United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!
I've just played this game for the first time with the family, and we're loving it. I especially love how it doesn't take 4 hours for a single session - like my other beloved game, Battlestar Galactica. And it made me think, since I'm very active BSG PBF player, is it possible (and allowed) to play this game here?
Barely any moderator work is required (shuffling the cards and keeping track of the discards), and a game is short, doesn't require ANY text to be posted, etc.

What do you think? Is it allowed? Is anyone up for a game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Halasz
Hungary
Szada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As long as you don't use the art, it is absolutely allowed no question.

If you do use the art, well, it could be shut down.

I question the fun of playing it PBF though, as it would be too easy to track all the cards in each hand and would not be as fast and furious as the game itself. The beauty of BSG PBF is that you can play a five hour game when you otherwise might not get the players or time to do so.

But it is also my favorite game under two hours and I am always up for it.

I might be willing to moderate a game if everyone is fine with text updates, so we avoid the whole art issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Well? Am I?
badge
Don't Blink.
mbmbmbmbmb
BSW has a well done interface for 7 Wonders, leading to games taking 10-15 at times and certainly no slower than a F2F game. The PBF format would likely suck a lot of the fun out of this game. There is no story to tell, which is really where many of the PBF games here (BSG and Arkham Horror, for example) pick up their fun. Of course, maybe I'm saying that just because I can't imagine playing a game of 7 Wonders that takes almost 3 weeks if you figure 1 turn per day. But, to each their own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I might have to look into this BSW thing then

But then, the biggest issue is the timezone differences.

Anyone up for a game, though?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TDaver, I'd also suggest playing games on BSW. I'd agree that 7 Wonders isn't the ideal game for a Play-by-Forum game, as the game moves quickly in person and would take a long time (and a lot of moderation) to work in a PBF environment. Try out BSW... I think you'll like it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm on BSW pretty often playing 7 Wonders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Holmes
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ooops, sorry for the semi-necro post.

I could see it working for 3 players reasonably easy with a mod, as long as all 4 were online at the same time and played it out as it went.

Probably take a bit longer than normal game play, but sounds like it'd make for an interesting experiment especially for those of us who cant get BSW to work for whatever reason.

Given how powerful the spreadsheet for Battlestar Galactica is, I'd imagine one for 7 wonders would be exceptionally easy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
downeymb wrote:
As long as you don't use the art, it is absolutely allowed no question.

If you do use the art, well, it could be shut down.

I question the fun of playing it PBF though, as it would be too easy to track all the cards in each hand and would not be as fast and furious as the game itself. The beauty of BSG PBF is that you can play a five hour game when you otherwise might not get the players or time to do so.

But it is also my favorite game under two hours and I am always up for it.

I might be willing to moderate a game if everyone is fine with text updates, so we avoid the whole art issue.
Believe it or not, there are people who struggle to get in even a game of 7W! wow

ADDITION: My local group no longer plays this, so even if I play a pbf game of this once a year, it'd still be an improvement!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.