Popular Tags: [View All]
Lewis Goldberg
United States
Bonnots Mill
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Boy the way Glenn Miller played // Songs that made the Hit Parade // Guys like us we had it made // Those were the days.
mbmbmbmbmb
Recently acquired the game and just played for the first time this evening. Took a wile to wrap our heads around the flow of the game, but once we got it we had a blast.

I have a couple of lingering questions:

1) It seems to me that there is never a good reason to have servants in your storehouse. Feels like the only reason two of them start the game there is to force players to spend the action to get them out. Is that correct?

2) The two circles on the docks intrigue me. If you always have to have two servants to control a dock, and there is no action in the game that could leave only one there, why have two circles? Why not a rectangle, and inside that a servant symbol with an "x2" next to it? The two circles make me think there are options, and I don't think there are.

Originally my oldest son theorized that maybe you could "use" a port with only one servant, and that if another player's servant took the other circle, you could both make use of the dock. Then it would be a race to see who could get the good to the ship first. The advantage to placing two would be "total" control - the advantage of placing one would be having more guys to put in the palace or elsewhere.

Of course, that introduces more problems than it solves

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Eisenstein
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Lewis!

Let's shortly answer your questions:

1: If you have the chance to remove the servants from your storehouse, it makes most sense in the first or 2nd round, But maybe you could spend your money for better things? So You could also win the game with let them be there the whole game.

2: No, it's never allowed to have only 1 servant in a dock (the picture on the back of the box made it wrong!).

Many greetings
Bernd

www.irongames.de
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Goldberg
United States
Bonnots Mill
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Boy the way Glenn Miller played // Songs that made the Hit Parade // Guys like us we had it made // Those were the days.
mbmbmbmbmb
Bernd,

Thanks for the speedy reply!

bloodeisen wrote:

1: If you have the chance to remove the servants from your storehouse, it makes most sense in the first or 2nd round, But maybe you could spend your money for better things? So You could also win the game with let them be there the whole game.

We found that having those servants in the storehouse is like having money in the bank you can't use. One of my boys spent all but one action of a decade just getting his 3 dollars, because all his servants were "busy" and he had no way of getting them out due to the action card placement. Bad planning on his part, yes, but we were just learning.

Again, the main point here is that I see no "advantage" to having the servants in the warehouse - they're not spared any plague, or avoid any taxation by being there. I don't know why you have two servants that start in the storehouse, other than to have two servants in the storehouse.

bloodeisen wrote:

2: No, it's never allowed to have only 1 servant in a dock (the picture on the back of the box made it wrong!).

I never saw that until you pointed it out! See - even the photographer thought it made sense I think the board says one thing visually, and the rules say something completely different - makes it take a bit longer for the truth to soak in. I scanned all the rules questions here on BGG and saw that no one else had this problem, so maybe we're just dense

All that said, we liked the game and it will hit the table for a replay soon

Thanks again!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.