Subject: Should Dark Souls Win Game of The Year 2011? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pete R.
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
The grace of Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It has my vote. And at least one editor's vote from GameSpot:

http://www.gamespot.com/features/personal-perspectives-the-t...

My mini-review for Dark Souls and the editor's review both highlight what about this game makes it a contender for Game of The Year. Dark Souls is a game that deserves to be in the conversation - but will it capture the biggest prize?

What do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devon Harmon
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be an easy choice for me. It was my most played, and most enjoyed game of 2011. No other game even comes close.

But I am not the final decider. This game was off of many radars, so I doubt it would win such an honor, even though it deserves it, IMHO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope, not a chance. There are FAR better games out there right now. Sorry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul - the
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings; Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
badge
You spin me right round, baby - Right round like a record, baby - Right round round round - You spin me right round, baby…
mbmbmbmbmb
wytefang wrote:

FAR better according to you perhaps, but please allow us our opinion.

Edit: And oh, what games are those if I might ask?

Edit 2: It should be noted that Dark Souls was awarded game of the year by Sweden biggest newspaper, not bad.

Link here: http://www.aftonbladet.se/nojesbladet/spela/article14119592....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Lundin
Sweden
Lund
-
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find it hard to pick ONE from games from all genres. It's like comparing the best album in Classical or art music with the best from Black Metal or Hip Hop. Not doable in my book.

How do you compare War in the East with Dark Souls for example. Totaly different bags.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Doomfarer wrote:
wytefang wrote:

Edit 2: It should be noted that Dark Souls was awarded game of the year by Sweden biggest newspaper, not bad.

A few thoughts:

1. Just because I shared MY opinion doesn't mean I wasn't allowing you to have yours. Don't mix up a strongly worded opinion with someone preventing you from having yours.

2. It wouldn't just be my opinion, though, that Dark Souls is far from being a top choice in GOTY awards. I'm fairly confident that most real, large gaming websites won't spend much effort considering it. That's great that a newspaper review (??) thinks it's a good game but it's hardly like Sweden's biggest newspaper is a known bastion for gaming reviews in the rest of the world.

3. Better choices? That's easy: Battlefield 3, Batman: Arkham City, Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (not according to me but many other people are buzzing about it), The Witcher 2, Skyrim, Deus Ex, Uncharted 3, need I go on?

4. In just RPGs alone I'd put Witcher 2, Skyrim, and Zelda's latest above it.

5. All that being said, I'm NOT saying that Dark Souls isn't a good or even very good game but it's too niche and still not quite good enough to be really considered for GOTY. I just can't see that, no offense intended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
c 5
United States
Baton Rouge
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't keep up with or care about awards, but Dark Souls is easily my favorite 2011 game. No contest.

Wait--Portal 2 was 2011, too, wasn't it? I guess I can't say no contest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul - the
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings; Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
badge
You spin me right round, baby - Right round like a record, baby - Right round round round - You spin me right round, baby…
mbmbmbmbmb
wytefang wrote:
Doomfarer wrote:
wytefang wrote:

A few thoughts:

1. Just because I shared MY opinion doesn't mean I wasn't allowing you to have yours. Don't mix up a strongly worded opinion with someone preventing you from having yours.

2. It wouldn't just be my opinion, though, that Dark Souls is far from being a top choice in GOTY awards. I'm fairly confident that most real, large gaming websites won't spend much effort considering it. That's great that a newspaper review (??) thinks it's a good game but it's hardly like Sweden's biggest newspaper is a known bastion for gaming reviews in the rest of the world.

3. Better choices? That's easy: Battlefield 3, Batman: Arkham City, Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (not according to me but many other people are buzzing about it), The Witcher 2, Skyrim, Deus Ex, Uncharted 3, need I go on?

4. In just RPGs alone I'd put Witcher 2, Skyrim, and Zelda's latest above it.

5. All that being said, I'm NOT saying that Dark Souls isn't a good or even very good game but it's too niche and still not quite good enough to be really considered for GOTY. I just can't see that, no offense intended.

Some comments on your comments.

2. Of course most gaming websites won't consider it (even if it should be the best). Simply too small to really matter. I realize this too. I wish the gaming sites had a bit more backbone but as it is the major publishers and the big games will always win (and be overrated as well). I think one reason that it got ranked number one by that newspaper is that they have no ties whatsoever to the gaming industry and doesn't have to please anyone.

3. This are still better choices according to others. You mention a game you don't even think is good yourself so how can it be more deserving of a GOTY award? Follow the herd if you must. For the record I have played all the games you listed apart from Zelda and would still rank Dark Souls #1. Not bad games any of them but not as good as Dark Souls in my book. The only game that comes close this year is Portal 2 (still according to me and not some random buzzers).

4. Now Zelda is a good game again? Make up your mind will you. I haven't played Zelda but I prefer Dark Souls to the other games you listed.

5. Totally agree.
This is what you should have written from the start.

Fun to see all those FAR better games being just a couple of games according to some random buzzers.

I'm not saying Dark Souls should win a GOTY just that for some of us it is the GOTY, award or not. Just dismissing it with a statement like that is a bit thoughtless and unnecessary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.