Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tonight, a friend and I wanted to try out Evo but couldn't manage to get a third player. Although I'm sure we want to try 3-player and 4-player Evo as soon as possible, we improvised these 2-player rules to try out the game and had a lot of fun.

1) Setup
The game is setup on a four player game with each player having two colors of dinos, for a total of 20 (only 2 of which start on the board). One dino starts on each starting space. Each player is dealt a hand of 3 cards.

2) Cards
Each player only has 3 cards (and a card gene allows him to draw one more) as normal. However, when a card is played, it effects both your species of Dinos for the rest of the phase. So, for example, the Bulking Up card will give each of your two species of dinos extra attacking power.

3) Dino Mats
Each player has only one dino mat to keep track of their genes. Each gene on the dino map applies for both species of dinosaurs.

4) Initiative & Tokens
Each player gets only one initiative marker and one victory point marker. On his initiative, the player may take actions for both species of dinosaurs.

5) Movement & Birth
Movement and Birth must be performed separately for each species of dinosaurs. This means, for example, that a blue baby dino must be placed onto the board next to a blue adult dino, even when you are playing both blue and yellow species.

Your genes apply equally to both species of dinosaurs. (So, an egg gene, for example, will allow you to place 2 baby eggs -- one in each color.)

You may not attack one of your own dinos, even if it is of a different species. (What would be the point, anyway?)

6) Survival
Survival must be tracked separately for each species of dino. For each color, check the terrain and make sure you have enough genes to occupy that terrain.

7) Mutation
Each player has only one token on the mutation track, representing both species of dinosaurs. The player gains mutation points equal to half (rounded down) of the number of dinos he has on the board in both colors.

8) Evolution
For a 2-player game, only two genes are drawn each turn from the bag and placed on the bidding track. If both tiles drawn show the same gene, redraw one of the tiles until you have two different genes. Then bidding occurs as normal. There is no maximum bid.

To sum up: The rules for card play, genes, mutation, and evolution treat all a player's dinos as a single force.

Movement and Births, however, separate the two species so you are still limited on where and how you can expand. Survival is checked seperately, so that each protective gene protects both species of dinos.

Mutation points are halved since you have twice as many dinos.

These rules worked out pretty well for us and led to a fun game.
Hopefully, they'll help someone else, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The new version of Evo claims to be be playable with 2-players, which sounds like it would negate the need for this variant. However, I've heard that 2-player Evo isn't very good under the new rules so some of you may still want to try this.

If playing with the new rules and this variant, you'll want to get rid of the maximum bid limit. That is, players could bid more than 6 mutation points if they really want to (though it isn't usually a good idea).

Also, I guess you'd have eight dinos instead of 10.

I highly recommend trying this variant, as I've found it turns Evo into a fun 2-player game.

Does the new edition not have a card gene? That could be a problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
“Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ― Gary Gygax
mbmbmbmbmb
I played my 1st edition copy for the first time last night. I am bookmarking this to try later.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.