Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
I have played quite a bit and noticed that when people lose all their coins and cards on one turn, they become despondent.

I'd love to have some tips in my back pocket to tell them. When I am in that situation, my decisions are situational. Does anyone have more generic advice to help people feel less out of it?

I know they can come back, but it does not feel that way to them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eagle-Eyed Superhawk
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
Oh, America, what have you done.
mbmbmb
Ha, I was thinking about posting this exact same question. But not to make other people feel better--to make ME feel better.

Honestly, I don't have any good tactics for this situation yet, I just wing it and hope for the best.

So how DOES one come back from that? I guess "Use your knowledge of your deck to decide whether to split your Wealth actions" might be a good point. Meaning, if you have lots of 2-cost Oracles and Grizzled Vets, take a card and two coins; if you have expensive cards, load up on either coins or cards.

What else?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Also, when it happens on the first turn, you have nothing out, so unless you get lucky and get two coins and a 2 cost card, you are basically twiddling your thumbs.

I like this starting variant, but am not sure it entirely solves the issue:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/680419/emissary-of-war-a...

In addition, some on this list play that if as first-player first-turn, you take two coins, you get three coins, and the same for cards. I had not played that way, but if you do, it would make things even rougher for the other player from start.

It seems pretty hard to come back from 6 points down, so for those reading this list, if you were to set a mercy rule, where would you set it, if at all?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a game where the first player went and basically discarded all of my cards after stealing all of my coins.

I still lost the game but I managed a huge comeback where I completed two feats and won two war-torn cities in the same turn.

Because the other winner has to discard down to one unit, it leaves it open for counter strikes.

Cameron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avedis Yaacoubian
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
If I don't have any cards or coins then I'll draw four cards and get rid of one during the offering step, which usually means I end my turn with three cards and three coins. I'm essentially burning a turn to rebuild my resources. While burning a turn may not be advisable in most card games, this card game has a system set up where you don't always need to get more units out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jones
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mawrocks wrote:
If I don't have any cards or coins then I'll draw four cards and get rid of one during the offering step, which usually means I end my turn with three cards and three coins. I'm essentially burning a turn to rebuild my resources. While burning a turn may not be advisable in most card games, this card game has a system set up where you don't always need to get more units out there.

Yes, my thoughts exactly. I think that perhaps 80% of the time or more you should be taking all of your wealth actions in one "type" in order to get the bonus. It really adds up over the course of the game. The sacrifice is key, as well as paying close attention to your opponents resource situation and keeping track of those two nasty "discard everything" beasts.

Not sure if the OP is playing the game with drafting rules (the only way it should be played IMO). If not, then I agree that there is a first turn advantage issue, especially with certain lucky card draws.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dani Evans
United Kingdom
Telford
Shropshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I know my opponent has card-discard abilities then I tend to stockpile cash and get rid of most of my cards. Drawing four new cards on the next turn then gives you plenty to play with. Likewise if they can attack your bank, I'll stockpile cards and leave myself low on coins. Being able to take four coins or four cards at the start of the turn means you're pretty well protected from one or the other.

Of course if your opponent can attack both your bank AND your hand then you may be in trouble. I try to avoid letting them get the cards for both but if they did, I would probably stockpile cards rather than coins - you can turn a card into coins at the end of your turn but not vice versa and while they can force you to discard cards, the Seaside Guardian can steal your coins which is even worse.

To answer the original question though, if I've got no coins or cards at the start of my turn, I'll normally take four cards and consider the turn lost. Then as mentioned above, I'll offer one for either coins or cards depending on which I think will be less likely to get hit. If they don't manage to sting me again I'm then in a nice place to start the following turn.

Like someone else said, I love how quickly counter attacks can be put together in this game laugh

Edit: Oh also of course, burning through cards lets you recycle your discard pile sooner which is great for getting your best cards back into play. Unless you're playing a deck which works with the discard pile of course - so many ways to play, so little time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.