Subject: Wargames that you can play without checking the rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Obsidian Man
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reading this interesting thread
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/740689/what-percent-of-y...
made me ask the subject question. How many wargames can you play without checking the rules (ok, a few check are tolerated)?
I'm not a wargamer so i'm curious: it seems to me that is perfectly normal for a wargamer to play while forgetting some rules, it is correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lehr
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Standard Combat Series

Very simple game system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucius Cornelius
United States
Rome
SPQR
flag msg tools
badge
Lord Protector of Nothing in Particular
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of 'em after a couple plays.
If anything goes wrong,
as any good wargamer,
I know that it is due to poorly written rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bobek
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
sullafelix wrote:
Most of 'em after a couple plays.
If anything goes wrong,
as any good wargamer,
I know that it is due to poorly written rules.

Hey, I resemble that remark!

Fortunately, I can remember most of the WWII land based and horse and musket land based rules because they have a lot in common within their genres and I play/judge them relatively frequently. For air and naval games, I need to look up the rules more freguently. On the plus side, I can fake pretty much anything if there are no rules lawyers around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Advanced Squad Leader

Technically, you CAN play 100 % of ALL existing games without checking the rules.

devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sim Guy
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Damn few.

I almost always need to check something once or twice a game. I suppose if you don't count looking up Victory Conditions, I could mostly get by on games like the old SPI Quads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reinhard Mueller
Germany
Gauting
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Obsidian Man of Urik wrote:
it seems to me that is perfectly normal for a wargamer to play while forgetting some rules, it is correct?

It's not so much about forgetting rules, but more about very special situations which happen so rarely that one doesn't even try to remember the related rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
SimGuy wrote:
Damn few.:what:

I almost always need to check something once or twice a game. I suppose if you don't count looking up Victory Conditions, I could mostly get by on games like the old SPI Quads.

Yeah. I think I'd go to 'none' on that.

But it ain't just wargames. There may be a small handful
of games (Chess, Go) that I know the rules for - but I have
to look things up in Monopoly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Heldt
United States
Harper Woods
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Two panzer jocks in the South Seas hoping that soon they'll get lei'd--
mbmbmbmbmb
Battle for Germany--
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus Pendleton
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lehr wrote:
Standard Combat Series

Very simple game system.

I guess it depends on whether "a few checks are tolerated" or not but....you don't even need to look up e.g. the VP for removed German units chart in one of the game-specific rules? That's very cool. I love when I know a game well enough that I don't have to do rules checks and instead focus on actually playing the game. I can start coming up with strategies rather than stressing about the nuances of crazy rules ("Oh god have I somehow left myself totally open because I forgot that on Turn 6 reinforced paratroopers get +2 movement and +3 when assaulting fortified towns?")
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, two factors come into play. There are realitivily simple wargames that I can play without the rulebook. Two good games as examples:
Iwo Jima: Rage Against the Marines
Victoria Cross II

There are also more complicated games I've played enough to also not tneed the rulebook, two good examples being:
C.V.
East Front

I suspect those two themes would hold true for most wargamers, Simple or Experienced = no need to look up rules. Of course, we all have different games we are expereinced in...

Last thought, I agree with the comment above that some games inlcuded situations that are so unusual, even gamers expereinced in that game may forgo memorizing that rule and just look it up when needed. That is very good way to handle that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ridgeway
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
etagimbo wrote:
It's not so much about forgetting rules, but more about very special situations which happen so rarely that one doesn't even try to remember the related rules.

Right, it's the special rules for rare occurrences that are easier to be aware of rather than memorize, and then re-read their details if/when they come up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Bruhn
United States
Roseburg
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that the following games can be adequately memorized after two or three games, to the point at which rulebook look ups are unlikely:

Victory Games' The Civil War

Axis & Allies

Sword of Rome

Paths of Glory

Gunslinger

Of course, playing regularly helps keep the rules fresh. A long time without playing these games will make it more likely that rulebooks have to be read again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusion Under Fire
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My memory is so poor that after a couple of months I would have to look something up. Damn! I can't even remember what I had for lunch yesterday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arnaud MOYON
France
Thorigné-Fouillard
BZH
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's say:
Simple GBoH
Storm Over Stalingrad
Breakthrough: Cambrai
Combat Commander: Europe and all the serie
Saratoga and all the GBotAR serie

In fact rather simple games, others need rulebooks near me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never played a game (except for chess or checkers or othello) without checking something. this is due to my poor memory rather than problems with the rules (in some cases).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ridgeway
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
BTW: check the BGG page for the wargame you're interested in for any Player Aids Files uploaded by fellow players ~ I can't tell you how helpful they can be in streamlining / clarifying / speeding both learning and playing!

*in doing the publishers' editing jobs for them....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
What's the fun in playing a wargame without arguing over rules?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Fricke
United States
Covington
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mallet wrote:
Advanced Squad Leader

:p

Technically, you CAN play 100 % of ALL existing games without checking the rules.

:devil:

If I ever sit down to play ASL and the guy across the table doesn't need the rules then I'm running away....fast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Back when I was playing it regularly, Kingmaker.

Now... hell I can't even get thru an impulse of WIF without checking rules, though that is often to prove somebody else WRONG...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
Invicta
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I picked up PanzerBlitz the other day for the first time in at least a decade and didn't even need to glance over the rules - that one became instinct a long time ago. As for the two games I bought this year, very difficult to get them to stick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kovacs
United States
Elyria
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played B-17: Queen of the Skies enough times that I don't need to read the rules...unless something unusual happens or I'm using a special rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alec Clair
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are some straightforward games from various genres, you might need the rules booklet for the first couple of plays, but after that it's just plain wargaming fun.

Nations at War: White Star Rising a tactical serie, with non fiddly rules! Yes it's possible

A Victory Lost an operational game.

Sekigahara: The Unification of Japan a block game.
Although not usual the rules are very clear and simple. Columbia have many good games but there are often a few obscure points about which I'm still not sure after repeated plays.

Twilight Struggle a CDG game with simple rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.