Popular Tags: [View All]
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So here is a fun happenstance in my game that I never would have imagined:

Plague of Insects is the current environment: Investigators that end their turns in the street lose 1 Stamina and 1 Sanity.

Minh Thi ended her previous turn the Downtown Streets. She was alone, but the mythos card moved a monster into her location.

Zoey is the start player and has a much better chance of killing the monster than Minh does, so she moves to Minh Thi's location. Zoey wins the battle, but has exactly one stamina and one sanity left. Per the rules of the environment card, this brings her stats down to zero/zero meaning she is devoured.

Here is the question: Under the trading rule, can Zoey give her items to Minh Thi before she dies?

I would say yes. If I understand the FAQ correctly, items can be traded any time except during combat. Technically Zoey has ended combat and it is the environment that is killing her off, not the combat itself. Thematically, since Minh Thi is right next to her, there is nothing to prevent her from taking the stuff before the body is taken away.

More generally, when EXACTLY do the effects of an environment like this take place? Do they happen individually at the end of each person's movement? Do they happen simultaneously at the end of everyone's movement phase? Technically, the "turn" isn't over until the end of phase V, so could another player have saved Zoey by getting to her location and handing her food/whiskey? Similarly, if the mythos card had changed the environment, would that have saved her?

TIA
Davy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul W
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The end of your movement is not the end of your turn. The end of their turn is the end of the Mythos phase. Any of your above suggested remedies are just a few of the possibilities for saving someone in this situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lizard
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davypi wrote:
Here is the question: Under the trading rule, can Zoey give her items to Minh Thi before she dies?

Yes of course! You can always trade if there is nothing elso going on (combat or encounter). And in this way you can even turn the devouring into a positive event for the party as you instantly get a lot of new items, money and clues.

whistle

Quote:
Investigators that end their turns in the street lose 1 Stamina and 1 Sanity.

Seems like it is at the end of the mythos phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure of the wording. If it says at the end of movement, she dies before she fights. If it says at the end of Mythos and she wasn't in the street during the upkeep phase, she dies at the end of this turn's Mythos phase, and can trade.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
apatheticexecutioner wrote:
I'm not sure of the wording. If it says at the end of movement, she dies before she fights. If it says at the end of Mythos and she wasn't in the street during the upkeep phase, she dies at the end of this turn's Mythos phase, and can trade.

Brian
I checked the wording on the ArkhamHorrorWiki(.com) it says
Quote:
Mythos Ability: Investigators that end their turns in the street lose 1 Stamina and 1 Sanity. The terror level increases by 1.
so I'd say that, overwhelmed by pain and horror, she bequeaths her possessions to her fellow Investigator before succumbing to the Mythos in a hero's death. (i.e. she trades 'em at the end of her Movement phase)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
If it says at the end of movement, she dies before she fights.

I put the exact wording on the card in the OP - it says "ends their turn". She wouldn't have died before the fight because she had more than 1/1 before moving to the location - she failed the horror check and one round of combat. So, if you're going to inflict the damage before the fight, she would have gone insane after failing the horror check and avoided the devouring. However, it was my understanding that combat is part of the movement phase, so I have a hard time agreeing with that interpretation even if the wording said "movement" unless my understanding is wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I stand by my post that precedes yours by a few minutes: you stated the wording correctly and the loss happens at the end of Mythos, which allows the Trade to occur.

Combat is not part of "movement", but it does happen during the Movement Phase. So even if the effect is triggered at the end of Phase II, the Trade could still happen because Combat is over (Combat being the Trade blocker), but Phase II isn't over until the player accepts that it is by indicating that there is nothing they can, or want, to do. The key thing for me is that the trigger is the end of a Phase, not an activity. I this case the stated Phase is (implicitly) Phase V: Mythos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.