Popular Tags: [View All]
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A friend got this expansion and complained that the cards are very thin. I haven't seen it, but are the cards so thin?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cezary Domalski
Poland
Szczecin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes it is true - I suggest put them right away in a sleeves (I use Mayday Magnum Silver 70x110 mm and they fit perfectly).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My copy arrived. The cards are not exactly paper-thin, just thin. They look like they were printed on a laser printer, so sleeves are a must if you want them to last more than a few plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Reed
Canada
Ancaster
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just opened mine and the glue holding the box together was not sticking so it just fell apart.

As already mentioned, the cards are very thin and the edges are not cut properly so they have a ridge on the side of the cards about an inch from the top on one side and the same from the bottom on the other side.

Loved the original game and the quality of the components, so this is a real disappointment especially for the cost of the expansion.

You could get the same quality from a home printer.

Not impressed with the idea of having to deal out some extra cash for sleeves either.

Hope the actual cards add to the game, but first impression is two thumbs down on quality.

D.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Reed
Canada
Ancaster
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On a closer inspection, I also found a number of additional issues.

1.Spelling errors and letters missing from words,

2. Some of the card names were not translated or only partially translated into English. This even applies to cards that were part of the original game. Ie. they were ok in the original, but now have problems.

3. The cards are using different fonts. Not just different sizes, but different character sets and some are almost impossible to read. This also applies to the reprinted set from the original.

4. The print quality is not as good as from the original game. Therefore some cards are also hard to read since the printing is not sharp and crisp.

It is a pity, since I really enjoyed the original game and was looking forward to this expansion, but am left feeling pretty disappointed.

D.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gray
United States
Watertown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
?? Wow. Really disappointing. Went from a going-to-buy to off the list entirely. Where's the Quality Control?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
furtherbum wrote:
?? Wow. Really disappointing. Went from a going-to-buy to off the list entirely. Where's the Quality Control?

You decided not to buy based on the comments of three people? I'm not saying the posters above are wrong, but their standards may be different than yours. Or mine, for that matter. I saw similar complaints about Lords of Waterdeep, and having purchased a copy, I think its components are first class.

I'd like to see base game and expansion components side by side in comparative images. If the printing quality is inferior, a photo ought to make that readily apparent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Reed
Canada
Ancaster
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will try to give more specific examples when I get home. I am traveling for 2 weeks, but will post some pictures showing comparisons of the print errors and quality.

I do not have lords of waterdeep, but the cards are of less quality than Mage Knight. Just the fact that they are not plasticized makes a huge difference. It really is just card stock. Similar to what you get for printing your own business cards at home.

Sharpness of the print is hard to describe, but hopefully the pictures help once I get them up.

D.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Reed
Canada
Ancaster
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As promised, I have posted some pics showing the poor quality of the expansion cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.
mbmbmbmbmb
5. The backs on my cards aren't consistent for my copy (dark blue vs lighter blue, dark red vs lighter red).

STYLES_DNR wrote:
2. Some of the card names were not translated or only partially translated into English. This even applies to cards that were part of the original game. Ie. they were ok in the original, but now have problems.

THIS. I had a card that referred to the guy who combos with Jacinto Ruiz for 3-cube victory, but the card used something like "El [title] [last name]" while the real card was "[full name]". Then when I looked at the Spanish on the same card, it was somebody else's name entirely. Confused...

I know, thanks to the base game, that it refers to that card though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Never mind, STYLES_DNR has already illustrated the problems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think my Mayor of Mostoles has a different Spanish title... Will check.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serious? Lee
United States
Coppell
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Lost in thought.
mbmbmbmbmb
STYLES_DNR wrote:
On a closer inspection, I also found a number of additional issues.

1.Spelling errors and letters missing from words,

I've listed the errors present in the English translation in forum post English text card errors and changes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.