Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

Dominion» Forums » Rules

Subject: Is a reaction/treasure only card also an action for purposes of tribute etc.? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
No, it isn't. Why would it be?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DC
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
It's only an action if it actually says Action at the bottom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Wright City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
A Reaction/Treasure, such as Fool's Gold from Hinterlands, is considered a Treasure and not an Action for purposes such as Tribute. You cannot gain Fool's Gold with a University. You cannot count Fool's Gold for Vineyards. etc.

A Reaction is not an Action unless it says "Action" on the bottom of the card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks DC and Mark.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
gf1024 wrote:
The confusion may come from someone explaining the game as choosing 10 action cards as random before the game begins, whereas what he actually means is 10 kingdom cards. FG is still a kingdom card (not a basic card like Copper) but not an action card. The vast majority of the kingdom cards is action, that's why many excplain it that way.

Yeah, somehow got it into my head that reaction was a subset of action. Probably because I hadn't considered the issue in ages (haven't played much Dominion lately) and a quick scan of the relevant rulebooks wasn't able to provide direct insight into this. Thanks for the quick answers, makes sense now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
dcclark wrote:
It's only an action if it actually says Action at the bottom.

It does. Just has 're' in front of it, that's all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennison Milenkaya
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely. Just the word itself implies that it is an action. Certainly, when you react with it, you are acting. However, "Action" is also a game term and all Action cards are clearly identified on their bottom-center.

Time was, all cards were also color-coded so you could easily recognize a card's type by its color but now that blues are no longer Actions with Reactions on them, it may be just co-incidence that oranges are all Actions, as well as Durations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DC
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
FlatOnHisFace wrote:
Absolutely. Just the word itself implies that it is an action. Certainly, when you react with it, you are acting. However, "Action" is also a game term and all Action cards are clearly identified on their bottom-center.

Time was, all cards were also color-coded so you could easily recognize a card's type by its color but now that blues are no longer Actions with Reactions on them, it may be just co-incidence that oranges are all Actions, as well as Durations.

Actually, there is no inconsistency. If you look at a duration (orange) card, it will say something like "Action - Duration" at the bottom. That is, it's both an Action card, and a Duration card. Similarly, a Moat says "Action - Reaction" -- it's both an action and a duration. However, Tunnel only says "Victory - Reaction" at the bottom. It is both a victory card and a reaction card, but not an action card.

There could very well be cards which are, say, Treasure-Reaction, or Duration-Treasure (imagine a treasure which stays out for future turns), etc.

The color coding is just a hint about a card's primary role -- orange if it's a duration, green if victory, blue for reaction, etc. Most dual-type cards have two colors at the bottom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Wright City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
dcclark wrote:
There could very well be cards which are, say, Treasure-Reaction,

Like Fool's Gold which I believe is the card that initiated this thread?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Myke Madsen
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dcclark wrote:

Actually, there is no inconsistency. If you look at a duration (orange) card, it will say something like "Action - Duration" at the bottom. That is, it's both an Action card, and a Duration card. Similarly, a Moat says "Action - Reaction" -- it's both an action and a duration. However, Tunnel only says "Victory - Reaction" at the bottom. It is both a victory card and a reaction card, but not an action card

Actually there IS an inconsistency. Some multiple-type cards are multiple colors and some aren't. You can make an argument that Action-Reaction cards should be White/Blue and Action-Duration cards should be White/Orange. Since we've yet to see a Duration card that's not also an Action card, that one makes sense to me.

I believe Donald discussed this in another thread recently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the system isn't exactly consistent, but it works. Blue means, "Hey, remember that I'm in your hand because you can use me to react to events during other people's turn!" Orange means, "Don't discard me from play unless I'm done doing stuff." Yellow means, "Play me during your Buy phase, not your Action phase."

Green and Purple mean, "Count me at the end of the game." But because of that, people probably tend to pass over them when looking at their hand most of the time. So the Action-Victory cards are Green and White to remind you that you can play them as well.

That's my best theory, anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
LastFootnote wrote:
Blue means, "Hey, remember that I'm in your hand because you can use me to react to events during other people's turn!" Orange means, "Don't discard me from play unless I'm done doing stuff." Yellow means, "Play me during your Buy phase, not your Action phase." Green and Purple mean, "Count me at the end of the game."

You've not played against my wife, have you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the following rules will correctly assign all the colors of the currently released cards.

Color - Type - Meaning
Blue - Reaction - Does something out of turn.
Green - Victory - Does nothing during the game unless it has another color.
Orange - Duration - Stays in the play area past end of turn.
Purple - Curse - Does nothing during the game.
Yellow - Treasure - Playable during the Buy Phase.

Except as listed above, no types have colors associated with them. Every card has at least one color. Assign a card all the colors it qualifies for above. Then if a card still needs a color, make that color White.

Edge cases:
Followers: It has three types (Action, Attack, Prize), none of which give it a color. Therefore, its color is White.

Nobles: It is a Victory card, so one of its colors is Green. It does something during the game, so it needs another color. Its only other type is Action, which doesn't give it a color, so its second color is White.

Note: There is only one card with type Curse, and Curse is that card's only type, so the question of whether Curse should include in its meaning, "unless it has another color," is moot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DC
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Beaveman wrote:
dcclark wrote:
There could very well be cards which are, say, Treasure-Reaction,

Like Fool's Gold which I believe is the card that initiated this thread?

*ahem*

D'OH!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennison Milenkaya
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffwolfe wrote:

Color - Type - Meaning
Blue - Reaction - Does something out of turn.
Green - Victory - Does nothing during the game unless it has another color.
Orange - Duration - Stays in the play area past end of turn.
Purple - Curse - Does nothing during the game.
Yellow - Treasure - Playable during the Buy Phase.

Nobles: It is a Victory card, so one of its colors is Green. It does something during the game, so it needs another color. Its only other type is Action, which doesn't give it a color, so its second color is White.

So to agree with my above post: If Nobles is half a Victory card and therefore half green, but also half an Action card, which is nothing and left half white...

Then Moat, which is half a Reaction should be blue and also and also an Action and should be half white.

Thanks for clearing it up, Jeff. I was only trying to relate it to the original point of the thread but completeness is usually the better way to err when dealing with forums. =)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.