Popular Tags: [View All]
Confusion Under Fire
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember the video tactical squad games where each player would portray a character and they would work together to achieve victory. There seemed to be lots of these type of video games at one time and I have just realised that Euro games have quite a few co op games. I am trying hard to think of any board wargames that are co op.

I know that Ambush can be played by 2 players, simply splitting the squad into 2 but this has no special rules and players can easily communicate with each other.

Friedrich has an element of Co Op but this is against another player and not an AI

It would seem a possibility considering there are many solo games which have an AI and a few multi player wargames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
whatambush wrote:
I remember the video tactical squad games where each player would portray a character and they would work together to achieve victory. There seemed to be lots of these type of video games at one time and I have just realised that Euro games have quite a few co op games. I am trying hard to think of any board wargames that are co op.

I know that Ambush can be played by 2 players, simply splitting the squad into 2 but this has no special rules and players can easily communicate with each other.

Friedrich has an element of Co Op but this is against another player and not an AI

It would seem a possibility considering there are many solo games which have an AI and a few multi player wargames.

The Republic of Rome is the closest thing that comes to mind. It's mostly politics and backstabbing, but every few turns someone gets sent out to the hinterland to fight a (simple in gaming terms) war against Philip of Macedon, or Hannibal, or whoever the villain of the day is.
It's an interesting balance; the best way to defeat Rome's enemies is to give one player so much martial power that he can win the political game, but if you fail to defeat the barbarians, everyone loses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tham
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Best game ever!
badge
Happy Gaming!
mbmbmbmbmb
D Day Omaha Beach

and speaking of tactical video games

Gears of War
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Spencer
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chriswtham wrote:
First one I thought of. Boots on the Ground is another. IIRC London's Burning, Tokyo Express and RAF allowed for cooperative play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey D Myers
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
"Always rely upon a happy mind alone." Geshe Chekhawa.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All of the VPG States of Siege (TM) games can be played cooperatively. Some are used in classrooms in that fashion, AFAIR.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Bruhn
United States
Roseburg
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some multi-player wargames lend themselves to teamwork on each side. Empires in Arms, at its best, often involves coalitions trying to bring down the French (or occassionally the British). Gunslinger scenarios can involve a team playing against a particularly dangerous gun fighter. I played several good cooperative naval games including Wooden Ships & Iron Men, Ironclads, and Jutland. World in Flames, Campaign for North Africa, The Devil's Cauldron, and other huge beastly monster games need teams of players on each side.

Other than that, there is a miniatures role playing game in which each of the players were officers in a British unit in the Sudan. But I forgot the name of that game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virre Linwendil Annergård
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
aiabx wrote:
whatambush wrote:

The Republic of Rome is the closest thing that comes to mind. It's mostly politics and backstabbing, but every few turns someone gets sent out to the hinterland to fight a (simple in gaming terms) war against Philip of Macedon, or Hannibal, or whoever the villain of the day is.
It's an interesting balance; the best way to defeat Rome's enemies is to give one player so much martial power that he can win the political game, but if you fail to defeat the barbarians, everyone loses.

While I only played the AH version once, and then got the rules and got the VG version so far, without playing the later version this is best Co-op ever. The traces from it is clearly vissible in Battlestar Galactica But RoR makes everything better.

Is it what you searched for, maybe, it is a conflict simulator, but without the heavy use of dice it would proably more be called à Euro
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Buse
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Strike of the Eagle, Angola, Wellington, and Kutuzov are all four-player games for teams of two players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rui Serrabulho
Portugal
Lisboa
Lisboa
flag msg tools
badge
You have to, at least from a distance, look as if you know what you're doing, and I can manage that.
mbmbmbmbmb
1812: The Invasion of Canada and D-Day at Omaha Beach (this was already stated above).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Memoir '44: Overlord - designed for team-play

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

My favourite video game in this genre was Hidden & Dangerous - man I loved that game.

As far as board games you can play Commands & Colors - Epic Ancients (expansion #5) in teams.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Silverman
United States
Halfway between Castro and Mickey Mouse
Florida (FL)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Popular Front is designed for team play -- so 2, 4, or 6 players on two sides. Each player is a separate faction, but you win or lose as a team.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred Wallace
United States
Champaign
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the ways you can play Boots on the Ground is as a two-player coop against the insurgents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Genghis Ahn
United States
San Clemente
California
flag msg tools
Sometimes You Are Wrong !
badge
Coolest Promo Ever ! Stonewall Lives
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a tactical game but Wellington played with four is a semi-cooperative game with frenemies.......

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Roberts

Unspecified
msg tools
Warren Bruhn wrote:

Other than that, there is a miniatures role playing game in which each of the players were officers in a British unit in the Sudan. But I forgot the name of that game.

