Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Kessel
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
This rule came up in our game. When exactly can you exchange ambassadors? One player read it that it can only happen on the instant when hexes connect, from page 11 the very first sentence under Diplomacy says "Players can form Diplomatic relations when their hexes connect." The reading of when as a timing mark, it happens at that moment. If you don't do it then, you lose your opportunity until another when event occurs.

Another player read "when" as a constraint, that you can form relations at any time it's your turn as long as the condition is true. The evidence being the later sentence on page 11 "Diplomatic relations can be formed at any time on your turn." Though that sentence is then followed by "when" conditions, so maybe that leads more support to the first interpretation.

I can see it being interpreted either way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's any time during your turn, but only if you have adjacent discs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Louis A
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmb
It probably needs to be clarified (by the designer & or play-testers)- the rules can be interpreted as & I was thought as it can only happen when you make contact.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Further down on the same page, it says:
Quote:
Diplomatic relations can be formed at any time on your turn. The connection may happen either by Explore or Influence actions, or at the end of the Combat Phase.

While the latter part suggests some specific timing, it is just describing when the connection may be made. If the diplomatic pact could only be established at that moment, the former part would not specify any time on your turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Hancock
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MasterDinadan wrote:
Further down on the same page, it says:
Quote:
Diplomatic relations can be formed at any time on your turn. The connection may happen either by Explore or Influence actions, or at the end of the Combat Phase.

While the latter part suggests some specific timing, it is just describing when the connection may be made. If the diplomatic pact could only be established at that moment, the former part would not specify any time on your turn.

I don't agree; why list specific timings if they are meaningless. If they are examples, then "For example, ..." isn't costly word-wise and adds tons of clarity. By way of example of why this stricter interpretation makes more sense to me than your more liberal one is this: These are moments of first contact or right after conflict, where diplomacy is at a premium, not just simply trade agreements.

I really think the designer needs to weigh-in here...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antti Autio
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
badge
Gina, Escher gang leader (Necromunda). Don't mess with her or she'll kick your ass.. actually, she's gonna do it anyway!
mbmbmbmbmb
Cameron is right.

The diplomatic relations don't need to be formed at the time of the first connection, although that is what often happens. Either one of the players in question may propose them at any time during any of their turns (or at the end of the combat phase when a connection is formed) as long as there is a connection.

The list is there just to remind players of the different times the empires may get connected (so that they would not mistakenly believe the diplomacy is only used in connection with the Influence action which precedes it in the rulebook).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sampo Sikiö
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
designer
it's no secret that the stars are falling from the sky / it's no secret that our world is in darkness tonight / they say the sun is sometimes eclipsed by a moon / you know i don't see you when she walks in the room
badge
Shapers of Dorado
mbmbmbmbmb
What Antti said.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.