25 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: Green Dot prepaid debit cards~RANT rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
So, did anyone get a Green Dot prepaid debit card for Christmas this year?

I know I did. I ALSO got one last year, and let me tell you, I LOATHE these things. The person who gave it to me told me that is is preloaded with $15. It was the same amount last year.

So, it is basically cash, right? Nope. You have to register the things. By "register" I mean enter in your full name, address, email address, cell and home phone numbers, date of birth, aaand...your social security number.

And once you have spent 5 minutes just registering the thing, you go to check your balance and get a cheery little message telling you that the "automatic service fee" of $5.00 has been subtracted from your card total, meaning that you now have exactly $10.00.

Of course, when I got it this year, I tried to act sincerely happy, because I'm not a total Grinch.

Only upside to this thing is that I now have a nice and shiny bookmark.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never heard of these but it sounds like a scam. Personally, I'm a grinch. In your place I would say "Sorry I can't use these, please give it to someone who can" and give it back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
You could have taken this and broke it in half in front of them, whilst you declared: "oh great! Now I have 2 $5 'bookmarks'!" whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Was it the same person who gave it to you last year? If so, you might want to let them know the info you have to give Green Dot and that you're not getting all the money. Perhaps they don't know that you're not getting the full $15.

Personally, I wouldn't give my social security number to anyone for $15.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
amwiles wrote:

Was it the same person who gave it to you last year? If so, you might want to let them know the info you have to give Green Dot and that you're not getting all the money. Perhaps they don't know that you're not getting the full $15.

Yep, same person. "They" are my aunt and uncle. They always give 'em out to all of their nieces and nephews, so it kinda puts us all in a weird position.

And don't worry, I didn't even bother registering it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cool User
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are consumer protection laws which limit service fees and the like. An automatic 33% deduction in the value of the card sounds like your state's Attorney General might be interested in knowing about it. You might want to contact them, or at least report the company to the Better Business Bureau so others are aware of what a bad deal their cards are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cool User
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
amwiles wrote:

If I give you $16 will you tell me? devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
cool username wrote:
There are consumer protection laws which limit service fees and the like. An automatic 33% deduction in the value of the card sounds like your state's Attorney General might be interested in knowing about it. You might want to contact them, or at least report the company to the Better Business Bureau so others are aware of what a bad deal their cards are.

Uno problameo: Visa makes and distributes these things. So I have feeling that this is probably entirely legal, or at least it is now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
What is weird is, if they want to give you $15, why not just give $15 cash in a card? I've gotten cash as a gift before. I prefer it to a "I don't know what to get you so here is some junk" gift, and I'd much prefer it to $10 that cost the giver $15.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cool User
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
braveheart101 wrote:
Uno problameo: Visa makes and distributes these things. So I have feeling that this is probably entirely legal, or at least it is now.

They can't charge you fees that are not clearly disclosed. So either the fees were not transparent, or (excuse my bluntness), your aunt & uncle are idiots.

http://money.cnn.com/2010/03/23/news/economy/gift_card_regul...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony C
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Then again, is "clearly stated" defined? I know I've gotten cards before, and on the back of the card or the back of the package is a whole lot of little fine print. It's there, it's visible, it's accessible, but who reads it?
I haven't gotten a Green Dot card though.
I don't know if it's a "ripoff" or "scam" - depends on how easy that information is to find and read - and there is a price for convenience, but that sounds crazy.
It's probably worse because of the small amount. I wouldn't be surprised if it was "5.00 fee for cards up to X", and since the card is only 15, that's a big chunk.
That does seem weird though. What happened to a 20-dollar bill in a Christmas card?
Asking for the SS# - not sure about that. It might have something to do with anti-terror security measures?

I've been getting solicitations for secured credit cards, which are similar. "Give us 500$, and after the signup fee, annual fee, and first month's fee, you have 250$ "credit"".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludes
United States
Honor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dtcarson wrote:

I've been getting solicitations for secured credit cards, which are similar. "Give us 500$, and after the signup fee, annual fee, and first month's fee, you have 250$ "credit"".

