Ninja: Legend of the Scorpion Clan» Forums » Rules

Subject: Great but questions, questions, questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Collier
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. When you enter a square with a guard/guards/patrol and don't kill them all or evade them, do you have to stop? Can't you just dash through, raising the alert level to 4 of course (and telling everyone which square you went through) but just keep going? If the answer to that is 'yes' can you search that square as you go? The rules seem to suggest that you can (I think).

2. Can you move a sentry to a square with a patrol in it, then have him join that patrol for their mandatory movement along a patrol path?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Bolme
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Yes, you can dash tough.

2. Yes, but a single guard cannot move more than two zones per turn, so the sentry joining the patrol may shorten its movement that turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Collier
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So if a sentry moves two zones to reach that patrol, the patrol won't move that turn? What if the sentry only moved one zone to get to the patrol, would the patrol then move one zone only?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Bolme
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Those are correct.

This rule prevents the guard player from using multiple cards to whip guards across the map at the speed of a race car.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Fort Polk
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So
Page 9 wrote:
Each Guard can move only once per turn.

Should read "Each Guard can move no further than 2 spaces per turn?

And
Page 9 wrote:
However, if any figure in the patrol has already moved this turn, that patrol does not move during this phase.

Should read "However, if any figure in the patrol has already moved 1 zone this turn, then that patrol will only move 1 zone this phase. Moreso, if any figure in the patrol has already moved 2 zones this turn, then that patrol will not move during this phase."

Lastly,
Page 9 wrote:
Patrols always move two zones forward, following the patrol track

Should read "Patrols always move forward to their maximum allowance, following the patrol track"?

Strange to find a card driven game where the rulebook needs more errata than the cards! (note that I like this game and the overall amount of errata is acceptably small).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Bolme
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll defer to designer intent, but once moved, you're done moving. So no, a guard that joins a patrol would not move with that patrol. Just move hte guard to where the patrol will end up, instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Fort Polk
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like this approach better, much less bookkeeping.

But it raises two more conundrums:
CASE 1: Patrol has 2 unmoved guards, and sentry can only reach the space in front of the patrol: The rulebook says sentries can join patrols at the end of their movement. I don't remember seeing anything that explicitly allows a patrol to stop after only 1 zone to pick up a sentry.

CASE 2: Using Frederic's explanation, I could move a sentry 1 zone onto the patrol track to join with another lone sentry that hasn't moved, and then let the Patrol phase push them both forwards 1 zone. Using your explanation, to get the same result, I'd have to be allowed to 'free-move' sentries along the patrol track to form patrols on the fly.

I can see why the original rulebook kept it at "2 or 0"; there is a barrel of edge-cases under this rock! I don't think I'll play with these sorts of half-moves yet.

Lastly, Thanks for your rapid response!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederic Moyersoen
Belgium
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
CASE 1: Right. Patrols must move 2 zones.

CASE 2: Not right. Each sentry moves only once whether he is alone or in a patrol. This makes no difference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.