Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Heart full of soul, head full of shit
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
Santa delivered a small Nerf arsenal to me this year. It was the hit.

Modern Nerf guns are divided into two classes: Vortex and N-Strike. Vortex weapons use a plastic disc ensconced in the finest Nerf, and measure approximately 1.5 inches in diameter. N-Strike guns fire a rubber-tipped Nerf dart measuring about 3 inches.

From personal experience, I can review:

Vortex Praxis
This pump action rife has a capacity of 11 Vortex discs (10 in the detachable magazine, one in the chamber). It has a detachable stock. It is impressively accurate and according to a guy on the Internet has a range of 60 feet. I suspect that is correct. Highly recommended.

N-Strike Jolt
This single shot handgun is cocked via a plunger at the bottom of the grip. It's surprisingly powerful, but tends to shoot wild. It's dirt cheap, and thus highly recommended.

Vortex Vigilon
This somewhat bulky handgun can hold 6 discs (five in the internal magazine, and one in the chamber). It is cocked by a slide on the rear. It is not as powerful or accurate as the Praxis, but it's still very respectable. Recommended.

N-Strike Barricade RV-10
This semiautomatic revolver (if that makes sense) is the only one that is powered by batteries. It holds 10 darts. It's fairly noisy. It's the weakest of the four weapons here, but fairly accurate. Meh.

FAQ
What are the differences between the darts and the discs?
The darts make a neat whistling noise. The discs travel farther, and tend to drift laterally with extreme range. It doesn't feel like one generates more force than the other.

Do these weapons jam? Despite the three multishot weapons having detailed procedures to clear jams (causing my 4 y.o. to mutter "impressive verisimilitude" under her breath), this has not been a problem.

What is the absolutely youngest age of child that can be shot with one of these? Empirical evidence tells us that a 2.3 y.o. child can tolerate being shot with one of these Nerf guns, and in fact will request being used as a target. So I'd say that's the absolutely youngest advisable age, and anything below that is just irresponsible. Note that this data is not corrected for a myriad of confounding variables, such as the degree of Stockholm Syndrome.

Will my cats be happy that I have Nerf weaponry? No.

I am interested in suing the Nerf Corporation, preferably under the guise of consumer protection. Any tips? If these guns are cocked when the trigger is depressed, they will either fire immediately or will fire when the trigger is released.

What percentage of projectiles will vaporise into the æther, despite being under direct visualization throughout their trajectory, only to reappear five months later in the soup of an stuffy woman during a fancy dinner party, the shocked silence being broken only by the sound of a monocle poinking off an old man's face? 4%

Have you yet been shot in the eye? Yep.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
God messed up and here I am!
badge
It is my firm belief that little puppy dogs named Mr. Poopytime will bring our country together!
mbmbmb
These are the guns I used to pretend were the Nerf guns I had as a child. With these, I can step up my imagination to pretending they're real guns! Which is good, since now that I'm an "adult" I earned my license to imagine more potent and dangerous things, but have used it very little in such regards.

(by the way, have I complimented you on your Frank avatar? I should have.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Shepherd
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Be on your guard. There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.
mb

My son and I had been enjoying these for years. When I remarried a couple of years ago, I was surprised to see how quickly my (then) six year old step-daughter (hereafter refered to as daughter) took to them.

Worth noting: over the two or three years of furious battles with my son, and after having both become so jaded after a while that we only counted head-shots, niether of us had ever been shot in the eye. Just prior to iniatiating my new wife and daughter, I assured them both that nobody would be shot in the eye. Within the first two minutes my daughter shot me in the eye. Within the next five or ten minutes she got one in the eye. To her credit, she soldiered on, but we now wear saftey glasses when warring.

Nerf guns may be the best toy on the market.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
...but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind,
badge
...and reaching forth unto those things which are before,...
mbmbmbmb
Next person to ask me what I look for in a woman will be shown this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Blankenship
United States
Owens Cross Roads
AL
flag msg tools
designer
badge
That's a moray!
mbmbmbmbmb
JoshBot wrote:

Vortex Vigilon
This somewhat bulky handgun can hold 6 discs (five in the internal magazine, and one in the chamber). It is cocked by a slide on the rear. It is not as powerful or accurate as the Praxis, but it's still very respectable. Recommended.

Is it just a coincidence that that looks like the outline of the USA (excluding Alaska and Hawaii)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hamzy
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
Ace race, baby!
badge
I, for one, welcome your mouse pointer.
mbmbmbmbmb
snoweel wrote:
JoshBot wrote:

Vortex Vigilon

Is it just a coincidence that that looks like the outline of the USA (excluding Alaska and Hawaii)?

Hey, now! Texas is not that overweight! devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tickmanfan wrote:
Next person to ask me what I look for in a woman will be shown this.

What, you're looking for a woman who can't spell "you're"?

If it would have been me (and I wish I'd thought of that!), I'd have popped him in the head about the time he got to the word "now".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Meeks
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own this one:

The Nerf Stampede! I use it to play with the cats and scare them when they do bad things. It is battery operated and has two 18 and one 6 round clips and shoots pretty ar and has a good cyclic rate. It empties a clip fairly quickly. They dont hurt the cats when the darts hit them but it gets their attention and them they will grab a dart and run off to chew it up.

Here is a video of it from ThinkGeek:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
除名山 蔵芽戸
Japan
Sendai
Miyagi
flag msg tools
badge
I just thought of a new place to mount my gopro.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the Praxis and Vigilon. The Vigilon jams about one in every 7 shots, but I have clearing that sucker down to a science. No problems with the Praxis, and I love the removable stock to make it look like a sawed off shotgun.

But man, those little green discs are hard to find when you don't see them ricochet.

Try firing them at angles. A 45-degree angle will make it shoot farther, although you lose accuracy in the process. Shooting it completely sideways gives you half the range, but the disc flies much faster and stings a little more.

Unrelated: there's no point in battery-powered Nerf guns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Rethorn
United States
Perrysburg
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I also got the Praxis and Vigilon for Christmas. They're a lot of fun, but I've already misplaced half of the discs somewhere in my parents' backyard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
they rules and no matter how hard I try, i can not get the riddlenettes to like em cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.