Science vs Pluck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Navajo Wars is solitaire, and also I understand a two-player (semi-)COOPERATIVE game. Not out yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Bruhn
United States
Roseburg
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
badinfo wrote:
Warren Bruhn wrote:

Science vs Pluck

Thanks, Bob!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Don't hang around, 'cause two's a crowd on my cloud, baby.
badge
If I were to hang my head, I'd miss all the rainbows. And I'd drown in raindrops instead.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think any solitaire game can be played cooperatively by two or more people. A simple method is to just take turns. But if you want to, you can also try divvying up units or activation points and taking turns together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
Patrick Carroll wrote:
I think any solitaire game can be played cooperatively by two or more people. A simple method is to just take turns. But if you want to, you can also try divvying up units or activation points and taking turns together.

This is how I prefer games designed as solo. Probably because
the system itself is less interesting (in terms of decisions)
than what the denizens of my skull would give.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Spencer
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
calandale wrote:
Patrick Carroll wrote:
This is how I prefer games designed as solo. Probably because the system itself is less interesting (in terms of decisions) than what the denizens of my skull would give.
Never thought of this and am having difficulty imagining it. In a solo game like D-Day at Omaha Beach, for example, a two-player game consists in each player commanding all units on 1/2 of the play area simultaneously. What I think you're suggesting is that both players command all units on the entire map on successive turns: player A on odd # turns, player B on even.

If I imagine this correctly, there must be a "like-mindedness" between the players or the discontinuity in command will lead to disaster. What is simulated here, it seems to me, is the war room, more than the command. I wouldn't begin a game like this without a consensus on goals & means. Then, as the game progresses, more conversation and consensus on changing conditions, new goals & diminishing resources.

This seems to be a very different game experience from co-op gaming, where each player has his job to do and does it well or badly to the benefit or detriment of other co-opping players. Two-player successive solitiare, to have continuity in command, requires players to find consensus before the turn. Co-op games, in my experience, require players to do what needs to be done during the turn.

I can see where the experience of two-player successive solitaire would be a blast. There's almost no reason to limit it to two, really. Going back to D-Day at Omaha Beach, I'd like to get a war room for this game with three or more wargamers. Trying to find consensus with three or more of my gaming buddies? What a discussion that would be!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mb
superflat wrote:
calandale wrote:
Patrick Carroll wrote:
This is how I prefer games designed as solo. Probably because the system itself is less interesting (in terms of decisions) than what the denizens of my skull would give.
Never thought of this and am having difficulty imagining it. In a solo game like D-Day at Omaha Beach, for example, a two-player game consists in each player commanding all units on 1/2 of the play area simultaneously. What I think you're suggesting is that both players command all units on the entire map on successive turns: player A on odd # turns, player B on even.

If I imagine this correctly, there must be a "like-mindedness" between the players or the discontinuity in command will lead to disaster. What is simulated here, it seems to me, is the war room, more than the command. I wouldn't begin a game like this without a consensus on goals & means. Then, as the game progresses, more conversation and consensus on changing conditions, new goals & diminishing resources.

This seems to be a very different game experience from co-op gaming, where each player has his job to do and does it well or badly to the benefit or detriment of other co-opping players. Two-player successive solitiare, to have continuity in command, requires players to find consensus before the turn. Co-op games, in my experience, require players to do what needs to be done during the turn.

I can see where the experience of two-player successive solitaire would be a blast. There's almost no reason to limit it to two, really. Going back to D-Day at Omaha Beach, I'd like to get a war room for this game with three or more wargamers. Trying to find consensus with three or more of my gaming buddies? What a discussion that would be!

I don't know that game. Take something like Ambush! or Voyage of
the Pandora however - you'd make some joint decisions together,
and work towards the goal with a few pieces each as you would work
together in a Pandemic game. Then there are games like Source of the
Nile or Tales of the Arabian Nights, which are essentially solo games -
even if you can play with multiple players (akin to bowling); these are
also more enjoyable for me with others. I'm not so sure that competitive
games are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
It's Wallace, so it's partly euro, but look at God's Playground. Players have to collectively fight off invading hordes of cubes the game sends them, and players never have a chance to attack each other. In the end, it's deviousness that wins the day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mb
garygarison wrote:
It's Wallace, so it's partly euro, but look at God's Playground. Players have to collectively fight off invading hordes of cubes the game sends them, and players never have a chance to attack each other. In the end, it's deviousness that wins the day.

Been wanting that one actually. Just haven't seen a price I could
go for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
I ended up DIY-ing mine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Spencer
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
calandale wrote:
garygarison wrote:
Been wanting that one actually. Just haven't seen a price I could go for.
Too true on this title. As a rule of thumb, I'll divide the cost of a game by 10 to see how many plays I'll need to consider the game worth buying. Sometimes 20 for better produced GMT titles. I don't see me getting God's Playground to the table twice, let alone 5 or 10 times. And 3 player? No comment on the game: I can count on one hand the number of three player games our group has played in three years. Could be perfect for others, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.