16 Posts

Innovation» Forums » Rules

Subject: What happens with dogma draw effect when the pile is empty? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
wind ohho
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got a game as a christmas gift. First glance, I was pretty upset because of confusion from the rule. May be it just only me and my friend...modest

It seems to be easy but I could not find any post about this though...(I guess it is pretty obvious rule but I still could not figure out)

The question is

I know that draw action allow you to draw a card from the supply pile matching the highest value amoung your top cards. If it is empty draw from next available higher pile. But how about dogma draw effect? if it specifically said to draw from specific age ans that pile is empty. For example, The Wheel card, it said draw two 1. if the prehistory (1) pile is empty, can we draw two from 2 (classical) instead.

Thank you guys and Merry Christmas!!

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, any sort of draw action automatically 'steps up' to the next pile when the one you are aiming for is empty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Teo
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
if the dogma specifies an age, and you cannot draw because its empty. that's it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Rampson
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ousgg wrote:
Yes, any sort of draw action automatically 'steps up' to the next pile when the one you are aiming for is empty.

This is correct.

duckizz wrote:
if the dogma specifies an age, and you cannot draw because its empty. that's it.

This is not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dieckmann
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scud-O wrote:
ousgg wrote:

This is correct.

duckizz wrote:

This is not.

Seconded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Eric Martin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
windku wrote:
The question is

I know that draw action allow you to draw a card from the supply pile matching the highest value amoung your top cards. If it is empty draw from next available higher pile. But how about dogma draw effect?

From the Asmadi Games rulebook:

Quote:
Draw and _____: Many dogma effects instruct you to draw and tuck, draw and meld, or draw and score a card. ... Remember that if a supply pile is empty and you try and draw from it, you draw from the next available higher pile instead. If a dogma effect instructs you to take a card of a specific value from a place other than a supply pile and there is no card of that value, you do not take a card.

Note the distinction between "draw" and "take". You always draw from supply piles, and you always step up to the next higher pile when needed. Substitutions are not allowed when, for example, taking points from an opponent or a specific card from your hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingo Griebsch
Germany
Bochum
North Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
Coding Architect | Husband and father | Boardgame addict | Loves Clutch as well as Tricky
badge
Coding Architect | Husband and father | Boardgame addict | Loves Clutch as well as Tricky
mbmbmbmbmb
W Eric Martin wrote:
Note the distinction between "draw" and "take". You always draw from supply piles, and you always step up to the next higher pile when needed. Substitutions are not allowed when, for example, taking points from an opponent or a specific card from your hand.

will this difference also be made in the Iello version of the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, if you end up having to draw from the age 10 deck and that's empty, then the game automatically ends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Smeltzer
United Kingdom
Leeds
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
d0gb0t wrote:
W Eric Martin wrote:

Yes. I've only played the Iello version, but I'm pretty sure all the rules are the same - only some of the terms have changed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingo Griebsch
Germany
Bochum
North Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bagpuss42 wrote:
d0gb0t wrote:
W Eric Martin wrote:

Yes. I've only played the Iello version, but I'm pretty sure all the rules are the same - only some of the terms have changed.

I also thought like this but I just checked the rules but don't find such a paragraph...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Petricini
United States
Canton
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, the Iello version changes this for the better. There are no longer any "take" actions. It's all Draw X. Meld has also been done away with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ward
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got the Iello version for Christmas and I think the rules are great - I've played it twice now and not needed to refer to the manual for what to do after having a couple of read throughs beforehand.

I did have a bit of a panic the first time I played - I was playing an age 1 card (it could have been age 2) late in the game and it was allowing me to draw 2 cards straight from pile 6 as all the other piles were empty... but those are the rules so I just enjoyed em!

Just need to get to grips with which are the good cards now! Astronomy has served me well!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conor Hickey
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
boywonder_uk wrote:
I got the Iello version for Christmas and I think the rules are great - I've played it twice now and not needed to refer to the manual for what to do after having a couple of read throughs beforehand.

I did have a bit of a panic the first time I played - I was playing an age 1 card (it could have been age 2) late in the game and it was allowing me to draw 2 cards straight from pile 6 as all the other piles were empty... but those are the rules so I just enjoyed em!

Just need to get to grips with which are the good cards now! Astronomy has served me well!

Sounds like The Wheel which is age 1 and yes Age 1 cards can be remarkably effective if they are top of a board when the early piles are empty, not easy to have happen though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Gibson
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Chrisxny wrote:
Scud-O wrote:
ousgg wrote:

This is correct.

duckizz wrote:

This is not.

Seconded.

So am I right in thinking that later posters to this thread have confirmed that these statements are incorrect as long as you are 'drawing' (in the original version of the game)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Newman
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
djpetric wrote:
No, the Iello version changes this for the better. There are no longer any "take" actions. It's all Draw X. Meld has also been done away with.

Does that mean, in the Iello edition, that you draw from another player's hand or score pile, and therefore do upgrade if none of that number is present to the next higher one that is present?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alphatango
msg tools
FWIW, my Iello version uses "draw" to refer to supply piles (which do step up to the next age when empty). Cards from other players' influence/hands/etc. are "transferred" (which do not step up).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.