Shane Furrow
United States
Grove City
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
Ok so I have a couple of questions that I dont quite understand and I read the rulebook thoroughly! Q1...How do you gain progress tokens other than just the couple cards that I found that says to add progress tokens on the card...IE...Legolas' card...Q2...Do you get to keep the Action and Event cards after you use them or do you only use them once and then put them into your discard pile after the round is over and do you buy the Action and Event card only when you need it or do you buy them when you buy the other cards in the planning phase!!!??? PLEASE HELP! Its driving me nuts cause I cant find the answers!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wrong place to ask these questions. But here goes:

1. If you commit characters to the quest, you reveal one card per player from the encounter deck and add it to the staging area. You then compare your combined Willpower to the combined Threat Strength of the cards in the staging area. If your Willpower is higher, you get the difference as progress markers.

2. Event cards go to your discard pile once their effect is done. Unless stated otherwise, you can play Event cards whenever you can take player actions. (In the back of the rulebook is an overview over the turn structure. Every step that is green allows you to execute player actions.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Furrow
United States
Grove City
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
yeah thats right you can get progress tokens that way also I forgot about that! lol...Is there any other way that you can get them other than that way also!? It just seems like everytime we play we hardly get any progress tokens at all!!!....also I have been using the turn structure at the back of the book but I just didnt understand on when you buy the event and action cards...so you are saying that you only have to buy and use them when you need them in the action phase!? I just want to make sure I am playing the game exactly like it is supposed to be! lol I cant stand playing a game unless I know exactly how it goes cause I dont want to be missing out on something or playing it wrong! LOL

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mabb Queen
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shanefurrow1979 wrote:
Ok so I have a couple of questions that I dont quite understand and I read the rulebook thoroughly! Q1...How do you gain progress tokens other than just the couple cards that I found that says to add progress tokens on the card...IE...Legolas' card...Q2...Do you get to keep the Action and Event cards after you use them or do you only use them once and then put them into your discard pile after the round is over and do you buy the Action and Event card only when you need it or do you buy them when you buy the other cards in the planning phase!!!??? PLEASE HELP! Its driving me nuts cause I cant find the answers!!!

Hi Shane,

I love FFG, but their rule books can be quite difficult to get through. First off, just realize you will probably need to play with the rulebook nearby for a bit so you can look things up. And realize that you will probably make some mistakes as you get used to the mechanics of the game. Its okay, you will grasp it all soon. Now to your questions...

Q1...this is through the "questing phase" of the game. You must commit heroes and/or allies to the quest BEFORE you turn over your card(s) from the encounter deck during the quest phase. Remember, when you do this the heroes have been exhausted for this turn and unless you can restore them, they cannot fight or defend etc) Say for example, you commit a hero and 2 allies to the quest with a total of 6 willpower to the quest. In the staging area you have a total of 3 threat showing, now you turn over your card from the encounter deck and then you add the new threat to the 3 already showing. The new card provides 1 threat so ... 1+3 = 4 threat. You have committed 6 willpower for questing so 6-4 = 2 you can now place 2 progress tokens on the current quest. Remember though, if there is a current LOCATION that you have travelled to the progress tokens are placed there until it is explored.
It is important to realize if you do not quest sucessfully ie there is more threat than willpower (in this example, say you had only committed 2 willpower so 2-4 = -2 you must add those points (in this case 2) to your threat tracker. So you do really want to quest sucessfully. If you are still confused read page 14-15 Phase 3: Quest including the pictured example at the top of page 15.

Q2...cards are generally "spent" ie you play them and they go to the discard pile. Allies and attatchments go into play, but actions and events, unless stated otherwise, happen immediately and as soon as they are resolved get thrown out. You can only play allies and attachments during the planning phase, other cards from your hand you can play during the other phases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing this particular game as it is meant to be is quite a challenge, as there are lots of corner cases that are still unclear. But that is a topic for a different discussion.

There aren't too many cards that can place progress tokens directly. Legolas, Blade of Gondolin, Snow-Bourne Scout, Guide through Lorien and Northern Tracker are the ones that come to mind. Mostly, you will put progress tokens via questing.

