Popular Tags: [View All]
The Fungi From Yuggoth
United States
Northern Chicago burbs
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Fear the Atomic Skull-Bat! (or don't. It's up to you...)
mbmbmbmbmb
Heya gang,
Very happy to have my copy of Evo now in-hand. Had a couple of questions that I'm hoping you folks can help with.

First, can a player birth a dino into an adjacent space that already has a dino in it? I know you can't MOVE into an adjacent space with your own dinos, and moving to one with an enemy starts a fight, but can you birth one into an occupied space?

Secondly, am I reading it correctly that, in a 2 player game, there will only be one gene available for bidding each turn? If so, won't that make that a gimme that the first person to bid will never get that gene unless the other player wants the event card?

Thanks much,

M13
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No you cannot birth in to an occupied space (unless you have the card that allows you to...)

Evo is a 3-5 player game. 2 players would need some changes...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Fungi From Yuggoth
United States
Northern Chicago burbs
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Philip Thomas wrote:

Evo is a 3-5 player game. 2 players would need some changes...

The new version of Evo says it's for 2-5, but I agree. If it's just the 3-5 version with a new player # written on the box, but no game play adjustments, then that's not going to work.

Hopefully other folks will know more on this.

Thanks,

M13
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Miracle
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As you mention, I can't find any modifications in the new rule book for the fact that the auctions don't work as written for two players.

I've tried random gene token pulls from the bag for two players which isn't satisfying game play wise as it ends up being too random for my taste.

I've also tried throwing out the prohibition on rebidding the same column and that works reasonably for 2 players.

I wish they had made some attempt to address this in the rule book though.

Anyone else have ideas on how best to handle this aspect of a 2 player game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The MiGo 13 wrote:
Secondly, am I reading it correctly that, in a 2 player game, there will only be one gene available for bidding each turn? If so, won't that make that a gimme that the first person to bid will never get that gene unless the other player wants the event card?

As the first bidder, you may just bid high to make the gene less interesting for your opponent. If you really want the gene, you can even secure it by bidding 6 mutation points.

In the original version, if a player is outbid, he can just increase his bid on the same gene. I understand they wanted to make the auction more interesting (hence the added rule for no duplicate genes), but I'm not sure that forcing the player to bid on a different item was a good idea, as it hurts the player with the initiative, which in this new edition is always the player with fewer dinos. I would just adopt the old rule in two-player games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Fungi From Yuggoth
United States
Northern Chicago burbs
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys. I think until I hear better, your suggestion to just rebid on the gene you want is a nice compromise. Kind of a bummer though. I really wanted to be able to play this with my just wife when our group wasn't around. When I heard that the new game was 2-5 I was hyped. Now, not as much. Still, have to try it. If the rest of the game is fun, then that's not bad.

Thanks,
M13
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I recently tested out a custom 2-player variant, and so far it seems pretty fun. It's for the old edition, but I don't imagine it would be a significant change for the new edition.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/742045/2-player-evo-vari...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffary Sonnentag
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have been playing that you cannot birth a dino into a space already inhabited by another dino. Although the rulebook doesn't explicitly say this it would violate the moving rule and cause an instant combat. (imagine a baby dino trying to defend it self against a full grown adult dino or better yet your "adult" dino having to move thru/into the occupied space to lay an egg)

Yes you are correct the 2 player version only draws one gene from the bag. it's not a "gimme" per say. You only start with 6MP. To make it a sure thing the first player would have to bid 6mp (all their MP) and at one birth per round for the first round and maybe 2 on the second(if the first gene was an egg) for one player getting that kind of bidding mp back will be challenging if not impossible.This makes the bidding round a money management exercise.
The up side is it is possible to get an event card for free.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
simmb wrote:
We have been playing that you cannot birth a dino into a space already inhabited by another dino. Although the rulebook doesn't explicitly say this it would violate the moving rule and cause an instant combat. (imagine a baby dino trying to defend it self against a full grown adult dino or better yet your "adult" dino having to move thru/into the occupied space to lay an egg)

In the older version, you have to birth into a non-occupied space adjacent to an adult dino. I find it unlikely they would have changed that for the newer version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Kitterman
United States
Silverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We played a two player game last night with rules as written and it worked quite well. We were tempted to change the auction rules but we tried it as writted and wound up liking it.

It makes the game faster to only bid on each gene once.
We will probably try it both ways. I can see the pros and cons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.