Popular Tags: [View All]
Travis P
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
[Gigamic version]

This is a great game.

However, after a few plays the player with a more offensive strategy (pushing their nearest pieces forward) seems to leave themselves vulnerable.

It appears a reasonable strategy is for a player to get a gap on their backrow by just moving one or two pieces forward, and then osscilate the remaining pieces (such as the 1-ers) on the backrow waiting for the opponent to make an error when coming forward.

This has lead to both players not moving forward and osscilating bits on their backrow, a form of stalemate.

Not repeating moves as a house rule is not an option, as you can get several pieces on your backrow for this purpose.

Is this a problem? Or would you think this house rule could solve the problem?:

Quote:
'The last piece a player moves (whether the original piece in a one-piece movment, or the last piece in a bounce move) cannot ultimately come to rest on the moving player's shore or a row closer to that player.'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you tried this strategy against the AI at http://www.gyges.com/ ?

FWIW it's been a while since I played much Gyges, but I don't recall this kind of defensive turtling being effective when we were playing it. (We never had repeating cycles or stalemates.) I'm guessing this may just be a groupthink issue...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danger Mouse
msg tools
Russ is right, Gyges does not suffer from the stalemates you have encountered.

I bought the new Gigamic version. Its such a nice coffee-table talking-piece. One thing I notice is they split the rules into Basic and Advanced. The 'Replacement-Rule' is the sole rule in the Advanced section.

I believe the Basic-Rules could suffer from the stalemates you describe. Just play the advanced rules. It works and is essential for the full game experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.