Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig Duncan
United States
Ithaca
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking for a fast paced racing game that can be played with mixed ages (say, 10 years old and up) and with a mix of gamers and non-gamers.

I recently picked up Winner's Circle. While it's fun, it's not quite as fun as I had hoped it would be. Maybe this is because you do not own a particular horse (instead, you have placed bets on several). But I suspect it is because players in my family take a while to scan the various options before deciding on a move. That slows the game to a crawl.

So, I'm curious if anyone can recommend another race game, preferably one that moves fast and really feels like a race. Any kind of race (cars, boats, people, horses, etc.) will do.

What follows are a few of my own ideas. I have never played any of them; I have just read about them on BGG.

Formula Dé: The obvious suggestion, though I have read of complaints that the game moves slowly because people tend to count out long sequences of spaces on the board in deciding which die to roll. I have also read that the game really shines with 6 or more people; that is great but I'd like one that shines with 4 players too.

Powerboats: Don't know a whole lot about this one.

Ave Caesar: Probably a good choice, given my criteria. What has stopped me from getting this so far is the common opinion that the out-of-print Ravensburger edition iss superior to the current, in-print Asmodee version. (The Ravensburger is supposed to be more tense owing to a less forgiving track.)

Snow Tails: This one strikes me as probably too mathy to be fast-paced.

Rallyman: A possibility, though I wonder whether my kids would be put off by the start-a-different-times nature of a rally race.

Other suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
Ave Caesar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Your observation on Formula De is probably true (and I encountered these problems also) but it is nevertheless a great game.

Powerboats is sheer fun - I can highly recommend it.

I found Snow Tails very boring and bland - but others seem to love it!

Can't comment on Ave Caesar and Rallyman.

Other suggestions are Speed Circuit, IMHO the best auto racing game ever (but may be a little too heavy for a ten-year old), Mississippi Queen great fun with a variable track, and if you like horses, I still consider Jockey a great family game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JEREMY WILHM
United States
EDMOND
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
Insert clever phrase here.
mbmbmbmbmb
My two favorite racing games are PitchCar and Das Motorsportspiel. While they are both on the expensive side, I can't recommend them enough. Pitchcar is a great dexterity racing game, and Das Motorsportspiel's 30 second time limit on turns keeps the game moving very quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Dodor
United States
St. Paul
MN
flag msg tools
badge
I'm gonna be the next Canadian Dracula
mbmbmbmbmb
If accessibly is indeed your highest priority Pitchcar or Ave Caesar should be considered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alberto Casarrubios
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Formula D might be the best one. Four players is OK, although you can go for 2 cars per player if you want it nastier. And, as any game that can have AP problems, a sand timer can do marvels: once the time runs out, you just roll your gear die and move that many spaces forward on a straight line (adding to the tension and the theme).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
cdunc123 wrote:
Formula Dé: The obvious suggestion, though I have read of complaints that the game moves slowly because people tend to count out long sequences of spaces on the board in deciding which die to roll. I have also read that the game really shines with 6 or more people; that is great but I'd like one that shines with 4 players too.

I ran a tournament and had to impose some house rules. You should be figuring distances during other players' turns. When it is your turn, your must immediately select a gear, roll a die and start moving at least one space a second with no takebacks. If you stop, your car goes straight for the rest of the turn. Makes for more of a race experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EGG Head
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ave Caesar is your winner Ravensburger edition is best although you could probably take out a movement card from the deck (not sure what value you'd want to remove, a 2 or 3 maybe?) to make the newer version more challenging
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Duncan
United States
Ithaca
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, everyone, for the helpful replies!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
Blue Moon City is a race, just not on a circular track.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
DO NOT CLICK HERE!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Fearsome Floors could be fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Sheldon
United States
Springfield
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ave Caesar. We use a house rule. (It was a mistake the first time we played, but we really like it!) If you can not move (play a card) you still must discard a card. devil

This makes the game more cut throat and lots of fun! I think you would have to play with people that are okay with not being able to finish the track and don't mind some good old fashion "player interaction"....

I love plaing this way and actually have never won the game. (I usually don't even cross the finish line) But it is still a blast!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Fisher
United States
Carrollton
TX
flag msg tools
http://d6desperados.com
badge
Mooo!
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend Powerboats and Fast Flowing Forest Fellers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Mendez
United States
Eau Claire
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
+1 Fast Flowing Forest Fellers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Holden
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RoboRally is always a good time.

Moto Grand Prix might also be worth checking out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Duncan
United States
Ithaca
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the additional suggestions.

One more question: Has anyone tried Junkyard Races? What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Liken
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my gaming groups play Long Shot quite a bit as a horse racing game. You can purchase your own horses, and bet on any horse you like. It seems to go quite well.

Jamaica is a pirate themed game which is essentially a race. Might be worth a look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Hellyer
United States
Aurora
Illinois
flag msg tools
I agree about recommending Formula De. Formula De would be a great one. Goes very fast, easy rules, and additional tracks have been published so you can race on different auto tracks. With the different racetracks you can even have a championship season or tournament having races on different tracks and awarding victory points as with the NASCAR and Formula 1 seasons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Hellyer
United States
Aurora
Illinois
flag msg tools
[/q]

We usually do not allow counting ahead. You roll and have to move your car and can't backtrack or touch the board counting ahead. Keeps the game moving.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.