Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Got it for a xmas pressie, going through the rules today, played a few solo games to get them down. Here's what I found vs the mob:

Don't bother adventuring. Wait for the mob to find the high cost artifacts for you. Then go raid their base. With no allies or gear and rolling 8 dice you're likely to meet maybe 1 or 2 mobsters, possibly none. If you fail go back when you can, otherwise you can sell their high cost artifacts or nick all their fortune and bag an easy win. I just did this 3 times in a row. Seems a bit cheap. Any loopholes in doing this?

Apart from this, loving the game so far and can't wait to try it out with more players...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon T
Australia
Peakhurst
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also just got this game for xmas, and after my first few solo plays I was going to make a post just like yours. In two games against the Mob, I was able to collect 1 Artifact for myself, then raid a Hideout for an Artifact with a high Fortune value. Both times this was enough for me to collect the 15 Fortune for the win.

My first raid of a Hideout, I got spotted with 2 dice, and the other I managed to not get spotted at all.

I imagine that in future games there will be times where, I will get spotted with 3 or 4 dice, and I think having to survive/escape multiple fights like these will prove much more challenging, especially with low wound Heroes.

I think if I find this strategy vs the Mob too dominatingly easy, then I may try altering my Hero's win condition to 20 Fortune. (Or maybe try 15 Fortune AND be in the Hero's Starting City in the End Phase)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daffin
United Kingdom
Ledbury
Herefordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjadorg wrote:
Got it for a xmas pressie,

Hi Ninjadorg. Seasons greetings. FanG is also one of my Xmas presents. Unfortunately my copy is still sitting under the Christmas tree, unopened, due to an excited 7 year old and visiting relatives (visiting them and them visiting us). I think tonight will be 'opening' night though.

Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph LaClair
United States
Watertown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yup, the same with the nazis. Stay away from the high priced artifacts, let the nazis get them. Go for the low valued artifacts and raid the secret nazi bases and zepplin for the high priced stuff and lower their victory point track to boot. Nazi bases should be like deep jungles, you should have to search for them, they're secret after all.

It's not a guaranteed win but its a lot easier than going toe to toe with the nazis during an adventure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Dimmic
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jphien wrote:
Go for the low valued artifacts and raid the secret nazi bases and zepplin for the high priced stuff and lower their victory point track to boot.
By my understanding of the rules, when raiding bases you can either steal an artifact OR decrease the the villain victory point track.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mdimmic wrote:
By my understanding of the rules, when raiding bases you can either steal an artifact OR decrease the the villain victory point track.

Steal one Artifact OR steal all the Villains' Fortune and set back their score.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trystan
Sweden
Hässleholm
Skåne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the few games we've had (if we've been playing it right) the bad guys tend to go for the temples so don't have any artefacts to steal and at most have 2 fortune (since they discard fortune and move on the evil track when they hit 3). Raiding bases is certainly a good thing to do but if you happen to have 2 temples on the map then chances are fair all you'll be doing is stall them by raiding, rather than be taking the artefacts you need to win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
trystanosaurus wrote:
In the few games we've had (if we've been playing it right) the bad guys tend to go for the temples so don't have any artefacts to steal and at most have 2 fortune (since they discard fortune and move on the evil track when they hit 3). Raiding bases is certainly a good thing to do but if you happen to have 2 temples on the map then chances are fair all you'll be doing is stall them by raiding, rather than be taking the artefacts you need to win.

The villains raid and/or collapse those temples pretty quickly and move onto the other artifacts. Since you only need 2 or 3 artifacts to bag 15 fortune you're not just stalling them, you're beasting the poor villains. I've already house ruled raiding hideouts from solo games now because you'll genuinely struggle to lose. Same goes for the nazis as it happens.

Still a fun game though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Umstattd
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
All Hail Lelouch
mbmbmbmb
Attacking the zeppelin seems like a difficult strategy with the +2 dice and innability to use guns. Also the zepaline often is in the same space as a soldier due to its move and drop system. Thus I almost always find it more useful to attack a nazie base than the zepaline.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
a a
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played and won my first game this way. I was losing, but after a desperate assault to bring down the Nazi victory point total I realized that it was a much better idea to steal their artifacts!

Right now it looks like you should stay away from those dangerous adventures and just mug the Nazis and sell the artifacts they risked their lives for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerrin 2
United States
Canandaigua
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
madquest8 wrote:
bring down the Nazi victory point total

Does stealing an artifact from the vile organization reduce their total on the victory point track? I may have missed this rule somewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.