Subject: 6 Player Variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan D
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
I am getting together with people this New Year's Eve (5 others) and am deciding to bring some 6 player games, but I REALLY am enjoying Discworld and want to bring it, so I started thinking about cramming in 6 players somehow. Here are my thoughts:

- 6 players. 3 teams of 2. With players sitting A1-B1-C1-A2-B2-C2

- Each team has the same goal, but they cannot discuss strategy (why would they want to anyway, what with secret goals and all)

- Take out the goal card that has to do with winning the game by the draw deck running out.

- The player who bought the building gets the property card, and only he/she can use it's ability.

Any other ideas? I think this is at least a way to cram 2 more people into the game in a way that doesn't break the game much, if at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fung
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds good, though it appears the power of the buildings has been diluted since they get used only every sixth turn instead of every third turn. You may want to clarify the victory condition, i.e. if at the start of any player's turn their victory condition is satisfied, then that team wins. You should also probably make a ruling whether Small Gods and interrupt cards can be used to save buildings/minions. Buildings are split between the players, and you could conceivably keep track of minions by having one person place them upright while the other person lays them flat, but I think you should just pool everything. Ditto, the cards that refer to "other player(s)," you should decide on what's allowed. Does Thieves' Guild steal $2 from your partner? Can Hubert force someone to give $3 to your partner? Etc. Also does Chrysoprase win if one player has $50 or both players together have $50? Does each player starts with $10, or do they share a pool of money?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan D
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
Yeah, it would dilute the buildings, but I think I would be ok with that.

Each player gets 3 cards instead of 5 maybe.

Adding a rule that you and your partner are considered a "team" and "other players" means "other teams" so you can't target your partner with card effects.

I think it might work out actually. I am going to try it. I will post how it went.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fung
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DanielGraig wrote:
Each player gets 3 cards instead of 5 maybe.

This could potentially be a problem. Firstly, it becomes harder to stop a team from winning if your selection of cards available is more limited. Similarly, with only 3 cards, it'll be harder to do what you want to do, e.g. Vetinari (and for the matter, the lords and Dragon) are dependent on placing minions, and their hand will soon run out of those cards.

Secondly, with a hand of only 3 cards, it's harder to setup combos. I generally try to avoid multi-turn plays in a game as chaotic as Ankh-Morpork, but early game you can guarantee placing a building by having Angua or Foul Ol' Ron (Drumknott and Rincewind also work well) plus another card with a building icon. That will be harder to setup with a 3-card hand. On a related note, it'll be easier for the hand to get clogged with reaction cards, Peeled Nuts, and other cards that are hard to shift. Playing with a cramped hand is no fun to someone trying a game for the first time.

Finally, a 3-card hand disrupts the balance of several of the cards. Dr. Whiteface and The Fools Guild would absolutely cripple someone's hand if played against them and they didn't have $5. Many of the cards that take or draw from another player's hand will have a bigger impact. The cards that allow you to discard X cards for coin will be less profitable, but you may want to hang onto them to flush cards clogging up your hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Ingeland
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Would the game become very unbalanced when you add more money and a 5th/6th color?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, did you ever give this a try?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Ingeland
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not yet...still too new at the place here to know enough gamers...my friends back home are too lazy to come and visit me.

Perhaps your question was an open one?
So anybody else having 6 player experiences?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
magneheeli wrote:
Not yet...still too new at the place here to know enough gamers...my friends back home are too lazy to come and visit me.

Perhaps your question was an open one?
So anybody else having 6 player experiences?

Definitely open to any one that has relevant experience, but in particular was wondering how things went with Dan since he proposed it in the first place and said he was hoping to try it out New Year's Eve… 13 months ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Ingeland
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ooops...didn't scroll up...sorry!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Máté Kovács
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mb
Soo, have you tried it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nomadic Gamer
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played 6 players with 2 extra goals & simply added cards from the discard deck. I thought it worked fine (sudden death occurred) but others thought the downtime excessive. I thought that was partly due to the crappy crowded smallish dull map! I am up for more & would make a larger map. Try it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.