Subject: Played Dominion with my Wife (Shocked) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dean Hunt
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmb

I love gaming, and the party games and generic, luck-based games were just not satisfying my craving.

So I set out to try and get my social circle and most importantly, my wife into board games.

If I have learnt one thing from TV shows like The Wire and Sopranos, it's that a gateway drug is the best way to create an addict... so off I went in search of some gateway board games...

* Dominion
* Ticket to Ride
* Pandemic (this may be a stretch)
* Settlers of Catan

My theory was that Ticket to ride would be the one that she would most enjoy... and that may still be the case (I opened it for Christmas)... but recently, due to us both being tired (ruling out Pandemic), and only being the two of us (ruling out Catan), it only left Dominion...

Oh no, I thought... she hates Magic the Gathering, she is surely going to make assumptions and throw Dominion in the same well of nerdery... (is that a real word?)... but alas, during our first game of the introductory kingdom setup, my wife was stringing combos, successfully counting her actions and buys, and getting to know the cards...

The game ends with a slight victory to me (that may have been a mistake on my part)...

She then said two things that shocked me:

1) "That was really fun, I like it"
2) "I would love to teach my mum this, I bet she would like it too".

Needless to say we played a second game, this time we added the spy and thief to the mix, again, I made the mistake of winning, this time by an 8 point margin... but we had a great time.

So thanks Dominion, you were the dark horse, the underdog in the gateway olympics, but it appears you may be claiming the gold medal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
As long as you don't introduce her to the Dominion Sharks on Isotropic, you're golden.

I taught it to my Mum, and on her third game, she played a Village-Council Room-Council Room combo against my Chapel deck and whupped my ass! Haven't played against her since...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
largelylegit wrote:
in the same well of nerdery... (is that a real word?)...

A word? It's a way of life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
meepleonboard
United Kingdom
Somerset/London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
largelylegit wrote:
and only being the two of us (ruling out Catan)

Not so fast! There's an official 2-player variant here - http://catan.wikia.com/wiki/2-player_variant, which is the one I play with my partner. We find it transforms the 2 player experience...

Dominion is pretty good fun, though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Hunt
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks Ben.

I havent tried it online yet, what do I need to watch out for?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this thread sums it up rather nicely.

Just be ready to be smacked into the ground by someone who identifies a combination you don't know about. It's rather cut-throat stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great to see that Dominion went so well with your wife. I've already "infected" several non-gamers with Dominion and can indeed confirm it as a great gateway game.

Isotropic is an awesome way to play Dominion. The level of play there is pretty high usually, but if I get kicked by superior players with awesome combos I hadn't seen, I actually LIKE that, because it means that Dominion is a game of skill first and foremost. Granted, it's not chess, and a weaker player can beat a better one occasionally on the luck of the draw, but the luck factor in this game is lower than it seems at first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thayne Weston
United States
Nibley
Utah
flag msg tools
The die has been cast- Julius Caesar
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I too am hoping to get my wife hooked on Dominion!! So, your story gives me hope. As for Isotropic I haven't had many problems. I lose most of the time but don't feel I have come across many crazy good players. Anywho, good playing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Hunt
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmb
**UPDATE**

I played with a friend recently at Starbucks, he grasped the game and the strategy exceptionally quickly, so much so that by game 2 he was hooked, and after game 3, he had beaten my 3 times

Free time is an issue for us though, so I told him about Isotropic... we didn't like it... so we went with BoardGameArena.com instead.

We love it... we simply jump on Skype so we don't lose any of the banter and interaction, and unfortunately, he still remains unbeaten.

I also got a script that makes major improvements to the layout of BoardGameArena, so it is perfect for what we need.

I would love to see Seaside or Prosperity added there in the coming months, but for now, it is so good that I really don't know how much "real" (offline) play we will ever have.

Summary: My wife still likes it, my friend LOVES the game, and we have taken it online so we can play faster and more often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.