No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i recently read the news about Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game expansion at this site ( http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=2917 ) and i was astounded to see Cthulhu on the Tyranid Card.. this means FFG can and will mix up or modify their license to Warhammer and Lovecraft and combine them into their games ?

The rest of the cards is not visible yet.. but i wonder if there is more of the lovecraftian tyranid on the cards..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Port Saint Lucie
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The creature you're referring to as Cthulhu is probably the Tyranid known as a "Lictor"

A google image search will show you that the lictors have a squid like face - used mostly to suck out brain info in tasty humanoids to help hive fleets direct themselves to their next location! They are also the scouts of the Tyranid armies and deploy way ahead of the other other Tyranids - Genestealers being the only odd exception to this rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tegre wrote:
The creature you're referring to as Cthulhu is probably the Tyranid known as a "Lictor"

A google image search will show you that the lictors have a squid like face - used mostly to suck out brain info in tasty humanoids to help hive fleets direct themselves to their next location! They are also the scouts of the Tyranid armies and deploy way ahead of the other other Tyranids - Genestealers being the only odd exception to this rule.

i thought lictors are supposed to be thin and spindly type of tyranid that act as scout or forward obsrver, usually hidden and attack in ambush. the drawing seems a bit muscular.. though i wouldnt b suprised if Cthulhu turned to be the hidden God of tyranid that will lead the final tynarid assault to terra
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Dearborn Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Fizzgig need food badly!
badge
Click on Fizzgig to feed him a tasty snack. Nom, Nom, Nom!
mbmbmbmbmb
"Tentacle Face" is a popular look these days. Just ask my Mother-In-Law.*

* Actually my mother-in-law is a wonderful person and I consider myself lucky to have her as such.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Given a choice between, "tentacle-faced monsters are cool" and "FFG is stealing from one of their licensed properties for another" I'm going to have to go with "tentacle-faced monsters are cool" as the correct answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ohbalto wrote:
Given a choice between, "tentacle-faced monsters are cool" and "FFG is stealing from one of their licensed properties for another" I'm going to have to go with "tentacle-faced monsters are cool" as the correct answer.

yea sorry if the wording of my original post sounds like i accused FFG of doing mix up on their license.. though i love to see lovecraftian Great Old Ones rise up for dominance and fight the Chaos gods and the Tyranids.. the battlegrounds of titans and all other race is just spectator... what a great ending scenario of Warhammer 40K where everybody fights everybody and leman russ come back =D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
One Armed Bandit
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Squid-faced monsters are quite common.
D&D has Mind Flayers, for instance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I must be alone in that I have zero attraction to Lovecraftian content
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
anthony dawson
United Kingdom
swindon
wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
{old fogey}

Without any intent to bash GW their early I.P. seemed to follow the trends in geekdom in the late 80's early 90's. I grew up in Nottingham home of GW and as Aliens was popular GW released space hulk- marines vs gribblies trapped on a spaceship and the early Tyranids were all parasitical preying on humans (genestealers).

As battletech was popular GW released a game about giant stompy robots (although theirs were much larger and were called titans). As carwars was popular GW released Dark future and also battlecars.

Remember- what is now GW canon was originally an organic set of disparate products/stories with no overall plot or story thread. Some were discarded (Squats anyone?) and others altered/improved/standardised (Chaos). 40K itself was initally simply fantasy in space- hence space dwarves/orks/elves and presented as a skirmish game.

No implications of plagiarism intended im merely pointing out that as a genre became popular GW at that time realised it needed to be in that market. The Tentacles are a feature of 40k in the Tyranid codex- i cant recall what biological adaptation they represent.\

FFG seem to be true to the 40k universe and their style of art may imply Cthulhu in the geek consciousness.

{/old fogey}
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Space Hulk theme , didnt GW copied the them from ALIEN / ALIENs movie ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
DO NOT CLICK HERE!
mbmbmbmbmb
That Sir, is no Cthulhu. Not even close. goo goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
simpledamon wrote:
That Sir, is no Cthulhu. Not even close. goo goo

it looked like cthulhu attacking the hapless sailors from Call of Cthulthu book

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Meadows
United States
Independence
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Big fan of FFG, 40k, and Cthulhu, and my current favorite army is Tyranids. That picture is a Lictor.

However as it has been stated GW used to just rip off the flavor of the month (E.G. Necrons: Robotic like warriors that use a rule called "We'll be back."). It's hard to say what inspired lictors however it isn't a mixup of licenses.

Fun likeness anyways. Also, How do you like the Space Hulk card game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DemoRic wrote:
Big fan of FFG, 40k, and Cthulhu, and my current favorite army is Tyranids. That picture is a Lictor.

However as it has been stated GW used to just rip off the flavor of the month (E.G. Necrons: Robotic like warriors that use a rule called "We'll be back."). It's hard to say what inspired lictors however it isn't a mixup of licenses.

Fun likeness anyways. Also, How do you like the Space Hulk card game?

its a good 'small' game , pocketable and fun solo and 2 ppl (chaos at more imho).. though i prefer the original spacehulk boardgame compared to the cardgame.. (no overwatch ugh)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.