Terry
United States
carlsbad
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
## EDIT: concern below has been resolved. Did not take into account that battles are resolved in a 1 v 1 manner, which vastly simplifies initiative order.

. . . . . . .

Having read the rules I'm pretty impressed by how streamlined everything is. The colony management and resource management stuff is brilliant.

An exception appears to be keeping track of initiative/combat order in large battles.

While it is simple to determine the initiative of any one ship, how do you manage things when you've got lots of players and ship types in a battle?

4 players with even 2 ship types each in a battle means keeping track of eight initiatives and the ordering thereof. What complicates it further is keeping track of the order of who arrived in the sector first. Also, there is a different initiative order for missile attack since only some ships will participate in that phase.

So I'm curious about what the best method for keeping track of initiative ordering in non trivial battle is. Do you use paper to write down the order at the start of the battle? How do you remember who of the 4 ships got to the sector first? Second? Third? Etc....

While the rules are very clear about how to set initiative order, I completely foresee confusion in combat where everyone is disputing and being confused about what the real initiative order should be, and which of the 5/8/11 ship types should be attacking next.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Jackson
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, to simplify things a bit it seems you might be misunderstanding multiple player combat (but maybe I misunderstood your question). Full combat to the death (or retreat) occurs between the two latest players to the hex first. So the other players do not even enter into this combat. Once the victor of that combat is reached, again thru elimination from the hex or complete retreat, the next latest player then engages in a full combat action against the victor. So you only ever have to keep track of two players' initiatives at once (although possibly multiple ships of course).

That being said, when there are several ship types between two players, we pull the ships off the tile at beginning of combat and line them in rows according to initiative order. We find this an easy way to keep track.

If you do have more than 3 people arriving in a hex and you want to record the order they arrived in case you might forget, paper might be a good way, or using spare initiative disks off the board or something similar. We haven't had something that crazy.... Yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry
United States
carlsbad
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Thanks Dave - totally didn't think about the simplification that occurs due to the series of 1 v 1 battles. That pretty much removes my concern.

It looks like the most complicated an initiative order would be is the unlikely? situation where both players have all 3 ship types in battle -- an ordering of 6 ships. Paper might help keep things straight in that case too.

Look forward to playing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Even if you forget the order of all the units, you can figure it out again as long as you know which units attacked last.

"My cruisers just attacked. What's next? Well my initiative is 2, so see if you have anything with 1"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.