Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Whats wrong here? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
So, I just got this game for Christmas and had everyone to play it. For the most part everyone enjoyed it but we noticed that the Zombie player was seriously handicapped. We have LNOE + Growing Hunger but only played with LNOE to begin. Are we playing correctly?

Zombie players can only have 4 cards at one time or 2 each depending on the amount of players, compared to Heroes who can have unlimited event cards.

The Heroes were basically able to counter anything the zombies did by the end of the game, are we doing something wrong here? It was almost impossible for a zombie to wound a Hero.

Are we suppose to limit the Hero deck? Like take half the cards out so it runs out faster or is it normal to have the full stack? It just seems like the Hero players can load up on Event cards.

So Zombie players can only have 4 cards, can he only play those 4 during his one turn? Or is he able to play a card and replenish his hand up until 4 and still play the new card?

Would it be overpowered if we let the zombie have more than 4? Or underpowered if we limited the Hero even pool?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Sabol
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Things will vary radically depending on the scenario and the heros in play. Make sure you are also using the correct zombie rules, missing something like moving through walls can make it seem nigh impossible. My first zombie game, we misread the scenario. I'd killed 5 or 6 heros by the time they blew up the 4 spawn points but I'd actually won when I killed the 4th.

Remember, the Heros are the brute force, the Zombies, with their low power and movement restrictions as well as random spawning, are the finesse play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There are frequent calls from first time players that this game is biased in favour of one side. Interestingly, there's a fairly even split as to whether they think the Heroes or the Zombies have the advantage...

Yes, Zombies can only have, and play, 4 cards total each turn, whereas Heroes can have and play a theoretically unlimited number (barring items/weapons, of course).

However, remember Zombies get to top up to 4 cards every turn, whereas Heroes have to Search for each one individually, and usually start the game with none at all (barring starting in the Town Square, scenario specials, etc). If Heroes are Searching, they're not running away, getting to the target building, saving the survivors, etc. It's the Zombie player's duty to surround and gang up on Searching heroes (except in scenarios where the Heroes have to kill Zombies, in which cases it's the Zombie player's duty to avoid Heroes and let them waste as many turns as they like Searching...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Mold the chaos into something beautiful
mbmbmbmbmb
Also remember that in order to search and get a card, Heroes have to give up their move. So if they are stocking up on cards that much, they would be staying in one place and so the zombies should be able to get to them.

I'm surprised by this, because we had the zombies winning so much at first that we houseruled that they couldn't go through the walls. We've gotten a lot better as Heroes since then, so we righted that one. So it definitely sounds like something is not right if your Heroes are having such an easy time of it.

Ha ninja'd!

Also, read the rules again now that you've played a few times and see what pops out at you. I always found things we did wrong the first game or two when I do a re-read. I bet you'll find something. Were you resolving combat correctly?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
What about pickup cards in buildings? How many times can a player 'use' that pick up? Is it just once? Or can they in theory just stay there and keep using it.

Example.

Jenny is in the library so she can look through the deck until she gets an event card. Can she just stay there and keep doing that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When using a building's pickup ability, it only allows you to look through the discard pile, not the deck. (There is an advanced rule for using the deck, but I assume you have not gotten that far and are just dealing with base game rules at this point.)

But yes, a Hero can use the pickup ability as many times as they want, as long as that card is in the discard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Jubileet wrote:
Jenny is in the library so she can look through the deck until she gets an event card. Can she just stay there and keep doing that?
Yes, she can. Which is fine until a dozen zombies come through the walls. And assuming the Zombie player doesn't get hold of one of many cards to drive her out (Taken Over, Have To get To The..., etc.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Using a buildings pick up card is only for the Discard pile?

The library says Reveal the Top hero cards and take the first event, shuffle back the rest. That can't be the discard pile?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess the library must be different, I don't really remember it right now. Most buildings are only discard pile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer Myers
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The library is a unique pick-up in that it allows you to search the deck for events. The other buildings only allow you to pick up from the discard pile.

I would not recommend handicapping either side until you've played it through several times to get the feel for how it's played.

Zombies and Heroes require different strategies. You'll figure them out as you go, but as a general hint for the zombie player - do NOT hang onto your cards. Play as many of them each turn as you can, and discard any that you do not plan to use within 2 turns.

The idea for the zombie player is to rain down cards on the heros' heads like artillery and wear them down that way, since you'll get to draw back up to 4 cards again each turn. If your zombie players were not firing cards at the heros every turn that probably partly explains why they lost

And for what it's worth in our group the heroes routinely get their bottoms handed to them by the zombies, but the games are always extremely close.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
What about how Gasoline works?

My friends interpreted it as you can move to a space, drop it and move away all in one turn as long as you rolled high enough. Others think you can move, drop it and then you need to wait until your next turn to move away.

I believe the directions say Gasoline can be dropped anytime during your move turn. It doesn't say dropping it ends your move turn, so in theory you could just keep moving?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jubileet wrote:
I believe the directions say Gasoline can be dropped anytime during your move turn. It doesn't say dropping it ends your move turn, so in theory you could just keep moving?

Yes, you can move, drop Gasoline and keep moving, however, if you want to drop the Gasoline into a space that already has Zombies, then you will have to stop in that space per the normal restrictions on Hero movement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
RedShark92 wrote:
Jubileet wrote:

Yes, you can move, drop Gasoline and keep moving, however, if you want to drop the Gasoline into a space that already has Zombies, then you will have to stop in that space per the normal restrictions on Hero movement.

Not Neccessarily because it says you can drop Gasoline in an Adjacent space. Right? So you could move next to a Zombie and drop it in their space without going into that space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
177ark
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/210263/lnoe-zombie-player-st...

Here's a good zombie strategy thread.

But I agree with Spencer, one of the key tactic to good Zombie Players is to burn through your deck, fast. Get the board controlling cards that lets you take over or turn out the lights on building and as many "remains in play" card as possible. Zombie Player is able to discard one card before you draw your new hand, I try to use this every turn.

You said "the Heroes were basically able to counter anything the zombies did by the end of the game" throughout the game you want to play as many cards as you can and force the Heroes to use those cards to counter them.

Also, strategies should change depending on the scenario. Like Die, Zombie, Die, it's a good strategy to scatter your zombies and make the heroes waste turns hunting them down. Escape in the Truck: Occupy the Center .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Got it, thanks for the help. =) Makes more sense now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jubileet wrote:
Not Neccessarily because it says you can drop Gasoline in an Adjacent space. Right? So you could move next to a Zombie and drop it in their space without going into that space.

That's right, I should have been more clear. Adjacent space is fine, so you can drop it in a space next to you if it has Zombies. I'm just used to canny Zombie players setting their Zombies up to make it difficult to get it where it'll do the most good without stepping into a Zombie space. I may have done this myself once or twice. zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.