Britannia» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Solo game, it's been a long time rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
A Goldman
msg tools
mbmbmb
Solo Game

I recently got the old Gibsons Games Britannia out of a closet in the parents' home. Played two games.

The first one mostly reminded me of what the goals of the various nations were. I made a lot of mistakes. The first game was a close game between two teams, the Roman (purple) team winning with 100 points, closely followed by brown (Danish and Welsh) with 98.

The second one played out very differently from any game that I remember. The Romans started slowly, losing troops to the Belgae and others. The Brigantes eventually had to submit but negotiated agreement that they be allowed to increase population while under submission. This agreement may have won their team the game (team Orange in Gibson, perhaps another color in the version that you play).

The Irish focused their raids on the Welsh, attacking and retreating. The Brigantes stayed around Strathclyde, as they should. The Romans lost forts to the Jutes, Saxons, and Welsh. The Picts even got a northern fort.

The Belgae, Jutes, Dubliners, and Scots were eliminated in the mid-game. Team Orange's Norsemen strategically occupied scattered spots around the board, but eventually focused on the far North. The Caledonians were eventually eliminated. Team Orange's Irish sporadically occupied the Devon-Cornwall-Dyfed area, making the Welsh weaker than they are usually in games that I play. The Saxon major invasion was successful. The Angle invasion was not -- and much to my surprise the Saxons eliminated the Angles and Jutes and became king for several turns in a row. On Turns 15 and 16, the other factions teamed up on them, but by then it was too late. The Saxons alone had 65 points and their faction had 130. The Welsh team ended with 90, similar to my previous game.

What I like about this game, playing solo, is that I cannot predict moment to moment what will happen next (perhaps if I actually memorized the goals of all of the nations, I'd be less surprised ...). Always a fun and quick game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave boulton
United Kingdom
etchingham
E. Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
in my gibson version the welsh and danes are black

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.