The Walking Dead: The Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: Am I missing something rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mark monk
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Just played my first game (a 2 player game).

The game lasted about 20-30mins. No one lost a survivor, very little fatigue tokens were dished out and locations were obtained very easily.

Also, neither of us had to fight a zombie token as we just used gas tokens to pass over them. There were a lot of tokens on the board but they just trailed us and we never had to back track and as were were in complete differnt areas on the board we never came close to being surrounded.

Does that seem right, its seems that nothing really happened and before I knew it the game was over. My opponent took farm, prison and armoury locations. Do you think that as they are all located in the lower left hand side of the board this made it easy for him or am I missing a major part of the game?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pone McPoneface
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone. Ripple in still water, when there is no pebble tossed, nor wind to blow.
badge
To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice, to break my fast on honey dew and drink the milk of paradise... I had heard the whispered tales of immortality, the deepest mystery, from an ancient book I took a clue.
mbmbmbmbmb
The only thing that might be missing from your game play experience and was not mentioned above was the event cards. Did you draw one for each and every resource (e.g. two event cards on hexes with 2 resources). Also did you draw event cards on locations?

I can see how you avoided zombie counters by not back tracking over your previous movement areas and in a two player game there are fewer zombie tokens being generated on the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark monk
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
we drew encounters to match resources. I assume you gain the success 'prizes' for each encounter you complete plus 'ALL' resources on a hex...

Also, we only drew encounter on locations if we were told to by location card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pone McPoneface
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone. Ripple in still water, when there is no pebble tossed, nor wind to blow.
badge
To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice, to break my fast on honey dew and drink the milk of paradise... I had heard the whispered tales of immortality, the deepest mystery, from an ancient book I took a clue.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like you did everything correct! I had a similar experience playing solo when I was working on a write up for a review. No hassles, all events were successful, got a couple of followers and was pretty much unbeatable with my dice pool. I tend to find that 4 players is pretty good for spreading out zombie counters and drawing more 6 zombie attack encounter cards. All of my games, including the 4 player ones, have averaged around 30-45 minutes, but we play pretty fast being a relatively simple game. Keeps it enjoyable. You might want to check the forums for some variants that have been offered to increase difficulty and add variety to the games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pone McPoneface
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dagaff wrote:
My opponent took farm, prison and armoury locations. Do you think that as they are all located in the lower left hand side of the board this made it easy for him or am I missing a major part of the game?

Thanks

I think this definitely made your game easier as your scouted locations were in close proximity to one another. If this happens again you can always redraw them to make sure they are spread out.

One variant we have used in our sessions is to pick the three locations ahead of time. Spreading them out and selecting one that has a slightly more difficult goal, like the motel, which you need an item in your possession to scout the location. We did locations north to south opposite, one was the motel, and one Atlanta location (gun store).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.