I'm not quite sure what you mean about "buying" cards. Do you mean "playing" them? Just to make sure we understand the same thing: Every player plays his own deck. At the start, the deck is shuffled and you draw 6 cards from it. Each turn, you draw an additional card. When you want to play a card, you spend the appropriate amount of resource tokens from your heroes. For Ally and Attachment cards, you can only play them during the Planning Phase. These cards stay in play until they are somehow removed (like an ally dying).
Event cards go to your discard pile after you play them. You may play them whenever you are in a "green" step in the overview at the back of the rulebook unless stated otherwise. For example, a "Combat Action" may only be played during the Combat Phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Furrow
United States
Grove City
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
ok...so it sounds like I have been playing the game as I am supposed to...and I definitely use the book everytime and I have been going over and over the turn overview in the back of the book during every round till I get it down pat...I guess I just thought I wasnt playing it right since I wasnt making any progress at all but I guess the game is just harder than I first thought! lol so I guess I just need to play more and more until I get the hang of it! lol I guess I just dont understand that if you commit alot of people to your quest I feel as though I will just get killed cause you will never be able to attack as all your heroes and allies have been used up during the questing and combat phases of defending! So how do you get to attack back when all of your guys are exhausted!? lol Either I am just planning wrong or Im an idiot! lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mabb Queen
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shanefurrow1979 wrote:
ok...so it sounds like I have been playing the game as I am supposed to...and I definitely use the book everytime and I have been going over and over the turn overview in the back of the book during every round till I get it down pat...I guess I just thought I wasnt playing it right since I wasnt making any progress at all but I guess the game is just harder than I first thought! lol so I guess I just need to play more and more until I get the hang of it! lol I guess I just dont understand that if you commit alot of people to your quest I feel as though I will just get killed cause you will never be able to attack as all your heroes and allies have been used up during the questing and combat phases of defending! So how do you get to attack back when all of your guys are exhausted!? lol Either I am just planning wrong or Im an idiot! lol

Shane,

the game is co-op and can be quite a challenge at times. What sphere(s) are you playing? I suggest trying a game with Spirit as one of the spheres if you are having a lot of questing issues. My husband and I play together and we find some sphere combinations work better than others depending on the quest scenario. Tactics, especially, gave us trouble until we were more used to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daffin
United Kingdom
Ledbury
Herefordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sarah3971 wrote:
thanks [REDACTED]
for publish [REDACTED]
such[REDACTED]
a great and colorful blog..[REDACTED]

i like it very much.[REDACTED]
.must say,very innovative [REDACTED]
ideas of your and [REDACTED]
its great implementation.[REDACTED]
..thank u agai[REDACTED]
n for publish [REDACTED]
it.

WTF?

Moderator note: Edited, please do NOT quote spammers, just use the Red X

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Tackett
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
Trantor42 wrote:
1. If you commit characters to the quest, you reveal one card per player from the encounter deck and add it to the staging area. You then compare your combined Willpower to the combined Threat Strength of the cards in the staging area. If your Willpower is higher, you get the difference as progress markers.

I'm pretty sure you add one card per player to the staging area, regardless of if anyone quested or not.

Also, this thread should be moved to the LOTR:LCG Rules subforum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
This one is very helpful if you can follow it: Public Exhibition: Tactics Starter Deck vs. Passage Through Mirkwood Scenario

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emile de Maat
Netherlands
Hengelo
Overijssel
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved Thread
Moved this thread from the General Gaming forum to the The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game Rules forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan McLelland
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
Don't touch me!!!
badge
Hi! How are you?!?
mbmbmbmbmb
If you do a search on youtube for the user watchitplayed they have a full game played out for you. Should help you answer most of the basic questions you have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Furrow
United States
Grove City
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
I have tried all the spheres...last time my buddy and I played it we finally won! lol...I still ran into a few things that didnt make sense to me but we worked through them as good as we could! I cant remember exactly what a couple of the complications we were having were but I think we still managed to play it the right way...also I did watch all those videos from watchitplayed and he does an EXCELLENT job!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.