Popular Tags: [View All]
Thiago Souza Lopes
Brazil
Fortaleza
Ceará
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I find myself droling about games like tannhauser,Dust Tactics and Monsterpocalypse. But lately I've been trying to change the focus of my colection a bit. Maybe kinda buy more family games or Euros that can be played well with non-gamers.

The thing is:I usually find the themes lacking when I take a look at things like Agricola....

So, I would like to hear about some games that you guys with the same background find appealing.

Sorry for my grammar...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Berry
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Founding Fathers (wait for the 2nd edition with better quality cards.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patiently waiting for the zombie apocalypse...
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hands down....
Dominant Species

It is super competitive and conflict is a sure thing. It can be downright brutal. Awesome game. The theme is there to in my opinion.

Check it out, you won't be disappointed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Madhujith Venkatakrishna
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Carson City
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Souza Lopes
Brazil
Fortaleza
Ceará
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was kinda looking forward to Deadwood... But some reviews made me less certain about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Imboden
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Acquire is a good no-man's-land, I'd say.

Small World's got that dudes-onna-map feel to it as well.

If you're feeling masochistic, Ghost Stories is brutal and theme-rich.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ze Masqued Cucumber
France
flag msg tools
Protze et Chniaque !
badge
C'est le Gomazio à crête mordorée, dont le cri annonce le soir...
mbmbmbmbmb
You might take a look at this geeklist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJD
United States
Quad-Cities
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mississippi Queen perhaps? It's basically a race along the Mississippi River while picking up passengers along the way. It's out of print so it'll likely be expensive, and it's not really a Eurogame, but it's still a nice, fairly simple game whose theme shouldn't drive non-gamers away.

Roolz wrote:

Hmmm, I don't think that list will help much since it looks to be mostly the same kind of games he's already mentioned being into. It sounds like he's currently looking for more Euro-type games with less violent themes and maybe easier rules for explaining to people new to such games. Or at least that was my impression.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJD
United States
Quad-Cities
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Say, what about Ticket to Ride or Catan? Those are pretty much the posterboys for friendly, simple Euros that make good family games and/or introductions for non-gamers.

I'm actually kind of surpised they haven't already been mentioned yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cyclades, it even got two dice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
aliquis wrote:
Cyclades, it even got two dice!

Came here to say this. Cyclades is the missing link, a grand unification of Ameritrash and Euro.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ze Masqued Cucumber
France
flag msg tools
Protze et Chniaque !
badge
C'est le Gomazio à crête mordorée, dont le cri annonce le soir...
mbmbmbmbmb
UnluckyNumber wrote:
Roolz wrote:

Hmmm, I don't think that list will help much since it looks to be mostly the same kind of games he's already mentioned being into. It sounds like he's currently looking for more Euro-type games with less violent themes and maybe easier rules for explaining to people new to such games. Or at least that was my impression.

The Adventurers I & II, Cadwallon, Cyclades (to some extent) are family-oriented, as far as I know. Some others in the list not so .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would take a look at these...

Dungeon Lords - A real meaty game with a theme that isn't merely pasted on. You won't find any dice, but you do get to kill heroes with monsters like demons and goblins. This is one of the few "euros" I'll actually play.

Dungeon Twister 2 - Another fantasy based game that you should look into. No die rolls, but plenty of abilities, combat and useful items to keep things interesting. I suggest playing with a 1-2 minute per turn timer though.

Galaxy Trucker - Not quite a Euro...not quite Ameritrash. Just a fun game where you literally build your own spaceship and then travel the galaxy trying not to die. I love this game.

EVO - I'm not sure if the reprint is out, but this is a really fun game with plenty of player interaction. It boils down to area control, but getting to control and mutate your own species of dinosaurs makes it pretty damn cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Souza Lopes
Brazil
Fortaleza
Ceará
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You hit it right on the head. I'm trying to stray away from squad based/ skirmish/ armies/ games... I have Ticket to ride and Acquire. They're both great. I also have Cyclades and is a favorite of mine.

I think I'm kinda failing in find new games...My last buy was Dust Tactics and Heroscape....whistle

Mississipi Queen looks fun...and maybe I'll try Stone age or Power Grid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps you could try identifying mechanics that you're a fan of. For example, I really like auctions, push your luck, and worker placement. That at least gives you a place to start looking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McKelvy
United States
Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have similar preferences to the OP: I thrive on multiplayer conflict Ameritrash, but our gaming group tends to Euros.

- Dominant Species is fantastic. The mechanics are very smooth, and every decision appears to matter. There is definitely direct conflict, but it is channeled in such a way that annoying metagaming (attacking someone for extraneous emotional reasons) yields very sub-optimal results. Players have strong incentives to play tactically, so it's hard to get ticked at someone who hoses you when it is obviously in their best interest to do so. In other words, DS preserves the plusses of direct conflict games and removes some of the downsides.

- Cyclades is very good as well, but it feels more Ameritrashy than Euro-ish.

- Imperial/Imperial 2030 might work for you. All the appearances of a wargame, but really about economics. OTOH, imperial can have one player sit on the sidelines a lot. It can seem like there is no way to meaningfully impact the game. IMO Antike is a better rondel game.

- Powergrid? This is quickly becoming my favorite Euro. It has a map which matters! All phases of the game are interactive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim O'Neill (Established 1949)
Scotland
Motherwell
Graduate of Barlinnie
flag msg tools
VENI, VIDI, VISA - my reaction on entering my FLGS.
badge
Like a good red wine, I improve with age... and being laid.
mbmbmbmbmb
I am ashamed to admit I own a Eurogame but Troyes has DICE as can be seen below:

Regards,

Jim
Est. 1949

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
oneilljgf wrote:
[i][b]I am ashamed to admit I own a Eurogame but

This made me smile.

+1 Dungeon Lords and Galaxy Trucker

Take a look at Race for the Galaxy. It's very Euroy, but for some reason my oldest son and I love this game a lot.

Or just keep bringing AT boxes to your meet ups and force the others to learn the error of their ways. Once the adrenaline gets pumped up, they'll be addicted to the AT rush.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Roolz wrote:

Thanks for the plug.

I agree with RJD that some (Tannhäuser obviously) are already in his collection, but there might be a find in there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Canada
Prince George
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Wise men say, forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza.
mbmbmbmbmb
keraunos wrote:
You hit it right on the head. I'm trying to stray away from squad based/ skirmish/ armies/ games... I have Ticket to ride and Acquire. They're both great. I also have Cyclades and is a favorite of mine.

I think I'm kinda failing in find new games...My last buy was Dust Tactics and Heroscape....whistle

Mississipi Queen looks fun...and maybe I'll try Stone age or Power Grid.

Stonge Age is great and I love the artwork. Power Grid is a simple math brain burner. It seems to be one of those polar extremes - you either detest it or it's one of your favorites. Taluva is great for it's simplicity and the thickest cardboard tiles I've ever seen. Troyes is great and has dice. I also love Citadels, which has a decent theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.