Subject: Enemy movement question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jay Kiley
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the example in the back of the book, when the group of friendly aircraft were located in the southern approach area, how was it determined that the mig in the northern approach area was to move into the center area and not the eastern or western approach areas, which are also adjacent to the southern area?

Was it random? Was it player's choice? Or was it pre-determined through some "priority" rule, such as the migs will always move into the center area given the opportunity?

I'm not sure, and any help would be appreciated. Right now, when there is more than one adjacent area for a mig to move into, I'm playing that it's player choice only because: 1) the rules say nothing about making a random determination; and 2) the rules say nothing about priority.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GreatDebate wrote:
In the example in the back of the book, when the group of friendly aircraft were located in the southern approach area, how was it determined that the mig in the northern approach area was to move into the center area and not the eastern or western approach areas, which are also adjacent to the southern area?

Was it random? Was it player's choice? Or was it pre-determined through some "priority" rule, such as the migs will always move into the center area given the opportunity?

I'm not sure, and any help would be appreciated. Right now, when there is more than one adjacent area for a mig to move into, I'm playing that it's player choice only because: 1) the rules say nothing about making a random determination; and 2) the rules say nothing about priority.

always attack the closest aircraft , if more than 1 then use dice to determine which one
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Kiley
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the fast response, but, to be honest, I wasn't really talking about attacks. The question concerned where a Mig moves when there are two areas adjacent to your closest aircraft for the Mig to move into.

Hope that clarifies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
maybe i assume to much but for enemy aircraft tactics i always use straight approach so a MIG at northren approach will pass thru center even if both the east and west area are adjacent with your strike group at southren approach..

most of the time those vietnam mig's tactic are hit and run , they aim to disrupt the strikegroup and make them drop their load.. and they are trained to obey Ground Control so they are a bit inflexible in tactics

so based on the history of vietnam air warfare (that i read) , the biggest threat to US aircraft are AAA and SAM. Mig encounters relatively rare and some of US pilots even relish the chance to meet Migs in combat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Severs
England
Birmingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always randomise aircraft movement if there is more than one option!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Kiley
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, guys. Your fast responses are much appreciated.

From what I gather, there is no "official" ruling on this, and we all need to determine how to play this situation on our own.

I think I'll randomize also. That way, I'm not exploiting the Migs by just placing them where I want to. Nor am I developing a complex, pre-established movement scheme for the various situations that can arise - especially on the pre-approach sectors.

Anyways, awesome game!! I'm thinking about getting Hornet Leader too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I think the book gives an example for another movement phase, that if there are two targets equal distance, you just roll the die. 1-5 target 1 direction, 6-10 it goes towards target two. In your example, all the targets are the equal distance via three different routes. West, Center, and East. I would imagine that they would want you to do random as you're doing now. 1-3 West 4-6 Center 7-9 East 10 Roll again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.