Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric T
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like this game. It is definitely on the light side but I think this can be another great gateway game.

I am having friends come over tomorrow and would like to introduce this game to them. One of the people is a regular gamer and plays many of the advanced games. The other two (one being my wife) are more casual gamers. I introduced it to my wife and made the mistake of choosing a game board with paddock.

The rules explanation was slightly more complicated with that added but still fun and after a few turns she seemed to enjoy it.

Just curious what the groups experience has been teaching the game. I am tempted to just let lady luck determine the game components and explain the rules while we play.

I am curious what the general consensus is on the "easiest" starting boards and Kingdom Builder cards to use for a first game.

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
There's really no wrong way to use a margarita pool
badge
"What is best in Life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
mbmbmbmbmb
If I were going purely for simplicity I would use the following boards: harbor , oracle, barn, oasis, and the following kingdom cards: miners, fishermen, and workers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say Oracle, Farm, Oasis, and Tower (all settlements placed from the players' supplies) and Fishermen, Miners, and Citizens (although I don't think Workers are a bad choice either).

Citizens is especially good for new players, because new players tend to have stuff bunched up together anyway, given the adjacency rule. Fishermen and Miners are simple (but so is Workers).

That said, I think the setup above would be a slightly uninteresting game, and one of the main aspects of the game is the random setup, so I would be more for just letting lady luck decide the setup than forcing it one way or another.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric T
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the suggestions!

I combined both of your excellent suggestions and had a great game. It was enjoyed by all and we quickly went into a more random setup.

We used harbor , oracle, barn, and tower, and the following kingdom cards: miners, fishermen, and citizens.

Thanks again
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rogue Marechal
United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For what it is worth, here is my introduction game setup:

Kingdom cards: workers, miners, fishermen. Boring but focuses on a single aspect of play, namely build adjacent to board features.

Locations: farm, oasis, oracle, tavern. Again not particularly exciting but in my opinion it seems to be the best to compensate for the lack of fundamental kb skills of new players and allow them to expand on the board as rapidly as they can and get decent scores even on a first play.

Ultimately, I would stronly recommend not to use any kindom cards that reward clusters, such as citizens, as to me the last thing you want is new players to get comfortable building in a way that is atypical for the game overal (when considering most combinations of setups).

I think this setup also allows a second game that is gentle from there, should you feel the majority of the players are not ready for some of the more strategic game features. For example you could have a second game introducing discoverers, knights and merchants while retaining the prior locations (but shuffle the boards up preferably).

Personally I think it is worth keeping at least oasis and farm in all the games after those initial plays while you introduce 1 or 2 new locations to your players, just because the pictograms are easy to understand and will not bring up any 'what does this one do again?', allowing them to concentrate on the new abilities only.

Anyway, YMMV as they say! Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.