Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Secret deliveries can be a good catch-up, but in general, they are way overpowered (1d6 fortune just for moving to Paris?)

Here are a few variants, in increasing order of severity:

1) when discarding secret delivery, draw a city card. If the card is a trouble in town or a danger card, the player must resolve it normally. Any other card is discarded without effect. Glory from danger cards is gained normally.

2) Half of the roll (rounded down) is fortune, the rest is glory (a roll of 5 would provide 2 fortune and 3 glory).

3) Only the first point rolled is fortune, the rest is glory (a roll of 5 produces 1 fortune and 4 glory).

4) all points are glory, not fortune.

2-4) are mutually exclusive, but can be combined with 1).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
You think that's over-powered? Try playing "It's a Fake" on someone about to cash in a 10 Fortune artifact!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nyhotep wrote:
Secret deliveries can be a good catch-up, but in general, they are way overpowered (1d6 fortune just for moving to Paris?)

Here are a few variants, in increasing order of severity:

1) when discarding secret delivery, draw a city card. If the card is a trouble in town or a danger card, the player must resolve it normally. Any other card is discarded without effect. Glory from danger cards is gained normally.

2) Half of the roll (rounded down) is fortune, the rest is glory (a roll of 5 would provide 2 fortune and 3 glory).

I have only played once so far, but multiple secret deliveries certainly won it for me. I only recovered one artifact the whole game, and gained something like 14 points from 4 deliveries.

Combining your #1 and #2 seems like the best idea. It increases difficulty and also reduces reward. I think #3 and #4 reduce the reward too much.

I had also thought of simply reducing the die roll. Like the payment could be d6-1, or maybe d6-2. So you have a possibility of getting nothing for your efforts. This doesn't affect the difficulty though, which is too easy.

Another idea was to change the Secret Delivery card to say "Discard this if you currently hold a Secret Delivery card." That's because every time I went to a city to deliver, I drew another one before I cashed in the old one. You could also just add a hard limit of one delivery per game. These should work, but they don't really make thematic sense.

Also, what about a look-up table that encodes the distance between your current location and your delivery location, and allows the reward to scale based on distance?

Before changing anything, though, I need to play a few more times to see how the default rules pan out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.