Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rick Janssen
United States
Lake Zurich
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The concept of changing dice affects many different aspects of the game: focusing, assisting, spells, terror results, etc. My line of thinking is this:

Some characters (e.g. Professor Harvey) are more attuned to a particular field (e.g. lore) than others. Therefore, they get an extra side of a die devoted to their specialty (e.g. can change a terror result to a lore result on one die per roll). So, when the dice are rolled, one die can be either/or for them (e.g. either terror or lore). They have a greater opportunity of rolling their specialty.

Using this logic, then it seems obvious that when using a spell, a terror result could be changed to a lore result before locking it onto a spell. To me, the phrase "without chaning its face" is intended to clarify that the spell doesn't lock a dice to be rolled at a later time, but that it has to be used as whatever face is up. When using characters' special abilities one isn't changing the face of the die when it is moved from the dice pool to the spell, one is changing the face of a die in the pool first (as allowed by the special ability) and then moving it to the spell without changing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Krauss
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
but I'm not the only one
badge
My hands are small, I know, but they're not yours, they are my own
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems like a reasonable interpretation of the rules. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
rdjanssen wrote:
Using this logic, then it seems obvious that when using a spell, a terror result could be changed to a lore result before locking it onto a spell. To me, the phrase "without chaning its face" is intended to clarify that the spell doesn't lock a dice to be rolled at a later time, but that it has to be used as whatever face is up. When using characters' special abilities one isn't changing the face of the die when it is moved from the dice pool to the spell, one is changing the face of a die in the pool first (as allowed by the special ability) and then moving it to the spell without changing it.

I would fully agree with you. That is how I understand the mechanism to work.

(i) Harvey Walters rolls the dice, one of the result is Terror.
(ii) He may then use his special ability to change the Terror result to a Lore result.
(iii) He may then play a Spell* and place the Lore dice on the spell.

A Special Ability such as this can also be used to stop a possible Terror effect from occurring.

* I play that Spells are only spent after the dice have been rolled. That is how Elder Sign: Omens is played and how one of the designers plays. Not that it changes anything with this particular situation
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xris,

I second that notion ~ Spells are used after the roll. Thus, Harvey could certainly change the face on the die before devoting it to the Spell.

The Professor
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.