Popular Tags: [View All]
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.coolstuffinc.com/main_searchResults.php?form_sear...

Along with that, their "last minute game sales" list is still up also. Bring up "All Sales" to see all the board game stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Ralya
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Engine Publishing (enginepublishing.com)
badge
The Forgotten Bananas
mbmbmbmbmb
A few highlights that jumped out at me:

A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition) $33
Blood Bowl: Team Manager – The Card Game $18
Ninja: Legend of the Scorpion Clan $25
Rattus $20

This is a nice sale with some good titles up for grabs. Good find!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United States
Christiansburg
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Play more Inis
mbmbmbmbmb
Civilization is a steal at 30. Theres a lot in that box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neverfade wrote:

My wife almost drooled when she saw the box at Barnes and Noble last week BUT being that she's brand new to gaming, I was thinking that it might be much better to just introduce her to Civ on the computer to save all of the set up and instruction the board game would involve.

For a strictly two player game involving one player with little board gaming experience, is there any reason I should reconsider my instinct with this one?

Just seems like letting the computer do all the calculations plus the animations, music, etc might make it a much more attractive introduction to hardcore turn based strategy gaming. (she's already hooked on Virtual City which is basically SimCity light for the iPhone, which is what piqued her interest in a Civilization building game)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United States
Christiansburg
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Play more Inis
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say just go for the boardgame. It captures the feel of the computer game very well, but it's not a direct recreation. If your girlfriend plays games regularly with you anyway, then I think she'll take to it fairly easy. There's a good amount of rules, but its not a terribly difficult game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well that's encouraging.

I do have to ask though, apart from bringing it "to the table", does the board game offer anything special which we wouldn't get from playing Civ V or Civ Revolution together? (without all the set up and self managed mechanics)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Schroth
United States
Middletown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
NuMystic wrote:
Neverfade wrote:

My wife almost drooled when she saw the box at Barnes and Noble last week BUT being that she's brand new to gaming, I was thinking that it might be much better to just introduce her to Civ on the computer to save all of the set up and instruction the board game would involve.

For a strictly two player game involving one player with little board gaming experience, is there any reason I should reconsider my instinct with this one?

Just seems like letting the computer do all the calculations plus the animations, music, etc might make it a much more attractive introduction to hardcore turn based strategy gaming. (she's already hooked on Virtual City which is basically SimCity light for the iPhone, which is what piqued her interest in a Civilization building game)

Well, the game is horribly broken and rather than having the 4 interesting paths to victory it advertises, there is only one: The "economic victory". A player fumbling along going for coins will easily win the game before a culture or technology player could even theoretically win if everything went perfectly for them.

It's a shame, because the game is an interesting idea. It's just too bad that it was apparently playtested approximately zero times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Carrick
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BagelManB wrote:

Well, the game is horribly broken and rather than having the 4 interesting paths to victory it advertises, there is only one: The "economic victory". A player fumbling along going for coins will easily win the game before a culture or technology player could even theoretically win if everything went perfectly for them.

It's a shame, because the game is an interesting idea. It's just too bad that it was apparently playtested approximately zero times.

I have played the game 7 or 8 times and I have NEVER seen a victory like that. My guess is you either played wrong, or your opponent did.

Easiest way to win depends on the culture you get, but military has a slight advantage if they continue to hammer the other non-militaristic civs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
For the wargamers:

$21.99 Karelia '44
$81.99 Guderian's Blitzkrieg II (14 copies when I checked).
$59.99 Axis Empires: Dai Senso!
$59.99 Axis Empires: Totaler Krieg!
$34.99 No Peace Without Spain!
$75.99 Proud Monster Deluxe
$ 9.99 Emperor's Fleet: Command at Sea Volume IX
$19.99 Memoir '44: Campaign Book Volume 2 (and lover's of plastic soldiers)

Some great deals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tycho Terziev
Bulgaria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
figarojones wrote:

I have played the game 7 or 8 times and I have NEVER seen a victory like that. My guess is you either played wrong, or your opponent did.

Play more

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mayer
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Freelunchpirate wrote:
figarojones wrote:

Play more

Agreed. If you start with a gold on your tile, game end in 15 rounds or less generally. Just harvest gold each round, build your second city for defense and it's hard to take at down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Merchant
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also mentioned here, with additional lists of sale games:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/741646/coolstuff-inc-last-mi...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Orr
United States
Southlake
Texas
flag msg tools
I hunger!!!
badge
Galactus wants to know if you have been Naughty or Nice
mbmbmbmbmb
bmayer wrote:
Freelunchpirate wrote:
figarojones wrote:

Play more

Agreed. If you start with a gold on your tile, game end in 15 rounds or less generally. Just harvest gold each round, build your second city for defense and it's hard to take at down.

... other than the rule that coins cannot be harvested
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United States
Lebanon
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
Penny Press Kickstarter: 1,284 backers - $60,376! Amazing! Thank you!!!
badge
Play Penny Press!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've now played over ten games of civilization with experienced board gamers. The game is not broken, and while a economic victory is very doable, i have seen military and tech victories quite a bit as well. Not so many culture track victories, though. Civ is a great game, a blast to play, and I've heard it makes a great two player too. It is also surprisingly easy to play, so if you are on the fence and your wife is drooling over it, get it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Might someone also address this question from earlier?

