Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
My well-meaning but generally incompetent relatives have bought me a copy of Mexican Train for Christmas. Normally this would join all the other poor board-game choices down at the charity shop, but I'm really taken by the fact that it contains a set of good-quality dominoes.

And no normal dominoes, either. A set of 12-dominoes. These ones go even higher than Spinal Tap!

Thinking about it, there are lots of great card mechanics, and dice mechanics, but very few involving these high-quality bits of ivory*.

So I'm thinking, how about taking my set of dominoes (either the full 12-set, or a 6-set - which would be a lot easier for anyone else who wanted to play it) and turning them into the central mechanic of a game design. I'm not terribly good at this design business, and all my ideas so far have become cumbersome and unplayable, so keeping it simple would definitely be a boon.

I'm not really after a whole game, just a clever way of using the doms that can be built upon with some theme, a board and other bits and pieces.

Hopefully, I'll get my New Years GG bonus soon, so 5GG to everyone who comes up with a suggestion I like!

* Disclaimer: almost certainly not ivory!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"To be honorable and just is our only defense against men without honor or justice." -Diogenes of Sinope
badge
If ye see the laird, tell him this makes the twelve hunner and nineteen time that Jennet Clouston has called down the curse on him and his house, byre and stable, man, guest, and master, wife, miss, or bairn—black be their fall! -RLStevenson
mbmbmbmbmb
I spent months trying to come up with a good domino game and finally conceded defeat. I'm sure there's a game in those lovely pieces, but I couldn't find it. Everything I tried was inelegant, to say the least.

However, I will say that the best existing domino game is Muggins if you want to try a traditional domino game that doesn't suck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sim Guy
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I was much younger, we were sitting around with a game of Easy Money and a set of dominoes, among other games, playing cards, and game bits. The dominoes were of the 6-dot maximum type and the game was missing its dice. It occurred to us that we could use the dominoes instead of dice by drawing them out of a bag, we even left the blanks in as sort of a random penalty, and we played out the game without any problems.

Since then I've incorporated dominoes into a few game designs, or as variants to other e.g. Risk. You can use them in place of dice, or play them like cards (i.e. you have a small hand of die rolls that you may play in the order you prefer).

We even used them like block wargame units, in a Stratego style game - sometimes the total number of pips was the strength, sometimes you could only use one side or the other, and you could cover one side during a 'combat', limiting the intelligence you would give your opponent.

Some domino sets have different colored pips - I'm sure something could be done with that angle.

Lots of uses, especially if you had some different colored/styled sets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, here's some very undeveloped initial thoughts.

d10-1 Something a bit area-control-ish, with 7 (or 13) districts linked to the numbers on the dominoes. Each domino represents a possible action in one of two districts and a clever distribution of dominoes ensures all players get asymmetric but balanced powers. Cash in a domino to place influence in one of the two areas (or discard it for eg. extra cash?).

d10-2 Create a domino chain (around the outside of the board - would also act quite nicely as an end-game trigger), but there is no obligation to match numbers. Link the sum total created at each connection between two doms to an action of some sort. Worker placement? Resource collection?

d10-3 Dominoes as currency? Not sure how this would work, but I can see some sort of auction being core to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Stanley
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my greatest designs is played with Dominoes. Unfortunately, I have been waiting for a developer to finish coding it for the iOS, so I have not released the full rules yet.

But rejoice in the knowledge that there are excellent games that can be played with Dominoes!

Ivory Tower

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Brune
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
HEY! That TICKLES!
mbmbmbmbmb
Not exactly a new design, but some food-for-thought to work with. Also not what most people around here (LA) think of when they think of "dominoes"...

Think Bridge-like bidding & trick-taking game that preceded Bridge. At least according to the publishing dates here on BGG. Didn't research it further than that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Rodeffer
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure it helps you now, but I've done a couple of Domino games, including Nehemiah, Broadway and Sudominoku.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerry Harrison
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
badge
Meep. Meep. Meep.
mbmbmbmbmb
CDRodeffer wrote:
Not sure it helps you now, but I've done a couple of Domino games, including Nehemiah, Broadway and Sudominoku.

Chad, thanks for the posting the links to those rules, the Broadway game looks particularly fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With a set of double 12 dominos, you can play Double Some'R'Set. Only one thing missing and that would be one card (double zero or the S/S). You could take out the double zero and play it fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CDRodeffer wrote:

I'm always looking for Bible-related games, so the link to Nehemiah is really interesting to me. I like that idea of building up a wall of dominos!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Loscutoff
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
I'd rather lose to a good move, Than win to a bad one...
badge
the abstract manifest.
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Sid Sackson's Domino Bead Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another good domino game is Euronimoes. Definitely check it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerry Harrison
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
badge
Meep. Meep. Meep.
mbmbmbmbmb
Black Canyon wrote:
Another good domino game is Euronimoes. Definitely check it out.

Thanks, will definitely give that one a try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
If anyone was interested (I'm sure you're not really!), I've just finished turning my dominoes into a jumbo set of Flowerpower.

A warning to anyone attempting the same - you need 10 extra dominoes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K Septyn
United States
Unspecified
Michigan
flag msg tools
SEKRIT MESSAGE SSSHHHHHHHHH
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't seem to find my copy, but there's Puremco's Great Book of Domino Games. A lot of different games were listed, there might be something in there outside the Muggins/Chickenfoot/Mexican Train families.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.