That's. just. crazy. Major banks?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony C
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The main one is Orchard bank, I don't know if they're big, little, legit, or out of some guy's garage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Shepherd
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Be on your guard. There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.
mb
I don't think you'll be charged a fee again. You just have to register once, then the next time you log in to your "account" and add the funds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cool User
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
braveheart101 wrote:

And don't worry, I didn't even bother registering it.

Search for "donate gift card to charity" and you'll find there are hundreds/thousands of charities that would take it off your hands for a good cause.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cool User
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LudesFactor wrote:
dtcarson wrote:

That's. just. crazy. Major banks?

That kind of setup is usually for people who have really bad credit and can't get a "real" credit card on their own. It's a debit card that helps you build your credit rating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abraham Drucker
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
MOAR GAMES
badge
Damn Dirty Ape I Love You
mbmbmbmbmb
Alas, Greendot is legit, known about and growing like crazy.

The pre-paid debit card market is dominated by non-bank players, and is largely unregulated. It fills an important niche for the un and under banked population, but it's rife with fees and often not a good deal.

The major players have started moving in to the market however, and that is forcing it to be somewhat more transparent.

Things like the Amex pre-paid card charge the purchaser, not the recipient, so the fee is more transparent.

https://www.americanexpress.com/gift-cards/

Also, Wells offers the service, but iirc only to customers, but you can order online in bulk.

https://www.wellsfargo.com/giftcard/faq/bulk

Also, the Visa logo doesn't mean that it's put out by visa. The card is issued by Greendot, but uses Visa's 'rails' to process the payment.

Also, I've never been a fan of these cards. I much prefer a check or cash, or even a gift card to somewhere like amazon or target (which doesn't cost everyone money).

You may want to let them know about the hefty fees that Greendot is charging. If it was a one time fee, for a service you were planning on usine, no big deal, but in this case, ouch.

Also, you may want to let hem know that all the cool kids these days want amazon gift cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
What is weird is, if they want to give you $15, why not just give $15 cash in a card? I've gotten cash as a gift before. I prefer it to a "I don't know what to get you so here is some junk" gift, and I'd much prefer it to $10 that cost the giver $15.

I regret that I have but one thumb to give for this post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HMS Iron Duke
United States
Bartlett
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cool username wrote:
amwiles wrote:

So Amy, what we are really doing here is negotiating price?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Kinney
United States
Bellefontaine
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ze_stom wrote:
Things like the Amex pre-paid card charge the purchaser, not the recipient, so the fee is more transparent.

https://www.americanexpress.com/gift-cards/

Also, the Visa logo doesn't mean that it's put out by visa. The card is issued by Greendot, but uses Visa's 'rails' to process the payment.

VISA also has these, work the same way.

You still have to register either one, but only to use them for online purchases, you can use them immediately for face to face transactions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike Sisson wrote:
cool username wrote:
amwiles wrote:

So Amy, what we are really doing here is negotiating price?

If it were a large corporation that I wasn't familiar with, we're talking thousands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bellevue
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mb
braveheart101 wrote:
cool username wrote:

If Green Dot is located in South Dakota, it's legal.

South Dakota's usury laws are quite lenient. As such, businesses flock there just to be able to legally bend over customers and eff 'em.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
除名山 蔵芽戸
Japan
Sendai
Miyagi
flag msg tools
badge
On Green Dot's facebook page they have a "Facebook Etiquette" section. I guess they get bitched about a lot on there. Or at least I hope they do...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually ask for gift cards of about $25 for XMas from my Mother-in-law...

Last year I tried to use it for the '11 supporter fund... only to find out there was a $1.00 per try charge...

So I needed to $26.00 to do it... soblue

But I only had like $22.00 left due to three consecutive tries on BGG for the $25.00 donation... at one buck a pop... (and I still had to do it a different way.)

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
captkayoss wrote:
I don't think you'll be charged a fee again. You just have to register once, then the next time you log in to your "account" and add the funds.

I've never heard of this green dot thing, but this is what I thought about when reading your original post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.