Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Worger
United Kingdom
Bordon
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

Picked Steam up the other day and I've read the rules a couple of times and watched a few vid's on it but it still looks really complicated blush Does the base game play ok with 2 or do I need Steam Barons

Any tips for my first two player game with my non-heavy gamer gf shake

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Spieles
United States
Vandalia
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The base map doesn't play very well with two. There are plenty of expansion maps (1 official expansion pack for Steam, although Age of Steam maps will work as well with some tweaks) that play much better with two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Neal
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
s1mon wrote:
Hi,

Picked Steam up the other day and I've read the rules a couple of times and watched a few vid's on it but it still looks really complicated blush Does the base game play ok with 2 or do I need Steam Barons

Any tips for my first two player game with my non-heavy gamer gf shake

Thanks.

It will be a uphill struggle if the GF doesn't enjoy gaming. Steam is a rather intricate game and my wife is not a big fan of it at all. The expansion maps help. I've heard that using half the board in Steam makes the game a bit more approachable with two players.

The best of luck! I love the game and sometimes I'm surprised at who picks it up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
General Norris
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
Steam isn't a complicated game, it has only a fistful of mechanics and everything has an easily-understood connection to the rest of the game.

Start with the base rules and after the first turn you will know everything you need. It's simple:

1) First players take loans based on turn order, each step you go down on the income track gives you 5$ but, beware! At the end of turn you earn or lose as much money as your marker is on!
2) Then players choose an action card
3) Players build (max 3 hexes of track, 4 with Engineer)
4) Players move cubes and earn points to move eithe the VP or Income tracks up.
5) Players pay their expenses or reap their earnings.
6) For the next turn, turn order is the one indicated in the action card you took (Urbanization is 7, Loco is 6, Engineer 3. The Engi player would go first, then Loco, then the one who took Urb).

Enjoy!

Concerning two player, the games doesn't support in out-of the box but there are variants using only a part of the included board, they must be around here.

You can also print some 2 players maps like Iowa or Scotland and the first expansion includes a two-player map.

Here's a geeklist to help you see what maps are availble.

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/68626/the-ultimate-steam-r...

My tip: LOCOMOTIVELOCOMOTIVELOCOMOTIVELOCOMOTIVELOCOMOTIVELOCOMOTIVELOCOMOTIVE

Really, increase your Locomotive level every turn! It's the most important part of the game.

Also, they are not your cubes nor your cities. They are not anyone's else's but specially not yours!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that it doesn't play that well with 2 out of the box (but it is playable). It isn't that difficult of a game, but there is a small learning curve. Once players get playing, it mostly comes naturally.

For 2 players, I highly recommend getting Steam: Map Expansion #1 instead of Steam Barons. The 2-player map works very well, and doesn't complicate things too much. The next official expansion, Steam: Map Expansion #2, will have at least one 2-player map as well from my understanding..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
a.k.a. The Shire
badge
Waggle, waggle
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the above posters. It's not a particularly rules-heavy game. The heaviness comes from the large range of options of where to build - making it quite deep. You can play 2 player, but it won't be very tight, which might be a good thing. I like the basic rules, without the auctions.

Ruleswise, the main complexity comes from the track laying rules - most of the time this is straightforward, but the rules have to deal with a bunch of special situations, which probably won't come up in your first few games anyway.

PS. Steam Barons will make it MORE complicated. For 2 players you're better with a 2 player map like Scotland.

PPS. It's quite an interactive game, with lots of blocking and stealing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michiel Hillenius
Netherlands
Hoogland (Amersfoort)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Steam is a great game, it is really worth exploring it. There are expansions that make Steam fit two players. For a good overview, check out here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/74948/steam-two-player...
All maps have some additional rules, the concept inspires a lot of creativity from designers. Many maps in the list above here are simply print and play. I would say check out Umbria first as a friendly map for not so experienced players.
Steam Barons is a whole different game concept. Great game too, but I wouldn't start with that.
Enjoy it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Welborn
United States
Anderson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Clemson Tigers #1
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the basic US board is good for your first 2 player game. It won't be as tight or as tense as a regular game but a player won't get hosed early either. After a game or two, then move to a 2 player expansion map which will make the game much tighter and more cutthroat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
General Norris
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
Michiel wrote:
Steam is a great game, it is really worth exploring it. There are expansions that make Steam fit two players. For a good overview, check out here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/74948/steam-two-player...
All maps have some additional rules, the concept inspires a lot of creativity from designers. Many maps in the list above here are simply print and play. I would say check out Umbria first as a friendly map for not so experienced players.
Steam Barons is a whole different game concept. Great game too, but I wouldn't start with that.
Enjoy it!

Hear, hear, this man here knows his stuff! cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Worger
United Kingdom
Bordon
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

Haven't yet had chance to try the game yet with gf but I did pick up the Steam: Map Expansion #1 but it does seem a bit more complicated than the base game ? Probably just try the US side first.

The Locomotive tile lets you increase your train size but in phase 3 you can do this anyway ? does this mean that if you take the tile you can increase your locomotive size twice in a round ? as you can only do it once on phase 3 ?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
General Norris
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
s1mon wrote:
Haven't yet had chance to try the game yet with gf but I did pick up the Steam: Map Expansion #1 but it does seem a bit more complicated than the base game ? Probably just try the US side first.

Nah, all the changes are minor toough they will feel differently.

Quote:
The Locomotive tile lets you increase your train size but in phase 3 you can do this anyway ?

Yes, but normally you would need to move one less cube to increase your locomotive level, which is a very big deal!

Quote:
does this mean that if you take the tile you can increase your locomotive size twice in a round ?

Yes. You would only move one cube then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill J
United States
Batavia
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I would recommend Expansion #1 with the Belgium map because it is designed as a two-player map. This map reflects the creation of a rail network oriented towards importing. So, several cities on the map have new cubes placed on them every turn. The upcoming cubes are visible for both to see, so it adds a very small, but necessary level of complexity in terms of planning for future train deliveries. In short, is is not a big jump in complexity and well worth playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
Expansion #2 has a two player map in China and I am working on a two player map for Expansion #3 as I'm posting this.

The China map has a couple kooky tweaks, but I'm really happy with the results. It forces people to get in each other's business.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cathcart
United States
West Conshohocken
US
flag msg tools
sisteray wrote:
Expansion #3

Yay!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.