United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread was inspired by this thread;
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/8118610#8118610

Many if not the majority of wargamers are creeping towards or have already passed the big 50. Several of these wargamers have enjoyed wargaming for many years. One of the problems of getting older is our health. The eyes are one of the most common ailments to take a hit and those small numbers on the units seem to be harder to read these days. The text in ,I think Friedrich, was impossible to read even with my reading specs on! The eyesight problem can be a pain but it is possible to overcome most reading problems. A sheet of large print unit stats or a card manifest can all help, try an "E reader" too.

The problem I have is my memory, it really is poor. This is the reason I only learn one game at a time and stay with that game for a while before moving on to something else. The Fence rules in CC for example are looked up for every scenario that has a fence in it. Now looking up something that you know about is a niggle. Totally forgetting to do something is much worse. I nearly always forget to check for unjamming in CC. I love my wargaming but it is becoming increasingly harder to tie down a set of rules.

Do you have any forgetful anecdotes that you can share with us and make me feel I am not alone.

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
My videos are a testament to lack of memory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb

I am totally with you on the memory front except it tends to be chores l should have done and things my g/f tells. Wargame rules not so much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Marl
United States
Bethel Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My memory is OK, but it takes me longer to learn new things, like rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will (JR) Todd
United States
Clearwater
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
usrlocal wrote:
so far the thing that's bugged me the most has been trying to read articles in old issues of The General. The typeface is just too damned small! shake

me too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My memory is pretty spotty in that there are some things I can remember and some I cannot.

A few years ago I had some friends over for a weekend gaming session. I 'crashed' early one night while they played on. I awoke (groggily and still sleep deprived) to find them playing Triumph and Glory (which I had not played for a couple of years because I like other games on the topic better). One of them asked me a question about cavalry counter-charging and I was not only able to cite the rule properly but even knew the page it was on!

My favorite game is Up Front, but I have to look up the rules for routing EVERY time it happens. I even made a little flow chart/cheat sheet and I STILL have to look up the rule when I play (because I never remember if I wrote the cheat sheet correctly).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Goodknecht
United States
Bourbonnais
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Memory is a definite problem and also small print, even sometimes with reading glasses. But my biggest problem is my attention span and staying focused. I find my mind 'drifting off' in other directions while I'm playing a game. That is one of the downsides of playing solo. It doesn't happen when I'm playing a game with my wife.

I've tried to exercise my memory by writing about various things during my life and trying to remember dates, people and events. I even tested my memory once by writing my history in wargaming. That got so long I eventually turned it into a geeklist.

But I have found that my short term memory is the biggest problem. Like getting up to get something and then forgetting what it was that I wanted the moment I'm standing up!

I suppose none of this is unusual at my age. I'll be 60 in less than three months. I wasn't really bothered when I turned 40 or even 50. But there is something about 60...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucius Cornelius
United States
Rome
SPQR
flag msg tools
badge
Lord Protector of Nothing in Particular
mbmbmbmbmb
I made 1 inch square counters for Carrier
because the original counters are too small.
Better lighting helps too.
It is God's way of telling us to slow down,
and as a man of profound spiritual advancement,
I pretend not to hear. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Umm, what was the question again?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Arthur
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be 58 on Friday...although I seem to be having a bit more trouble remembering people's names these days and I did forget the wedding anniversary this year the old retrieval system is still pretty sharp when it comes to important stuff like gaming...

I agree with those above regarding seeing...it does seem to be getting harder to read some of those counters and I have to reach for the old 'Sherlock Holmes' magnifier more than I used to but the modern day multi-colour graphics used these days certainly make it a lot easier...GMT games ar particularly good in this direction...please take note other games publishers...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lighting seems to be more of a problem for me than it used to be.

And I forgot to mention that my game-situation short term memory is highly dependent on how well-slept I am. I cannot play games with inverted units because I cannot remember who is where!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Genghis Ahn
United States
San Clemente
California
flag msg tools
Sometimes You Are Wrong !
badge
Coolest Promo Ever ! Stonewall Lives
mbmbmbmbmb
I carry around a big magnifier with a built in LED light in my computer backpack. All the other Execs gave me a really hard time about it until the lights went off and the reports came out. Then everyone wanted to borrow my glass !!! It was priceless.