NuMystic wrote:
apart from bringing it "to the table", does the board game offer anything special which we wouldn't get from playing Civ V or Civ Revolution together? (without all the set up and self managed mechanics)

Given that Civ V on the computer is regularly available for $10 or less, I'd need to hear at least one compelling reason to invest 3x more and sacrifice storage space for a boxed vs digital version of the Civilization experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
CSI just posted their End of Year blowout list

they actually posted it at least an hour earlier based on the date of the earlier post on BGG at

"Year End Board Game Blow Out" sale at CoolStuffInc.com (was "last minute board game sale")

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mayer
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
molitor4 wrote:
bmayer wrote:
Freelunchpirate wrote:
figarojones wrote:

Play more

... other than the rule that coins cannot be harvested

WhaWhaWhat? I just double checked the rules in case I have been playing wrong. There is nothing that says you can not harvest a coin.

Edit: oooooooohhhhh been playing this wrong. It counts as a coin like when you have a tech with a coin on it. Wow, now I am looking forward to playing this again
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Schroth
United States
Middletown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
bmayer wrote:
Freelunchpirate wrote:
figarojones wrote:

Play more

You can't harvest gold. Jesus, if you could do that you could win this game twice as fast! No, you can win in 10 turns easily even without that. There are many techs that easily build up coins (Code of Laws, Printing Press, etc). You build up your coins on them, and then get banks built on the final turn.

It takes about 10-11 turns and it's not even difficult. The only other strategy that could possibly have a hope is military, but it's not at all difficult to build up your military while pursuing the coin strategy, so military will really only work with bad opponents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United States
Lebanon
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Play Penny Press!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wha???

They took civ off the list while I was trying to coordinate a $100 order with my friends. That's not right! Grmbl!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Carrick
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BagelManB wrote:
bmayer wrote:
Freelunchpirate wrote:
figarojones wrote:

Play more

You can't harvest gold. Jesus, if you could do that you could win this game twice as fast! No, you can win in 10 turns easily even without that. There are many techs that easily build up coins (Code of Laws, Printing Press, etc). You build up your coins on them, and then get banks built on the final turn.

It takes about 10-11 turns and it's not even difficult. The only other strategy that could possibly have a hope is military, but it's not at all difficult to build up your military while pursuing the coin strategy, so military will really only work with bad opponents.

Now I know you're playing wrong. The techs that give you coins (and all are only usable ONCE per turn):

Lvl 1:

Pottery- Turn in two resource chips for one coin token (max 4)

You need the resource tokens, which means you're either going the military route (and you'll be able to get two, possibly three coins out of this), or you're farming them, and passing up on the opportunity to expand your city or gain culture

Code of Laws - After you win a combat, add one coin token (max 4)

If you're going the military route, this will take several turns.

Lvl 2:
Printing Press - Turn in five culture tokens for one coin token (max 4)

Going this way means that you have to bypass building another building or harvesting resources.

Democracy - Spend 6 tech to gain one coin token

And you're going to have to build enough buildings that you have the tech to spare.

Lvl 3:
Metal casting has a coin symbol

Lvl 4:
Computers has a coin token.

It's not impossible to do all that in 11 turns, but by focusing on those, you're going to leave yourself wide open to attack. Thus, either you played wrong, or your opponent did (by not forcing you into a more defensive position.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Schroth
United States
Middletown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
figarojones wrote:
BagelManB wrote:
bmayer wrote:
Freelunchpirate wrote:
figarojones wrote:

Play more

Now I know you're playing wrong. The techs that give you coins (and all are only usable ONCE per turn):

Lvl 1:

Pottery- Turn in two resource chips for one coin token (max 4)

You need the resource tokens, which means you're either going the military route (and you'll be able to get two, possibly three coins out of this), or you're farming them, and passing up on the opportunity to expand your city or gain culture

Code of Laws - After you win a combat, add one coin token (max 4)

If you're going the military route, this will take several turns.

Lvl 2:
Printing Press - Turn in five culture tokens for one coin token (max 4)

Going this way means that you have to bypass building another building or harvesting resources.

Democracy - Spend 6 tech to gain one coin token

And you're going to have to build enough buildings that you have the tech to spare.

Lvl 3:
Metal casting has a coin symbol

Lvl 4:
Computers has a coin token.

It's not impossible to do all that in 11 turns, but by focusing on those, you're going to leave yourself wide open to attack. Thus, either you played wrong, or your opponent did (by not forcing you into a more defensive position.

It's extremely easy to do. IIRC, you left out Feudalism with a coin on it, coins on the board, great people with coins, and building banks. It is not difficult to build your military while doing this. That's all I'll say on the subject, this really isn't the place for a detailed discussion on the subject.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RobertDD wrote:
Wha???

They took civ off the list while I was trying to coordinate a $100 order with my friends. That's not right! Grmbl!

soblue Did it sell out, or just get pulled from the sale?

In the plus column, I have an existing order that includes Game of Thrones 2E and is on hold waiting for one pre-ordered item and they gave me the discounted price on the GOT, even though I ordered it before the sale was announced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Horvath
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It sold out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
For the side argument, it's a known fact that Economic Victory was too easy and Cultural Victory was too difficult. The expansion specifically introduces elements to slow the former and boost the latter. Good expansion, by the way, and has been cheap on Amazon for weeks. Anyone who picked up the base game cheap should grab the expansion right away. It's worth owning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United States
Lebanon
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Play Penny Press!
mbmbmbmbmb
RedShark92 wrote:
RobertDD wrote:
Wha???

:soblue: Did it sell out, or just get pulled from the sale?
it got pulled, then sold out, oddly enough. With the sale going on until the New Year I'm hoping it might get back in stock again before the sale is over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.