Terry
United States
carlsbad
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Hi, just got the game and have read through the rules. Looks fun.

Quick Question... Scenario: Red has influence over a sector and has 2 population in it. An enemy attacks the sector and meets no ship resistance so only attacks the population. 1 population is destroyed.

1. Since there is still 1 population left, the attacker cannot claim influence of this sector even tho he has the only ships in the sector, correct?

2. The rules also seem to imply that red, even though there are enemy ships in this sector, can use his colony ships to repopulate this sector at any time during one of his actions. Is this correct? This doesn't seem to make much thematic sense since surely colony ships would be blown up upon entering the sector. You (well, I) would expect such a sector to be blockaded. So just making sure this is correct.

Tx

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Bernardo
Taiwan
Taipei
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He can't colonize the sector because he doesn't control it yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry
United States
carlsbad
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Panda - I am referring to the original controller of the sector above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can place population cubes in any free space in a system you control. Enemy ships don't matter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
MasterDinadan wrote:
You can place population cubes in any free space in a system you control. Enemy ships don't matter.

If I recall, the one exception is that you can't put cubes in an enemy space during the "final call" option after combat, and I believe the rationale was that you couldn't use this as an exploit to get extra production on a planet that is in a sector you control, but that got some population wiped out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
MasterDinadan wrote:

If I recall, the one exception is that you can't put cubes in an enemy space during the "final call" option after combat, and I believe the rationale was that you couldn't use this as an exploit to get extra production on a planet that is in a sector you control, but that got some population wiped out.

I don't understand. Are you ever allowed to place pop cubes during the combat phase? I thought it was only during your turn or before paying upkeep.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petri Savola
Finland
Espoo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You are not allowed to place cubes after combat phase if an enemy is present in that sector. In all other cases you're allowed to place the cubes after combat phase (just before upkeep) too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the standard window for resolving colony ships still applies. Colony ships can only be used during the Action phase when it is your turn, or at the start of the Upkeep phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry
United States
carlsbad
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Petri wrote:
You are not allowed to place cubes after combat phase if an enemy is present in that sector. In all other cases you're allowed to place the cubes after combat phase (just before upkeep) too.

This exception makes a lot of sense. Could you please show me where in the rules this is? I can't find any reference limiting the use of colony ships if an enemy is present. In my rules the cleanup phase references page 8's colonization section which implies that influence is the only restriction.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
carlsbad wrote:
Petri wrote:

This exception makes a lot of sense. Could you please show me where in the rules this is? I can't find any reference limiting the use of colony ships if an enemy is present. In my rules the cleanup phase references page 8's colonization section which implies that influence is the only restriction.

Thanks

If there are enemy ships in the sector and you don't have any population in the hex, you could not possibly have an influence disc there during the Upkeep and Cleanup phases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry
United States
carlsbad
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
MasterDinadan wrote:
carlsbad wrote:
Petri wrote:

Thanks

If there are enemy ships in the sector and you don't have any population in the hex, you could not possibly have an influence disc there during the Upkeep and Cleanup phases.

The scenario in question was posted above, but perhaps I was not clear enough. I'll try again:

A sector you have influence over with 2 populated planets and no defending ships is attacked. At the end of the attack phase and attempts to kill population you have 1 populated planet left, thus you retain influence. The enemy ship is still in the sector, and you retain influence because you have population remaining. Do the rules allow you to colonize planets in that sector in the upkeep phase even though an enemy ship is in the sector?

If yes, how does this make thematic sense?
If no, where in the rules is this prohibited?
Or is there something wrong in my story above?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
carlsbad wrote:

If yes, how does this make thematic sense?
If no, where in the rules is this prohibited?
Or is there something wrong in my story above?

I believe the answer is yes.

Although, now that I think about it, it does create some weird issues. Because the killed population is in the graveyard instead of going directly back to the resource track, being able to place another civilian in its place means that you are actually experiencing a temporary increase in production as a result of the enemy bombing... so now I am not so sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juho Snellman
Switzerland
Zurich
Zurich
flag msg tools
mb
carlsbad wrote:
This exception makes a lot of sense. Could you please show me where in the rules this is?

In the errata.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry
United States
carlsbad
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
jsnell wrote:
carlsbad wrote:
This exception makes a lot of sense. Could you please show me where in the rules this is?

In the errata.

Thank you! Found it; don't recall seeing it there earlier. This explains why others in this thread were confused by the colonization rule too.

The galaxy makes sense now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.