Also, for the iphone check out the over 40 app. It turns the camera into a magifying glass (up to 10x) and controls the flash to provide light !!! And it is free !!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wintz
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
Boo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Are we really comparing the size of our magnifiers? < grin >

Happy birthday (early), Steve.

btw, what was this thread about again?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Arthur
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mwintz wrote:

Believe it or not Michael you are the first person in the entire world to actually wish me a happy birthday this year and for that I thank you...some GG for you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Arnaudo
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"My spoon is too big!"
mbmbmbmbmb
uhm, what was the original post about?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Macc
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Atraxrobustus wrote:
mwintz wrote:

Believe it or not Michael you are the first person in the entire world to actually wish me a happy birthday this year and for that I thank you...some GG for you

I'm sorry but I am confused. Is this Friday or is this Steve's birthday(happy birthday) or is already Friday in Australia.

I am so confused.

On another note, I just opened my brand new copy of ASLK 3 and I was just wondering if it was just me but it seems that the infantry counters have shrunk compared to the Squad leader form way back when. Please if I am wrong, someone set me straight because these counters sure are hard on the aging eyes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Arthur
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
enlightenedknave wrote:
Atraxrobustus wrote:
mwintz wrote:

I'm sorry but I am confused. Is this Friday or is this Steve's birthday(happy birthday) or is already Friday in Australia.

I am so confused.

On another note, I just opened my brand new copy of ASLK 3 and I was just wondering if it was just me but it seems that the infantry counters have shrunk compared to the Squad leader form way back when. Please if I am wrong, someone set me straight because these counters sure are hard on the aging eyes.

When it's Thursday at your place it's Friday here...and there's nothing you can do about it!!!...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rexbinary
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
In Stereo
badge
I pwnz j00!
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Van Dam
Canada
Houston
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The good thing about your memory going is that it makes it easy to play games solo!! You forget the other guy's plans or his cards (if you're playing a CDG) ... I haven't hit 40 yet and I'm already finding that I'm forgetting such things....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
Scurvodsky wrote:
The good thing about your memory going is that it makes it easy to play games solo!! You forget the other guy's plans or his cards (if you're playing a CDG)

I find the lack quite disturbing (and always has been) in games
with interrupt-like actions, and even those quick shifts which
are just a part of CDG/pulsed systems. Always preferred the I-go_you_go
style for solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Marshall
United States
Roselle
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seven years past 50 (and incidentally, you don't creep towards 50. You slam into it like a crash test dummy hitting a windshield in an uncontrolled collision) and, yes, no doubt the memory slips. Even in my 30's, I always made a "I'm a Moron List" - a few rules I always forgot during play that I'd write down on a 3x5 index card.

I still have the Moron List. Problem is, the only thing that fits on the 3x5 card now are the rules I remember.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bobek
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
CubbieBlues wrote:
Seven years past 50 (and incidentally, you don't creep towards 50. You slam into it like a crash test dummy hitting a windshield in an uncontrolled collision) and, yes, no doubt the memory slips. Even in my 30's, I always made a "I'm a Moron List" - a few rules I always forgot during play that I'd write down on a 3x5 index card.

I still have the Moron List. Problem is, the only thing that fits on the 3x5 card now are the rules I remember.

Thomas, I love your avatar! Back in 1969, the Andy Frain company called and hired me to work the anticipated World Series games at Wrigley Field. I worked 7 games but the @*!*^#@ Mets beat us out. I would have been PAID to see the Cubs in the World Series!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bobek
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You may need larger counters for weaker eyes, say 54mm?

I love this thread! You guys are making me feel much younger than my 62 years!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iden Hill
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
No, worries here. I'm still tarp as a shack!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Goodknecht
United States
Bourbonnais
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Growing old and all the accompanying problems is a pain in the ass but I doubt if any of us are ready to take the only known 'cure' for ageing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.