Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Pruden
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
We tried out Scenario 9 last night and had a couple more questions come up:

1. Can guns benefit from foxholes? We assumed yes, since the rules state that "units" get the protection, but doesn't specify what type of units. Is this correct? Those Flak 36 88s are pretty big...

2. Speaking of foxholes, the Infantry Player Aid Card states that if a target is in woods AND foxholes it gets +2 from direct fire and +2 from mortars and artillery. The rules state that units in foxholes don't also get a benefit from the woods. Given that mortars and artillery fire is -1 for targets in woods hexes, wouldn't an artillery target in woods AND foxholes get +4 (foxholes vs. artillery) -1 (artillery in woods) for a total of +3?

3. Op fire is defined in the rules as able to respond only to moving units. It would be great to also be able to use op fire to respond to enemy units that reveal themselves by firing - i.e. "overwatch" fire. That would allow tanks to "hunt" - using 1/3 movement to watch and respond to enemy anti-tank fire as they advance. I would limit this to vehicles vs. anti-tank fire since such things REALLY tended to get their attention. Any thoughts?

Thanks again for the great support for this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
beresford dickens
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Rules say that terrain applies for fire against Guns, and Foxholes are terrain. The rules SHOULD say somewhere that Vehicles do not benefit from terrain (they just use their armor) despite being a "unit".

2. I've already raised this as a thing that needs clarifying. Use the Player Aid card, as it seems like the later version of terrain effects.

3. Suggested improvement, up to Jim to comment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Ahhh....my misspent youth...
mbmb
1. Yes, Beresford is right, the guns get the benefit. The foxholes represent prepared positions.

2. The player aid is correct. The presence of woods had a big impact on foxholes. Yes, they could have covers, but it still had a big impact. They still get +2 and that is what I judged to be right for the system.

3. This is a very interesting thought. I will playtest it. Good timing as I am in the midst of Ghost Panzer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Winters
Australia
Brisbane
QLD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
backwinder wrote:

3. Op fire is defined in the rules as able to respond only to moving units. It would be great to also be able to use op fire to respond to enemy units that reveal themselves by firing - i.e. "overwatch" fire. That would allow tanks to "hunt" - using 1/3 movement to watch and respond to enemy anti-tank fire as they advance. I would limit this to vehicles vs. anti-tank fire since such things REALLY tended to get their attention. Any thoughts?

This sounds like a good rule - my initial preference would be to not limit this to vehicles vs. anti-tank fire, though different proficiency roll modifiers might make sense for:
- Vehicles vs. anti-tank fire
- Vehicles vs. other
- Infantry vs. all
- Guns vs. all

Question: Could this 'overwatch fire' lead to a chain where a unit coducting OP Fire could trigger an enemy unit to conduct OP Fire, that would in turn trigger a friendly unit to conduct OP Fire? Thougts Jim?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.