Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Commands & Colors: Ancients Expansion Pack #6 – The Spartan Army» Forums » General

Subject: Thin terrain tiles... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I read that the tiles in this expansion and the new Commands & Colors: Napoleonics Expansion #1 – The Spanish Army are extremely thin! shake

GMT doesn't plan to do anything about it, so i'd like to now if these tiles also wrap after a while (since they are made in China).

If that's the case i'll wait for the reprint before ordering.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
go2 Youtube Historical Gaming
mbmbmbmbmb
They are thin, but I dont think they will warp

I noticed this posted in another forum too so I just posted an answer in both

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Didn't merit a single thread, much less a duplicate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BrentS
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GeoMan wrote:
I read that the tiles in this expansion and the new Commands & Colors: Napoleonics Expansion #1 – The Spanish Army are extremely thin! :shake:

GMT doesn't plan to do anything about it, so i'd like to now if these tiles also wrap after a while (since they are made in China).

If that's the case i'll wait for the reprint before ordering.

If you wait for a reprint of a C&C:Ancients expansion you might be waiting for a long time (probably forever). None of the C&C:A expansions have been reprinted to date. With the very popular Expansion 1 released in 2007, and no word that there's a planned reprint for it, that makes a reprint pretty unlikely. The only planned one, the combined 2 & 3 pack, is languishing well short of its P500 target. I expect the same will be true of Napoleonics. There's a strong market and audience for the base game of each, because it's as far as many people will go with the game, and you can expect reliable and regular reprinting of those....but not expansions, which are for system devotees, of which there are admittedly many, but not enough I suspect for GMT to find a reliable market for affordable reprints.

In short, if the thin tiles are a deal breaker for you, I don't think you'll ever be playing your own copy of either Spartans or Spanish. If you genuinely enjoy the games and want to play the expansions, I don't understand why the tiles would be an issue.....the expansions are about the scenarios and armies, reportedly excellent for both. I didn't even know there were new tiles, and I expect there are only a few (I haven't received mine yet....maybe the lucky few who have can give a better idea of exactly how many we're talking about). If there's an aesthetic issue, I'll be popping them on top of other tiles. If they warp, I'll be proxying other tiles or sticking them under perspex.......but I won't be missing out on playing what look to be fine additions to both systems for the sake of a minor component I wasn't aware was in either of the boxes anyway when I preordered it.

Brent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's just a single sheet of tiles, and while they're thin, they're serviceable. I wouldn't not buy the expansion because of them. Plus, looking at the C&C:A folder on Consimworld, it looks like GMT hasn't said they won't do anything (although I wouldn't be surprised if that was the ultimate call), only that nothing's really happening during the holidays.

Just an fyi on the Expansions 2&3 reprint: GMT doesn't usually wait until the 500 preorders threshold is reached for reprints, although I'm sure the more orders the better in terms of making it a priority.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One easy solution is for GMT to provide a second terrain tile sheet and glue two tiles together to make a thicker one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
go2 Youtube Historical Gaming
mbmbmbmbmb
They are perfectly fine as is. I dont see a need for anything more. I have the game, and I am really impressed with the quality of all the components.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am ok with the thinner tiles too... would have been nice to have thicker for conformity... oh well, I'm just happy the blue blocks match the blue from expansion 1... I felt the Eastern Kingdoms blocks from expansion 4 were quite a disapointment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Briggs
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
StevenE wrote:
... oh well, I'm just happy the blue blocks match the blue from expansion 1... I felt the Eastern Kingdoms blocks from expansion 4 were quite a disapointment.

The blue blocks in my Spartan expansion are slightly darker than the expansion 1 blocks. But they are close enough. Besides, I kind of like being able to tell the difference between core blocks and expansion blocks.

And about the terrain tiles. I'd prefer that the components were uniform but the thinner tiles are acceptable. I have a feeling that if there are terrain tiles in the next expansion, that GMT will make sure they are correctly produced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Korstick
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The tiles are double sided or you could easily just glue some card board on yourself if its that big of a concern. But Really I have both of the new expansions too and the tiles are no big deal they work fine and are not really big enough to warp significantly and very few are new tiles most are just extras.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
mbmbmbmbmb
StevenE wrote:
I am ok with the thinner tiles too... would have been nice to have thicker for conformity... oh well, I'm just happy the blue blocks match the blue from expansion 1... I felt the Eastern Kingdoms blocks from expansion 4 were quite a disapointment.

I just wish they had made all the boxes the same height...it looks like crap on my shelf since I have them in order of release and not height.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris toph
Germany
Mannheim
flag msg tools
badge
Not an actual picture of me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. Only positive about that is that the barbarian box is able to hold A4 pages
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Grainger
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess, for those of us not lucky enough to get expansion 2 and 3 before they went out of print, the only silver lining is that the box for the reprint (if it ever appears) might match the others in height. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Brown
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think any fans of the C&C series would have plenty of other terrain tiles that would work just fine as replacements. I must admit I have not purchased this expansion or the Nappy"Spanish" one yet, but will as soon as I refill the coffers.("Sergeants" hurt me funds for the month)

Spartan please tell me you are not keeping stuff in these boxes and they are just for display.(nice collection)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.