United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
Grand Rapids Area Boardgamers
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played a game of Farkle with some friends last week, and they introduced to us a house rule they've adopted. It elevated the game quite a bit for me.

When a player (A) decides to stop and "bank" their points, whatever dice that Player A has remaining are passed on to the next player (B). Player B now has a choice: roll all six dice as normal and start fresh, or roll the dice passed to them to attempt a steal.

If Player B attempts a steal and these dice don't score, Player B busts and all are passed on to Player C as normal, with Player A scoring as usual. If, however, Player B manages to score with the dice, then all of the points Player A accumulated are passed on to Player B, who may continue rolling and risking the points, or may stop, passing the remaining dice on to Player C, etc.

This adds a significant layer of tension and decision-making to rolls. It's a bad idea to stop when you have a lot of dice to roll, as there's a good chance the next player will be able to steal from you. Deciding whether or not to attempt the steal also becomes quite a calculation of expected value, plus deciding how dangerous it is to let the previous player have those points.

A solid addition. We'll probably play this way from now on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Hims
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JonBob wrote:
We played a game of Farkle with some friends last week, and they introduced to us a house rule they've adopted. It elevated the game quite a bit for me.

I'm on the forum specifically to raise a similar question. As far as I'm concerned, Farkle is 'just' a modified version of a game I call Portito, having been introduced by my older sister before I even got into board gaming.

Hence, a 'house rule' I was playing from first receiving Farkle (but only scanning the rules) is basically the same as Jon's "steal", but it's a "copy" or "build": i.e. Player A gets the points they've banked, but Player B also gets them. Roughly the same tension as Jon describes, but you can now build big scores round & round the table. I might play the "steal" variant, but I'm happy with "build".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Velasco
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
leeds55 wrote:
JonBob wrote:

I'm on the forum specifically to raise a similar question. As far as I'm concerned, Farkle is 'just' a modified version of a game I call Portito, having been introduced by my older sister before I even got into board gaming.

Hence, a 'house rule' I was playing from first receiving Farkle (but only scanning the rules) is basically the same as Jon's "steal", but it's a "copy" or "build": i.e. Player A gets the points they've banked, but Player B also gets them. Roughly the same tension as Jon describes, but you can now build big scores round & round the table. I might play the "steal" variant, but I'm happy with "build".

This "building" variant is written into the official Farkle rules as "High Stakes". You can only this this after everyone is on the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.