Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Maxime Yazz
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys. I just read the rulebook and played a few games of this fun little game, and I had one tiny question. When obtaining a role card, does that card's Icon count toward it action? As an exemple, can I get an additional ship using the warship role from the card I have just obtained using selecting that role?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: -Silly role question-
Yes

You choose a role and you get something for each symbol you play - the symbol on the card you receive counts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Contig
United States
flag msg tools
(this is not a hint)
badge
(this is still the old picture and I am too lazy to update it)
mbmbmbmbmb
This means you always get at least one symbol during the role phase.

Note that symbols from any cards played as actions do not count towards the role phase. For example, if you use Improved Warfare as an action to get two fighters and then call Warfare as your role, you can use the warfare symbol on the card you just got but not the symbol from Improved Warfare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Miller
United States
Stigler
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. This is also the purpose of the Leader Bonuses on P/T and Research when their respective stacks are empty...to emulate the extra symbol you would normally get if there were more cards left.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maxime Yazz
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent thank you all I was playing it wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Loftus
United States
Henrietta
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! I've been doing this wrong, back to the rulebook!

contiguity wrote:
This means you always get at least one symbol during the role phase.

Note that symbols from any cards played as actions do not count towards the role phase. For example, if you use Improved Warfare as an action to get two fighters and then call Warfare as your role, you can use the warfare symbol on the card you just got but not the symbol from Improved Warfare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emile de Maat
Netherlands
Hengelo
Overijssel
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved Thread
Moved this thread from the Eminent Domain General forum to the Eminent Domain Rules forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tamara Geek in Indy
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
So - this came up in a recent play and I have gotten two different answers without finding a definitive answer in the rules. When playing with an empty role card stack - let's say Colonize. If you choose to do the colonize action - do you still get that "extra" colonize action even though there isn't a card to show for it? Also, if you don't have a colonize in your hand and the stack is empty, can you colonize (let's say you are settling) by just using the non-existent extra role card that you would have drawn if the stack weren't empty?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
taminindy wrote:
So - this came up in a recent play and I have gotten two different answers without finding a definitive answer in the rules. When playing with an empty role card stack - let's say Colonize. If you choose to do the colonize action - do you still get that "extra" colonize action even though there isn't a card to show for it? Also, if you don't have a colonize in your hand and the stack is empty, can you colonize (let's say you are settling) by just using the non-existent extra role card that you would have drawn if the stack weren't empty?

(edit: I think you are asking two separate questions... if they are actually the same question, then ignore the first answer - the second answer is correct)
No, you only get icons from cards in front of you. The Colonize role does not have a leader bonus of +1 symbol (regardless of whether or not the stack is empty).
Yes, you can use the leader bonus to Settle a planet, even if you choose the role and have no cards to play.

Note that Research and Produce/Trade have a leader bonus of +1 symbol when the stack is empty - this simulates the card that isn't there.

Also, you probably already know this, but Colonize symbols on cards in play work differently from other symbols. They do not boost the role normally, but simply count as -1 Colony cost to Settle, whether you do it as a role with leader bonus or as an action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
taminindy wrote:

Chris was correct on all counts.

When the Colonize stack is empty, you do not get an extra Colonize symbol when choosing that role - it wouldn't make sense (there's no card to tuck under a planet).

However, when choosing Colonize with an empty stack, you may still boost with any Colonize symbols in hand, thereby placing cards from your hand under planets in your empire.

You may also call Colonize as your role when the stack is empty and choose to use the Leader bonus to Settle a planet if you like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.