United States
Winston-Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
King of Tokyo surprised me.

Although I was very curious about the game when it first came out due to the cool theme, but I passed it up. I was concerned that it might be too random or too fiddly, a drawback I sometimes feel theme-driven games have. From reading the reviews, I also knew it wouldn't scratch that eurogamer itch in the same way Moongha Invaders had. While it turns out I was right about that, I did find something I hadn't expected.

So here I was, still curious about the game and actively wanting to like it, when my friend John drops it off at my house and asks me to learn the rules. I quite happily agreed and took it from him. When I unwrapped and unboxed it (yes, John let me have those honors), the colorful artwork immediately grabbed my attention. The monster standups were really cool and the artwork on the cards looked great. So, while it certainly looked promising, I was still skeptical. How would it play? I really wanted to like this game, but I didn't want to be let down as had happened with other games I'd bought or played based on theme alone.

I removed everything from the box and began reading the rules. As I read, my hopes were raised - the rules were an easy read and the game didn't seem complicated or fiddly or long. As I played a test game, this was confirmed and the fun that might be had with multiple players became evident. Once I felt I had the rules down, I added it to my pile to bring to the game night the following evening.

The next night was the real test. I brought the game out and recruited four other players, with John among them. After we took a couple of minutes to set everything up, I quickly went over the rules. A few questions; then we got started. One of the players at the table, after choosing his character, said he was going for straight victory points. He felt it was clear it would be the easiest and quickest way to victory. In the back of my mind, it worried me that he might be right. But it didn't matter, as something better was about to unfold. The woman sitting next to him set the tone, announcing that she was choosing Cyber Bunny, "since it was the logical choice".

Ultimately, I don't remember the specifics of who controlled which monster, what cards were turned over or bought, or even who won. What I do remember is the chemistry at the table and the tremendous amount of fun we had. We attacked each other a lot, so many of the comments revolved around the claw symbols on the dice. I specifically remember statements such as "Aww yeah, it's all about the claw" and "Nope, you know he can't kick the claw". Everyone at the table was giving each other advice about keeping this die and rerolling that one, and telling them what results to roll and what to do. We were the loudest table in the restaurant by far, with everyone at the table chanting "Claw! claw! claw!" every time the dice were rolled. I'm talking about grown adults here.

When the game was over, what we did next was to play again, by unanimous consent of the same five enthusiastic players. And when that game was done, a third time. After that, we broke up and went on to play some heavy euro. I really don't remember for sure what it was, possibly Urban Sprawl, but I definitely remember those three games of King of Tokyo.

With the right crowd, King of Tokyo is a monstrous amount of fun.

Also posted on my new blog at www.spielist.net
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gastel Etswane
Canada
Peterborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mb
It is so light and portable. Enjoyable by anyone and with tons of different strategies to victory. No analysis paralysis and everyone involved in every turn.

Cheering. Growning. Picking up the dice for sweet revenge (or a quick heal).

This game is simply amazing and the art is a big hook for people to get into the game. Thanks for the review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manu
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
I am not a cyborg!
mbmbmbmbmb
And I just love how it brings gamers and non gamers to the same table for an evening of fun. It's rare to have a game that can cater to both crowds. Undoubtedly one of my better buys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Kaiser
Germany
Kriftel
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great review ! Completely covers what this game is all about: tons of fun ! I got this game a few days ago and since then we have played it 11 times... all three player games and i can not wait to play it with 5 or 6... must be hilariously funny...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Wen
United States
Lake Forest
Click to Select (if applicable)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome session report! I really want this game because of its simple, yet fun rule set. But it's sold out everywhere online and local. soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.