space with dozens of inhabited worlds and hundreds of colonies that are entire empires (or at least provinces) of their own.

The Galactic Council convenes at the Galactic Centre. It is a demilitarised zone and a takeover by one faction is not looked upon favourably by the others, but naturally any invader would want to preserve some facade of legitimacy and keep the Council functioning. Of course anyone who controls the Galactic Centre also holds a lot of leverage to influence the Council's decisions.

The Discovery tile you get from GC is representing valuable resources/information extracted from the Archives of the GC.

So yes, the backstory does make sense. At least to me.

While it is always interesting to see fan-made variants, I'd just wait for the official diplomacy rules. I'd also encourage anyone to play a fair number of games, first with the Terrans and then with the alien species, before starting to introduce their own variants and house rules. The game is deceptively easy to learn, but much harder to grok properly. There's an enormous amount of replay value there in the base game before there's any need to start introducing variants.

But obviously it is a sign of a great game, that it inspires people to start tweaking and customising it already when it's barely been released!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eirik Johnsbråten
Norway
Notodden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When it comes to exploring, it's not that the empty hexes are unknown territory. Those sectors are probably already settled and well traversed, but they are not suited for the kind of expansion and technology the empires need to ascent to greatness. They need to thoroughly chart the sectors to find new planets that can support millions, if not billions, of people. And they need to find bigger and more stable wormholes that can support new armadas of ships the likes of which the galaxy have not yet seen.

The civilizations are evolving. And what they know about the sectors simply don't support what they're evolving into.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Interesting explanations all around. There should be something to pick for anyone interested.

aautio wrote:
While it is always interesting to see fan-made variants, I'd just wait for the official diplomacy rules. I'd also encourage anyone to play a fair number of games, first with the Terrans and then with the alien species, before starting to introduce their own variants and house rules. The game is deceptively easy to learn, but much harder to grok properly. There's an enormous amount of replay value there in the base game before there's any need to start introducing variants.

I just posted my variant. In that post I mention why I am doing so now, instead of waiting till I've played dozens of games.

As for waiting for the official rules, well, I don't know if the designers are working on it. And even if they do, maybe they get inspired by some of the ideas tossed around on these forums (although I doubt that it would be by my post).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.