Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Rinella
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Playtesting of the "sequel" to Shifting Sands has been going on for several months now. The title of the new design is Festung Europa: The Second World War in Western Europe, 1943-1945.

After the WBCs in early August it was decided to do several revisions - changes to the map, counters, and some of the 110 cards - that took about a month to carry out. The new version of the game, "2.0," has been ready for three months now but we've lost a lot of the original playtesters due to "real life" as they say.

There are cyberboard and vassal kits (although I'm not 100% certain both have been updated), and a collective g-mail account to help speed communication. If you are interested and have a real, living and breathing human opponent, drop me a line here or find me at consimworld. Playtesters who contibute significantly will be rewarded with a free copy of the game on publication, and everyone who contributes at all will be included in the credits.

Michael Rinella
Designer, Shifting Sands
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ball
United Kingdom
Nr Grantham
Lincs
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am interested in playtesting, I usually use a hard copy as I tend to play against opponents at our local club. I have helped playtest a couple of other games Outremer (now Kingdom of Heaven MMP) and Here I stand (GMT). If you think I can help contact us here and I will send you my details. Peter

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Rinella
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
At this moment in time we appear to have the kit fully updated in Vassal but I it appears our cyberboard creator has dropped out of the picture.

A physical copy of the game isn't possible, though, sorry.

I should also mention we have had some responses and have about a half-dozen people directly involved, which is definately going to be helpful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ball
United Kingdom
Nr Grantham
Lincs
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
No problem I look forward to the game. Shifting Sands is one of my favourite Desert War games and most times comes down to the last turn for a victory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Rinella
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a small update. The playtest has continued with version 2.0. Right now the 1945 "end game" remains the sticking issue. Ideas have been tossed around and while good they will require yet another revamp of the map, cards, and rules - so we are some months away from turning this in to the publisher.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Rinella
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, given that the publisher, Worthington Games, likes to post most or all of a game's components before publication I would expect you'll get to see both the rules and the card manifests and be able to make a decision if it sounds worth purchasing. Right now I have high hopes for Festung: Europa, I think it's one of my best designs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Morehouse
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I was asked by Henry Russel to do some play testing with him. If you have the CSW link that would be great. I always have trouble finding things there...

Frank
milrevko@gmail.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Johansson
Sweden
Umeå
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any news on this title?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Rinella
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kingen wrote:
Any news on this title?

I could swear I posted in this thread yesterday - maybe it was a similar one.

In short, Worthington released the rights to the game back to me a few months ago and I've been too busy with other projects (and starting my own company, Take Aim Designs) to return to Festung Europa. The game is essentially finished however.

Michael Rinella
Designer, Festung Europa
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Rinella
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael Rinella wrote:
kingen wrote:
Any news on this title?

The game is essentially finished however.

Michael Rinella
Designer, Festung Europa

Given how busy I am working on area-impulse games I have decided to post the FE playtest kit as a free download at the game's dicussion at consimworld. I've given permission to print one copy for personal use, all other rights retained.

http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX/.1dd4ea3d/209

As you will see there are a large number of files.

Note: this kit is version 3.0 of the game and represents the "fine tuning" to version 2.0 mentioned earlier this year. It has not, however, been playtested yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Rinella
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
An ACTS module and a Cyberboard version of Festung Europa are in preparation as well, with my blessing. I'm not sure when they will be ready, however.

Edit 12/22 Cyberboard kit and ACTS module have been completed. You can find them at consimworld.

Edit 1/14 I'm currently playing a game against the creator of the cyberboard kit. We're posting comments at consimworld in the Festung Europa discussion (WWII/Individual Games/Western Front).

Edit 2/5 The Cyberboard works so well I've taken down everything but the rulebook and card manifest. Two games completed between the designer of the CB kit and myself - the game is working quite well. Now, about finding a publisher . . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Rinella
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A Vassal module for Festung Europa, using the most up-to-date version of the prototype game, has been created.

The module may be found here:

http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/File:FestungEuropa-v0.1_04062011a.vmod

If you are interested contact me and I will email you the rules. This is a close to finished product. Compass Games and I would just like one last round to get more feedback on side balance, side preference (or fun factor), and just plain old AARs.

Michael Rinella
Designer, Festung Europa

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.