Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played both. They have some similarities - building, etc, but World Without End is essentially a 4p only game. You can play with less, but it seems to play true with 4 - there is the adequate amount of tightness. There also seems to be a lot more "pain" in WWE due to the shortage of resources, which I love.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Seb. ●leoskyangel●
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
badge
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
I have played both. They have some similarities - building, etc, but World Without End is essentially a 4p only game. You can play with less, but it seems to play true with 4 - there is the adequate amount of tightness. There also seems to be a lot more "pain" in WWE due to the shortage of resources, which I love.

I like the shortage part in WWE too! It's really unforgiving and made us plan for few turns ahead. I like the part where each time you are penalized, you have to deduct VPs (same goes with pillars). I also like the part where you get to build the projects available on the board. Placing cubes on these project (in helping building them) feels like you're really building it.

The part where you draw event card and try to align them so that each player siting at the sides of the board get what's depicted is pretty neat IMO. Also, I like a game where each player has their own identical action cards because I like to see which player can manage well. Other game that uses this is K2.

As for Pillars, I've only tried it once with 2-players, and it was a good game. I like the part where money is crucial in this game.

I think I like them both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my favorite parts of WWE is that you have to adapt on the fly. If you go for a total build strategy and no buildings come out, you are screwed. You need to work your strategy based on what is happening on the events.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam O'Brien
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Even Cleverer Overtext
badge
Every time someone activates this overtext, it takes a year off my life. Hover often please!
mbmbmbmbmb
In general I feel like Pillars is a strategic, engine building game that develops more over time, whereas WWE feels more tactical as you have less control of your resources (because of the event card rotation mechanic). The looming penalties at the end of each round of WWE provide more tension than the positive or negative event cards in Pillars. Both are good, and both are worth owning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played WWE once, but add me to the list of those who like both.
The resource collection mechanics are completely different, and, as one poster mentioned, if you haven't got certain resources during the round-end phase in WWE, you lose points. This makes it much more a blocking game, as one player hoarded gold in our game and pretty much screwed the rest of us.

I like the roll selection of WWE and the turn-order selection of pulling the builders out of the bag, then having to decide if you want to wait or pay the price for immediate placement.

They're both great games.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Katrina
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WWE is probably one of my top 5 games, period. I have played Pillars maybe twice. I strongly dislike the random turn order part in Pillars; I feel like you have much more control over your own destiny/resources in WWE - or, at least, the same control/opportunity as everyone else. Less luck involved, essentially - and if something bad happens it almost always happens to everyone.

Also mechanics-wise, Pillars has worker placement whereas WWE is more hand management.

Oh, I also love WWE as a 2-player game! Obviously you don't run out of resources so it plays a bit differently, higher scores, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauricio Montoya
Colombia
Medellín
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have played this one so many times, more than any other game in my collection and it's always a blast. Although we mostly play it with 4 players, in case of less people we have used our own variant in which you remove 2 grain pieces and 2 piety markers for each missing player when you set-up the board (so there is 2 grain and 2 piety less in a 3-player game, and 4 and 4 with two players) to keep the scarcity of the resources towards the end, and the scoring opportunities more tight.

That way you feel the urgency to get them before the other player hoards them all (still, there are enough for everyone plus a few extras, but not too many that you can relax) and towards the end of the game you still have some event cards unable to provide the income (a free point instead) and a couple of spaces in the favor track become useless in the last chapter, just like a regular 4-player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.